College Basketball Scandal

UAZip0510

3 hours ago, K92 said:

I am a bit unfazed by all the uproar over "cheating".  After Penn State basically got slapped on the wrist for covering for a serial pedophile, I kinda lost all hope for the NCAA.  They are all hat no cattle.  To borrow a government term, these high power college programs are "too big to fail" and justice is simply just not going to happen.

I'm not disagreeing with you there, but this cheating isn't victimless.

15 hours ago, K92 said:

It is not illegal for one person to give another person money.  I don't think it should be an NCAA violation either.  The current scandal was not a simple case of one person giving money to another person.

Except the IRS has a cap of $14,000 tax free.  But a gift is different than a "purchase" or an "exchange of goods".  If you're being paid $100k for an autograph, that would be taxable.  If you're paying someone in-so-facto to come play at a school, that is also taxable.  Not a gift because there's clearly an exchange of goods, so to speak.

So yes, it is a victim crime; the victim is the US Tax Paying citizens.

14 hours ago, K92 said:

You act as if this isn't the current reality.

That's because the current reality is them lying, cheating, and throwing money around to make it that way.

11 hours ago, K92 said:

I am a bit unfazed by all the uproar over "cheating".  After Penn State basically got slapped on the wrist for covering for a serial pedophile, I kinda lost all hope for the NCAA.  They are all hat no cattle.  To borrow a government term, these high power college programs are "too big to fail" and justice is simply just not going to happen.

Less a government term, and more a politics term...that was paid for by the institutions that pay our politicians.  However it is possible to monetize the system to take away the incentive.  Just like how deregulation of the banks/wall-street, allowing institutions to "self-police" themselves, failure to reign in monopolies creating bubbles; lead to the crash; you can pass regulations to prevent those things.  The problem is, there's still a mechanism and incentive for those organizations to make sure it doesn't happen (by paying politicians).  Take away their ability to do that (campaign finance reform) it levels the playing field.  

Same applies to the NCAA.  You can level the playing field.  But as it sets right now, how are those with the $$$$ and thus power going to allow anyone else to cut into their power?  Just throw $$$$ around to prevent that from happening, and stack all governing boards with your own people.

4 hours ago, K92 said:

That's quite a reach.

It isn't though.  Because Tax evasion is also not a victimless crime.  Taxes pay for everything that we as Tax Payers benefit from.  If you don't pay you're taxes you're effectively not paying for the things we all utilize.  Not paying taxes is effectively steeling, and the stealing is from the rest of us.  

Edited by Balsy

54 minutes ago, Balsy said:

It isn't though.  Because Tax evasion is also not a victimless crime.  Taxes pay for everything that we as Tax Payers benefit from.  If you don't pay you're taxes you're effectively not paying for the things we all utilize.  Not paying taxes is effectively steeling, and the stealing is from the rest of us.  

OK.  This would be a big deal if there wasn't this thing called deficit spending.  Not one person missed a welfare check; not one road didn't get repaired; not one space shuttle didn't blast off; nary a military mission wasn't carried out and the CIA's block ops budget wasn't impacted at all by the likes of Leona Helmsley and Willie Nelson not paying their taxes.

Again, quite a reach.

4 hours ago, K92 said:

OK.  This would be a big deal if there wasn't this thing called deficit spending.  Not one person missed a welfare check; not one road didn't get repaired; not one space shuttle didn't blast off; nary a military mission wasn't carried out and the CIA's block ops budget wasn't impacted at all by the likes of Leona Helmsley and Willie Nelson not paying their taxes.

Again, quite a reach.

I still disagree.  Not a stretch at all.  Even with deficit spending you carry the debt.  The more money to pay down the debt the less interest.  Getting asshats who aren't paying taxes is away of getting that money to help pay down that debt.  It IS, by law, money that should be payed.  Not paying it = asshat cheating the system.  And thus costing money.  Funny how many conservatives are quick to want to crack down on welfare fraud, and not on tax fraud.

So we either live in a country of laws or we don't.  Keener I didn't realize you were such an advocate for free hand-outs.  Allowing people to cheat on their taxes is a free handout.

3 hours ago, Balsy said:

I still disagree.  Not a stretch at all.  Even with deficit spending you carry the debt.  The more money to pay down the debt the less interest.  Getting asshats who aren't paying taxes is away of getting that money to help pay down that debt.  It IS, by law, money that should be payed.  Not paying it = asshat cheating the system.  And thus costing money.  Funny how many conservatives are quick to want to crack down on welfare fraud, and not on tax fraud.

So we either live in a country of laws or we don't.  Keener I didn't realize you were such an advocate for free hand-outs.  Allowing people to cheat on their taxes is a free handout.

Whatever.  You're right.  I'm wrong.  Can we never talk about it again?  Awesome.  Thanks.

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2017 at 11:52 AM, K92 said:

Again, quite a reach.

There are a lot of people able, but refusing, to work that are counting on that money. Of course the welfare checks went. Certain politicians have to appease their voting base. 

Saying what you are saying about the military and CIA, etc how do you know this? 

Is is there some news outlet that has planned ops listed that were canceled over cost?

7 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

There are a lot of people able, but refusing, to work that are counting on that money. Of course the welfare checks went. Certain politicians have to appease their voting base. 

Saying what you are saying about the military and CIA, etc how do you know this? 

Is is there some news outlet that has planned ops listed that were canceled over cost?

I can't discuss this any more because it kills more brain cells than drugs.

Just thinking a little about this on a plane flight home Friday...don’t know if it has been mentioned before and if so, sorry.  Should we believe Addidas was the only company doing this?  Nike, UnderArmour clean hands?  Could one of the competitors be the original tipster on this scandal, with tons to gain from Addidas’ plight?  

20 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Just thinking a little about this on a plane flight home Friday...don’t know if it has been mentioned before and if so, sorry.  Should we believe Addidas was the only company doing this?  Nike, UnderArmour clean hands?  Could one of the competitors be the original tipster on this scandal, with tons to gain from Addidas’ plight?  

Perhaps we will find out soon

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...