Michigan State

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

As many of you know, I don't follow soccer much, and only mildly followed the beginning of this season.  And I really only knew that we dropped a few games already and fell way back in the polls. 

But my gosh, I went to these last 2 home games and we looked DOMINANT....against 2 really good opponents.  What's happened?  Is this a case where they just needed a little more work together to gel ?    I also saw pure hustle in these 2 games.  Pressuring the ball all time.  Numerous steals.  Was that lacking in the earlier games?

Another Observation:

Was it just me?  Or, did those officials call about 10 fouls on Akron before they called their first foul on a MSU player?  It was pretty bad.  

The 2 losses we also dominated the games but just couldn't find the back of the net and mistakes led to one goal for the opposing team both times.  One was a quick short pass from one of the CB's to Ben who didn't have enough time to get a good leg on it and the ball went out for a corner which the team then scored on and I don't recall how the other goal happened but it was a mistake on our part.  I am excited for the rest of the year.

Anybody have an update on Sam?  Looked like a hammy or groin and I hope that doesn't linger the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

As many of you know, I don't follow soccer much, and only mildly followed the beginning of this season.  And I really only knew that we dropped a few games already and fell way back in the polls. 

But my gosh, I went to these last 2 home games and we looked DOMINANT....against 2 really good opponents.  What's happened?  Is this a case where they just needed a little more work together to gel ?    I also saw pure hustle in these 2 games.  Pressuring the ball all time.  Numerous steals.  Was that lacking in the earlier games?

Another Observation:

Was it just me?  Or, did those officials call about 10 fouls on Akron before they called their first foul on a MSU player?  It was pretty bad.  

As Nate said in his post-game interview last night, they had some hard practices after the St Louis game. At UVU, Denver, and St Louis, they looked to just be going through the motions. They had their opportunities at UVU and Denver but didn't put it together to capitalize. Mistakes hurt in both those matches. At St. Louis, the Zips didn't look sharp at all; looked like they were just there and doing enough to get out of there with a tie.

These last 2, they look to be playing Zips' soccer...dominant, attentive, pressing, finishing. Being at home, I'm certain is a help as is the additional time working together. Now, they need to put this one behind them and focus on the next one. That was fun and a great win, but there's much more work to be done.

I agree...the calls seemed quite one-sided for awhile. In the end, there were at least 2 egregious MSU fouls that should have resulted in yellow cards, but none were given to MSU...only the Zips picked up cards. The lack of consistency in refereeing continues.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

The 2 losses we also dominated the games but just couldn't find the back of the net and mistakes led to one goal for the opposing team both times.  One was a quick short pass from one of the CB's to Ben who didn't have enough time to get a good leg on it and the ball went out for a corner which the team then scored on and I don't recall how the other goal happened but it was a mistake on our part.  I am excited for the rest of the year.

The other was a pk following a take down by Ben in the penalty area when Ben couldn't get the ball and raised his leg tripping the Denver attacker in the box.

Edited by Zip_ME87