Game 6—Ball State

ZippyRulz

12 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Game 6 - Ball State 10/7 3:30 ESPN3

Wow-wee, 9-point home favorites !

I'll take it, 3-3 probably lose 2 in a row & be 3-5 but I like our chances having 3 out of the final 4 games at home

A lot of doom & gloom on here but we can play with everyone in the east

Go Zips

• Like 3

Another huge, watershed game.

This is a very winnable game.  For us, I consider any winnable game a must-win.

Ball State is 2-3

L (21-24) -vs- Illinois

W (51-31) -vs- UAB

W (28-13) -vs- Tennessee Tech

L (21-33) -vs- Western Kentucky

L (3-55) -vs- Western Michigan

As 94zipgrad pointed out, a W this week would move us to 3-3 w/ 2 almost-certain losses looming (WMU & Toledo).  That would leave us at 3-5, needing to win 3 of our last 4 games heading down the home stretch of the MAC East schedule.  

Lose this week and we'd have to sweep the MAC East to go bowling.

Edited by Blue & Gold

WatchESPN link here

MAC Weekly Media Teleconference Audio (Bowden)

• Tommy is coming along as he gets the rust off. His timing is coming back.

• We are still trying to get the ball in the best receivers hands, and figuring out who they are.

• Feel bad for Warren, but we have veteran backs to fill in. They are not as powerful as Warren, but are more shifty.

• We need to do better against the run this week.

• We need to be more explosive, and put more points on the board.

• Coach called out DE Anthony Winbush as being a player they need to be concerned with. He should be up against Trevor Brown most of the day. 

• Like 3

On 10/1/2017 at 9:23 PM, Blue & Gold said:

L (3-55) -vs- Western Michigan

I hope this one is the best indicator of what to expect from Ball State.  

If having 2 crappy teams on our schedule to start conference play was our way of building some momentum, I'm glad it went down that way.  

This weekend the alumni band is playing, I look forward to seeing everyone in Lot 9 before the game. 

I could easily see a scenario where the Zips beat everyone they play in the MAC East and still manage not to win the division.  Has that ever happened before to another MAC team?

Tailgating plug:

If there is one game to come and tailgate it would be this one.  The Phi Psi alumni puts on a party that is 100% legit.  JZ84 is a brother and he can vouch.  I am not a brother, but these fine people have befriended me and treat me like family.

They will have a large carport tent (or two) set up and will have a large guest list with a lot of pulled pork and music.  It is really a fun weekend to be around their party.

For those of you who do not park in lot 9, all you have to do is come around and introduce yourself as a ZN.o poster and someone will point you in the right direction to our little clan.  We have extra grill space and room in the cooler if you need it.

Come by and see that K92 and ZG01 are nice guys with a warm and gentle sense of humor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Anyone else find it funny that George corrected himself - Kwad Smith was a Junior and not a freshman. But in the column above it he mistakenly lists sophomore Deltron Sands as a freshman?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

George did point out the significantly less flags the Zips drew last week.  HUGE step in the right direction...

The Zips had their least penalized game of the season by a significant margin against the Falcons, being flagged just once for five yards.

“We need to correct the penalties, because we’re in a lot of tight ballgames,” Bowden said. “We’re trying to get better. We’re trying to win close ballgames.”

In their previous four games, UA was flagged 39 times for 393 yards.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:06 PM, 94zipgrad said:

I'll take it, 3-3 probably lose 2 in a row & be 3-5 but I like our chances having 3 out of the final 4 games at home

A lot of doom & gloom on here but we can play with everyone in the east

Go Zips

Ya,its time for a Bowden coached team to show that it can at least be competitive in the East. Have they had 5 wins in the MAC since he has been here? That would be a big step forward. Beating OU AND Miami would be a tall order this season. But at some point they have to get by OU to be legit.

We will get a better idea this week about how much actual progress Woodson has made. The run defense still scares me.  

43 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Ya,its time for a Bowden coached team to show that it can at least be competitive in the East. Have they had 5 wins in the MAC since he has been here? That would be a big step forward. Beating OU AND Miami would be a tall order this season. But at some point they have to get by OU to be legit.

We will get a better idea this week about how much actual progress Woodson has made. The run defense still scares me.  

I believe Akron was 5-3 in the MAC in 2015. This Ball State game should be very close and a great game to watch. I think they landed 5 players on the preseason All MAC team (Gilbert RB - 1st; Palazeti OL - 3rd; Winbush DL - 1st; Walton DB - 4th; Hagee K - 4th).    

Edited by UA1987

I only watched the first quarter of the BSU/WMU game. In one set of downs they went 10 personnel (first down), 02 personnel (second down), and 11 personnel (third down). Defensive communication and substitutions will come into play for the Zips defensive unit. 

Press Conference Notes:

• Kato gives you a wildcat look. 

• Come out of BG healthy other than WB. 

• Tommy made his own read on the TD run. 

• Called our offense blue collar. Need more big plays. Challenged the offensive players to come up with explosive plays.

• 12 personnel will continue to be part of the offense. Our TEs look like RBs, not prototypical. We need them to catch more.

• Brian Reinke had 7 pressures on the QB last week. We are getting close. 

• Deon'Tae Moore nursing an injury, and getting better. 

• Anthony Winbush leads the nation in sacks (7.5) and reminds coach of Dwight Freeney. 

• Justin Hall top freshman WR in nation. 

• We think we are getting better at running the ball. We were successful running the ball when BG knew we were going to run. 

• We worked hard on not holding. We had five holding calls against Troy. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 12:20 PM, UA1987 said:

I believe Akron was 5-3 in the MAC in 2015. This Ball State game should be very close and a great game to watch. I think they landed 5 players on the preseason All MAC team (Gilbert RB - 1st; Palazeti OL - 3rd; Winbush DL - 1st; Walton DB - 4th; Hagee K - 4th).    

5-3 in 2015. You are absolutely correct.