Game 6—Ball State

ZippyRulz

22 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I really like the new "tradition" of wearing a throwback helmet for Homecoming. Wish they had full throwback uniforms, but I know money would be an issue there. Would be interesting to see a bright yellow - navy throwback someday. (just obviously not against kent)

Bright yellow? I'll pass, I think the blue and gold look great.

Hustlebelt story on flying =A

Flying A helmet will be worn for the first time since 1994.

• Like 1

Quickie interview with Ball State’s OL Vinnie Palazeti at the July MAC Media Day

Question: "You were 4-8 last season. How is Ball State a  better team this year?"

“We're bringing back 5 offensive linemen with game experience. We’re returning guys like this (points across the table to RB James Gilbert) – 1st team All-MAC. Our quarterback is now a true junior. We’ve got a lot of really good prospects coming in from the south at wide receiver, so offensively we’re gonna be really good.”

“Last season we had a sophomore quarterback and sophomore running back…we had a young backfield, and older guys at wide out. We had a bit of an inexperienced offensive line last year, but we were still third in the conference in rushing. Bringing back those younger guys from last year, now with game experience, is going to be a big positive for us this season.”

I realize no Pulitzers will be handed out for that one, but I thought it was interesting to hear the opinion of one of their better players. 

I think Gilbert got hurt in the Tennessee Tech game, he didn't play against WKU or WMU. Not sure of the accuracy, but he is listed as "downgraded and expected to miss Saturday" here.

Vinnie was correct about the wide receiver prospects, coach Bowden mentioned a true freshman leading all freshman in the nation in his presser. 

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

I really like the new "tradition" of wearing a throwback helmet for Homecoming. Wish they had full throwback uniforms, but I know money would be an issue there. 

Would be interesting to see a bright yellow - navy throwback someday. (just obviously not against kent)

Just an FYI.   The Navy and Gold colors were the original uniform colors that went with the "Moving A" helmet.  Then, that design transferred over to the Blue and Yellow uniform change.  

Besides the fact that I never personally liked the Blue and Yellow, I never thought it fit with the old 80's logo.  We should have made a complete change from head to toe that fit the new look.  For instance, this would have probably looked great on that un-intimidating yellow color.  

zip.gif

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Just an FYI.   The Navy and Gold colors were the original uniform colors that went with the "Moving A" helmet.  Then, that design transferred over to the Blue and Yellow uniform change.  

Besides the fact that I never personally liked the Blue and Yellow, I never thought it fit with the old 80's logo.  We should have made a complete change from head to toe that fit the new look.  For instance, this would have probably looked great on that un-intimidating yellow color.  

zip.gif

I was thinking something like this would have worked well for this year:

7b943cfc814f4a8353e5e648db4ea18c--akron-

Then something like this for next season:

1.756508.jpg

I know it was a short lived color scheme in UA's history, but I like it for a one game special uniform.

Yes akzipper, those were the two looks.   I guess I could handle the yellow for one game.  Maybe.  B)

It's actually always nostalgic to see Jason in his earlier Akron years, when he was playing linebacker and was still skinny.  Just another reminder of how much he developed to get where he is today.    

11 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I know it was a short lived color scheme in UA's history, but I like it for a one game special uniform.

Now you're into something I can't definitively answer.  But, I think we used that yellow and blue all the way up until JD came here in like 2004?  Someone might know better than me.  But, I think it might have been close to 10 years.  

39 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Now you're into something I can't definitively answer.  But, I think we used that yellow and blue all the way up until JD came here in like 2004?  Someone might know better than me.  But, I think it might have been close to 10 years.  

Here's a site that I use to look up stuff like that:

The Helmet Project

It's gives a pretty accurate history of every helmet worn by every football team ever. Looks like the yellow/blue color scheme was used from 1995-2001.

Edited by akzipper

41 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Here's a site that I use to look up stuff like that:

The Helmet Project

It's gives a pretty accurate history of every helmet worn by every football team ever. Looks like the yellow/blue color scheme was used from 1995-2001.

Isn't it amazing that someone compiles that information?

I guess it was pretty "short lived".  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Isn't it amazing that someone compiles that information?

I guess it was pretty "short lived".  

Seemed A LOT longer than that. I HATED the yellow scheme.  I remember watching a Zips TV show with Joe Dunn when Lee Owens unveiled the new yellow helmets. I about choked on my food & threw something at the TV.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Per former Zips Marketing Director Mike Waddell the change from "pee yellow" (Mike's words) :D to the existing blue and gold was made:

1.) Because Akron is supposed to be - "Blue and Gold"

2,) The pee yellow and navy colors were the same as Kent State. And you don't want the same colors as Kent State.

lee-owensjpg-f37dd5a5a1f84552.jpg

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Per former Zips Marketing Director Mike Waddell the change from "pee yellow" (Mike's words) :D to the existing blue and gold was made:

1.) Because Akron is supposed to be - "Blue and Gold"

2,) The pee yellow and navy colors were the same as Kent State. And you don't want the same colors as Kent State.

lee-owensjpg-f37dd5a5a1f84552.jpg

They changed the Action A to the Shadow A as well.  Bad move.

Interesting thing is that it seems like gold is just a fad for some teams and they've all gone back to their yellow variant, at least part time. See UCLA, Pitt football, Penguins, I think Oregon has gone back to more yellow as opposed to the gray and highlighter yellow.. It seems like the gold was more of a modern thing and didn't quite stay in style, while we kind of did things differently, going gold, yellow, and back to gold. I'm a bit of a uniform nerd and I read a lot of Uni Watch and Paul Lukas's stuff so I find it interesting

On the tv show I referenced above I think I remember Lee Owens saying something along the lines of they wanted to "brighten the uniform up," and they went for a more "Green Bay Packers look."  :puke:

So unspeakably glad we got away from that.  

I now think we literally have the nicest uniforms in all of football; love the various color combos Akron Zips Equipment puts together.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

On the tv show I referenced above I think I remember Lee Owens saying something along the lines of they wanted to "brighten the uniform up," and they went for a more "Green Bay Packers look."  :puke:

So unspeakably glad we got away from that.  

I now think we literally have the nicest uniforms in all of football; love the various color combos Akron Zips Equipment puts together.

When we got the new unis a couple of years ago, I heard ESPN's Trevor Matich comment that they were the best in the country in his opinion.  I thought that was pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 7:06 PM, 94zipgrad said:

I'll take it, 3-3 probably lose 2 in a row & be 3-5 but I like our chances having 3 out of the final 4 games at home

A lot of doom & gloom on here but we can play with everyone in the east

Go Zips

Seems like you have a better chance of a bowl than Iowa State right now.  

On 10/3/2017 at 3:41 PM, K92 said:

Tailgating plug:

If there is one game to come and tailgate it would be this one.  The Phi Psi alumni puts on a party that is 100% legit.  JZ84 is a brother and he can vouch.  I am not a brother, but these fine people have befriended me and treat me like family.

They will have a large carport tent (or two) set up and will have a large guest list with a lot of pulled pork and music.  It is really a fun weekend to be around their party.

For those of you who do not park in lot 9, all you have to do is come around and introduce yourself as a ZN.o poster and someone will point you in the right direction to our little clan.  We have extra grill space and room in the cooler if you need it.

Come by and see that K92 and ZG01 are nice guys with a warm and gentle sense of humor.

Incorrect.  This week is second best.  The one game to come and tailgate would have been Sept 16th in Lot 4!  :thumb:

Edited by Cykron

10 hours ago, Cykron said:

Who are these guys?  ;)

Jim Tressel on the left. Coach at Youngstown State at the time. Jerry Faust on the right. Coach at Akron at the time. Game at the Rubber Bowl in the early 1990's if I am not mistaken.

Y.town was D-1AA. Akron full D-1. Somebody help me with this. Was this the game where Y.town beat Akron on a freezing cold afternoon?