Zach Guiser Hangs Up the Cleats

Blue & Gold

• 5 months later...

Former University of Akron football player Zach Guiser (Fayette City, Pa.) has earned an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship, the NCAA announced.

Each of the 30 Division I fall sports recipients will receive a $7,500 scholarship to be applied toward the graduate degree program of his choice.

A semifinalist for the 2017 William V. Campbell Trophy, Guiser was a team captain last fall. A preseason All-MAC selection by Athlon Sports and College Sports Madness, he was named to the Wuerffel Trophy Watch List.  Just the second first-team Academic All-American in school history, Guiser suffered a season-ending injury against Iowa State. He finished this fall with 16 tackles, an interception, and a break-up. 

The Academic All-American was also a three-time MAC Distinguished Scholar-Athlete and three-time Academic All-MAC selection.  Named to the President’s List (8 semesters) for a perfect 4.0 grade-point average (GPA), Guiser earned a bachelor’s degree in December 2017 in pre-physical therapy/sport science.  A member of the University’s Honors College, Guiser is pursuing a doctorate in physical therapy from Walsh University.

Additionally, Guiser will be honored on Tuesday, March 6, by the Northeast Ohio National Football Foundation with a $2,000 scholarship.

The NCAA awards Postgraduate Scholarships to student-athletes who are in their final year of college athletics eligibility. Up to 175 scholarships are awarded each year for use toward an accredited graduate program. Awardees are evaluated on their academic and athletic achievement, campus involvement, community service, volunteer activities and demonstrated leadership. The program rewards college athletes whose dedication and effort reflect the characteristics needed to succeed in graduate study. 

Awardees are chosen by the NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Committee, which includes faculty athletics representatives, athletics administrators, and a conference commissioner.

“These scholarships are one of the ways the NCAA provides a pathway to opportunity for student-athletes,” said Mattie White, chair of the NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Committee and senior associate athletics director at Indiana. “These scholarships are reserved for student-athletes with distinguished college careers highlighted by outstanding achievements in academics, athletics, community service and leadership. These experiences prepare them for success in graduate study and life.”

Source: GoZips.com

• Like 4

• Dr Z changed the title to Zach Guiser Hangs Up the Cleats
  • 10 months later...

Through a Players' Eyes  by Zach Guiser

Click above link for full article...."During my senior year, I had to end my playing career only three games into the season. For the remainder of the season, I would walk out on the field in my jersey for the coin toss, then throw on a headset in the booth or on the sidelines and act as an extra coach. It was during this time period that I realized how much perspective matters. I discovered how seeing things as an active member on the field is entirely different from the view you get as an engaged viewer on the outside. From the sidelines, you cannot fully grasp the physical, mental, and emotional toll that the game/practice takes on the players. The most alarming fact was how quickly I forgot what it felt like. In only a few short weeks, I had almost completely lost the ability to empathize with what my teammates were going through."

• Thanks 1