Game 7—@Western Michigan

zipsoutsider

4 hours ago, Ham said:

I think the biggest blunder was throwing clear across the field on 3rd & 2 in 2 down territory.  Even if we run twice and fail, there would have been 90 seconds less on the clock.

you are right. This isn't rocket science, just poor play calling.

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

I told you in an earlier post, you may have missed it.  AJ Milwee is the Offensive Coordinator for the Zips.

He was brought in as a QB coach when Bowden was first hired 6 seasons ago, and was upgraded to Offensive Coordinator in year 2.  The offense ran a lot faster/up-tempo when Bowden was HC/OC in his first season, or it at least appeared too.  But that was also a 1-11 team so who knows.  Needless to say a lot of people don't like him.

I'm of the opinion he's here as long as Bowden is, and I've always felt like Bowden is grooming him to be the replacement when Bowden decides to retire.

tombstone.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dr Z said:

What gives you that indication?

He's one of Bowden's farmer players at East-Jesus Alabama (yes I know that's not the name...), Bowden liked him enough to bring him to Akron.  Like him enough to give him the reigns of the offense.  And has stuck with him despite there being problems of offense to us the outsiders.  It just feels like to me he's going above and beyond for Milwee.  Nepotism is huge in sports...this is why a lot of guys have jobs in the NFL who aren't that good, and continue to get jobs...

I mean, IDK why everyone has had such a negative view of that comment.  It was just a feeling...everyone relax.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

Akron Zips are different team in conference play: MAC Football 2017

No. 1 in pass defense efficiency

No. 1 in interceptions (6)

No. 1 in fewest penalties (12 in three games)

No. 1 in red zone offense (5-of-5, 5 TD)

No. 1 in red zone defense (5-of-10, 2 TD, 3 FG)

No. 2 in sacks (9)

No. 2 in turnover margin (plus 4)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Balsy said:

He's one of Bowden's farmer players at East-Jesus Alabama (yes I know that's not the name...), Bowden liked him enough to bring him to Akron.  Like him enough to give him the reigns of the offense.  And has stuck with him despite there being problems of offense to us the outsiders.  It just feels like to me he's going above and beyond for Milwee.  Nepotism is huge in sports...this is why a lot of guys have jobs in the NFL who aren't that good, and continue to get jobs...

I mean, IDK why everyone has had such a negative view of that comment.  It was just a feeling...everyone relax.

Was he a receiver? Bet he made some catches look like a can of corn. Harvested the most out of his abilities.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Akron Zips are different team in conference play: MAC Football 2017

No. 1 in fewest penalties (12 in three games)

And 10 were in this last game....!  We’re #1 despite a 10 spot against WMU....

Edited by ZipsVoice
Added thought
  • Like 1

WMU head coach did the Zips a huge favor by not locking down his team on Saturday night. Due it being homecoming weekend the players were free to do as they pleased on Saturday night. I would imagine quite a few might not have passed a breathalyzer in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Edited by Hilltopper

20 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

WMU head coach did the Zips a huge favor by not locking down his team on Saturday night. Due it being homecoming weekend the players were free to do as they pleased on Saturday night. I would imagine quite a few might not have passed a breathalyzer in the early hours of Sunday morning.

If this is true, he is a bigger fool than I thought he was.

30 minutes ago, Ham said:

unless they got stupid drunk, I don't think that was a factor.

The Zips staying an hour and half away, and having to drive back and forth was probably a bigger factor. Just working out all the logistics of an extended night would have been an easy excuse for lackadaisical play. Good for them for overcoming. I thought it was a funny comment that coach Bowden made in his show, "just getting chicken for 100 guys was hard enough." 

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm watching the WMU replay & am noticing Brian Bell really turning into a stud.

11 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

He has shown some serious improvement over the last 2 games.

Must be that scout team offense really getting this defense ready to roll for gameday. They (the defense) have gotten better individually and collectively as the season has gone on. :D