2017 Race To Detroit

Balsy

Since the OOC slate is over for now.  It's time for another "Race To Detroit" thread, because the Akron Zips are currently the front runners in the race for the MAC East.  Below I will list the current standings and update week-to-week. Feel free to use this thread for MAC Championship discussions. (Mac Record, SCHOOL, Overall Record; games left)

East Division

2-0 Akron (3-3); WMU, Toledo, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio, Kent

1-1 Ohio (4-2); BGSU, Kent, Miami, Toledo, Akron, Buffalo

1-1 Buffalo (3-3); NIU, Miami, Akron, BGSU, Ball St, Ohio

1-1 Miami (2-4); Kent, Buffalo, Ohio, Akron, EMU, Ball St.

1-1 BGSU (1-5); Ohio, NIU, Kent, Buffalo, Toledo, EMU

0-2 Kent (1-5); Miami, Ohio, BGSU, WMU, CMU, Akron

West Division

2-0 W. Michigan (4-2); Akron, EMU, CMU, Kent, NIU, Toledo

1-0 Toeldo (4-1); CMU, Akron, Ball St, NIU, Ohio, BGSU, WMU

1-0 N. Illinois (3-2); Buffalo, BGSU, EMU, Toledo, Ball St, WMU, CMU

1-1 C. Michigan (3-3); Toledo, Ball St, WMU, EMU, Kent, NIU

0-2 E. Michigan (2-3); Army, WMU, NIU, Ball St, CMU, Miami, BGSU

0-2 Ball State (2-4); CMU, Toledo, EMU, NIU, Buffalo, Miami

26 minutes ago, K92 said:

Also, I haven't paid that much attention. . . Is CMU pretty good or just mediocre this year?

I don't think I've watched them yet, but I would lean towards mediocre. It's hard to get a good read on them based on results. Wins vs Rhode Island, Kansas, and now Ohio. 3 score + losses to Boston College, Syracuse, and Miami (OH).

3 hours ago, mivid12 said:

2-0 Akron (3-3); WMU, Toledo, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio, Kent

sadly i see 5-7...be nice to go at least go 2-2 vs wmu, buf, tol & ou & get to 7-5

If Akron had an offensive coordinator and head coach that could muster a clue between them, the Zips could win out.  Running the offense the way we do will get you wins versus the dregs of the conference, but if you want to beat good teams, you can't let the defense get set and basically say to them "You guys ready?  Got your breath?  Ok, we're gonna snap the ball if you're ready.  Ok.  Ready, set, go!"

Milwee's situational play calling blows anyway, so just script the entire game.  Snap the ball as fast as you can, while the other team's fat ass linemen have their hands on their hips sucking wind.  That's a sure way to slow down the pass rush and make our offensive line's run blocking job a lot easier.  Keep pulling Ritz and I guarantee the tired, wind sucking ugly dudes down the line from him are gonna get real sick of getting ear holed.

Tempo could solve so many issues.  It's not hard to figure out.  And when trying to recruit offensive talent, do you think talented high schoolers want to come to a program that plays balls out or one that plays the "check with me" game and then has to burn timeouts because we are befuddled?

I think I know the answer to that question!

I know, we want to be known for defense.  Well, wish in one hand!  You are going to be able to get the best defensive players you can get independent of the offense you run.

People watch football for offense!  If this wasn't true, rule changes wouldn't favor the offense!  Football fans like to watch scoring, if they didn't they'd be over at Cub Cadet!

Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong, eat crow and apologize for my comments.

Go Zips!  Beat Western!

Edited by K92
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Well we do currently have a RB committed with offers from Akron, Army, BG, Buffalo, FAU, Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, USF, Syracuse, UAB and a WR committed with offers from Akron, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kent State, Miami, Toledo :)

Which is fantastic!  I am ecstatic about it!  But you know what I am saying and it’s also interesting to note that the other offers didn’t matter to the conventional wisdom on this board when they weren’t there!

I am going to use exclamation points a lot more from now on!  I like them!  Who knew?

• Thanks 1

In Other MAC News...

Looks like we've got a matchup of two MAC Heavyweights Kent and Miami...currently Miami up 7-3.  I may watch this for a bit just to see what we have coming up later.

NIU beating Buffalo 14-10 (not much of a surprise).  Ohio losing to BGSU 7-14.  Perhaps Ohio is winnable this year.  Toledo up 10-0 on CMU.  EMU basically lost on the last play of the game against Army.  Shucks.  And that Wraps up the MAC Slate.

Go BGSU, Go Miami, and Go Buffalo.  And Ohio Loss and a Buffalo loss helps our case.  A miami win not so much, but I will always cheer whatever team is playing Kent State.

It's 4:40...

32 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

KSUcks beating Miami by 3 in the 4th.

Buffalo hanging right with NIU; only trailing 13-14 late in the 3rd. 

Ohio looking no better than us,  presently up on BGSU 21-16 in the 3rd.

Is the Ohio game a final yet?