2017 Race To Detroit

Balsy

8 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I'm talking about the OU game

Got ya. Disregard my comments then. I'll evaluate the OU game in a month, that one is a long ways away. Too much can happen between now and then. Hopefully the Zips have seven wins, and that game won't be a "have to win" game. 

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

What gives me hope concerning Bowden are last year's and this year's recruiting classes.

I can't figure out what the staff was/wasn't doing those first FOUR years.  But it seems like they've finally got their recruiting mojo flowing.  

Agreed. Part of what makes me hope Bowden finishes this year strong  is that we seemingly have our best recruiting class to date and I don't want that to fall apart. Plenty of true fresh are playing and playing well this year with what they've been asked to do. I think we are starting to see some actual depth being established. I've done a lot of thinking about next year for whatever reason, and I don't really have any concerns. The Zips should be MAC East favorites imo. We return a lot/have guys with good potential. The one question mark will be QB, but I feel good about one of Kato or Ramart being able to get the job done.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I don't think 1 year extension or play the contract out are really options. At least they shouldn't be. To me it's simple - bowl game, multiyear extension, no bowl game, gone. 2 bowl games in 3 years would be the best stretch our progrum has had.

And we really should have been bowling last season as well.  Our lack of QB depth last season was inexcusable.

47 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I don't think 1 year extension or play the contract out are really options. At least they shouldn't be. To me it's simple - bowl game, multiyear extension, no bowl game, gone. 2 bowl games in 3 years would be the best stretch our progrum has had.

What if there are more than 80 bowl eligible teams nationwide and the Zips are eligible but not selected? Just wanted to throw that out there.

I know I am in the minority here and I know I will get ridiculed for this statement but. . .

I want to see Bowden win enough games to retain his job, but if he insists on retaining Milwee, he should be fired.  Milwee has to go or I am going to be a very unhappy camper.  He has had 4 1/2 years to prove his incompetence. My number one problem with Bowden is Milwee.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, K92 said:

I know I am in the minority here and I know I will get ridiculed for this statement but. . .

I want to see Bowden win enough games to retain his job, but if he insists on retaining Milwee, he should be fired.  Milwee has to go or I am going to be a very unhappy camper.  He has had 4 1/2 years to prove his incompetence. My number one problem with Bowden is Milwee.

When Bowden got here in 2012 the offense was really clicking. It just seemed like once the defense came around - even a little - we would be winning games 40-35. 

What the heck's happened since then? Was Dalton Williams simply that good??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottditzen said:

When Bowden got here in 2012 the offense was really clicking. It just seemed like once the defense came around - even a little - we would be winning games 40-35. 

What the heck's happened since then? Was Dalton Williams simply that good??

Exactly what I've been wondering for 4 years. 

6 hours ago, K92 said:

I agree. There is a ceiling on how far we can go with Milwee. If TB wants him as his QB coach that is fine with me, but Milwee is not capable of being the OC we need. I would love to see Terry go back to calling the plays.

• Like 1

Just seems like we've always gotta complain about something. The first time i've heard the Mileee grumblings like this all year, and it comes after one of the best program wins in his tenure. I don't think he's perfect. I've tried telling everyone he called plays that first year everyone loves to talk about. I know first hand from a former GA and have provided articles with Bowden stating as such.

Anywho, like I said he definitely isn't perfect. I don't agree with throwing it on 3rd and 2. I don't like that we didn't score a single point in the 2nd half, but it was enough to win the game.

Lets take a look back at last year's OOC. We averaged 40 points a game with a healthy QB1 and Ball for 1.5 of those games. This includes a FCS team, Wisconsin, a 10 win/Sunbelt champ App State team, and setting the single game scoring record at Marshall, a record that I believe still stands, even with a Heisma winner-led Louisville going there the very next week.

He doesn't seem to do too bad with some actual talent to work with right? Everyone can admit we lack playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. QB1 play has never been a real issue, which is his duty. What do they say...jimmies and joes are more important than Xs and Os. Looking back at the bowl season. The defense obviously carried us. Our best playmakers were Hundley, a converted LB playing WR for the first time and???

Frankly the only time he has stuck out to me this year was the 3rd down call and the 2nd half vs WMU, but like I said, it was enough to win the game.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, K92 said:

This is where I stand as well. 

53 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Just seems like we've always gotta complain about something. The first time i've heard the Mileee grumblings like this all year, and it comes after one of the best program wins in his tenure. I don't think he's perfect. I've tried telling everyone he called plays that first year everyone loves to talk about. I know first hand from a former GA and have provided articles with Bowden stating as such.

Anywho, like I said he definitely isn't perfect. I don't agree with throwing it on 3rd and 2. I don't like that we didn't score a single point in the 2nd half, but it was enough to win the game.

Lets take a look back at last year's OOC. We averaged 40 points a game with a healthy QB1 and Ball for 1.5 of those games. This includes a FCS team, Wisconsin, a 10 win/Sunbelt champ App State team, and setting the single game scoring record at Marshall, a record that I believe still stands, even with a Heisma winner-led Louisville going there the very next week.

He doesn't seem to do too bad with some actual talent to work with right? Everyone can admit we lack playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. QB1 play has never been a real issue, which is his duty. What do they say...jimmies and joes are more important than Xs and Os. Looking back at the bowl season. The defense obviously carried us. Our best playmakers were Hundley, a converted LB playing WR for the first time and???

Frankly the only time he has stuck out to me this year was the 3rd down call and the 2nd half vs WMU, but like I said, it was enough to win the game.

You raise several valid points. At the end of the day, the goal is winning and if I were a coach, I would hate to work somewhere I did not get to choose my staff.

I actually have had issues with other plays but calling a pass on 3rd and 2 is not a problem for me, offenses do it all of the time and it does keep the defense on its toes.

Edited by zipsoutsider

18 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I'm talking about the OU game, per the blueandgold quote. I will predict we will beat OU and TB will get extended. If we lose to them, we probably will not have won jack. You can't be owned by a rival indefinitely, ask John Cooper.

Thanks for clarifying your post.  Understood.

59 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

You raise several valid points. At the end of the day, the goal is winning and if I were a coach, I would hate to work somewhere I did not get to choose my staff.

I actually have had issues with other plays but calling a pass on 3rd and 2 is not a problem for me, offenses do it all of the time and it does keep the defense on its toes.

Time and field position made that call REALLY stupid.  One of Milkweeds biggest problem is failure to keep drives going.  Homeruns are fun, but 1st downs win ball games!  I'm really happy with the win at WM, but we escaped with the win.  We could have sealed the deal with one second half score.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

The complaining about Milwee has been pretty consistent from the get-go.  If you are saying that the philosophy change on offense is not due to Milwee, the blame goes right back 100% to Bowden then.  Watching the Zips on offense is just absolutely painful at times.  If you like and enjoy what you see when the Zips have the ball, God bless you.  Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent Folks.  I don't like it.  It is not entertaining.  At all.

If we had 2012 offense or even something in the same area code, we would be sitting at 5-2 right now with some blowout wins vs. inferior competition and quite possibly looked somewhat competitive in the games we lost to PSU and ISU.  Excitement and confidence would be high.  If people are happy with where we are, great.  I can only speak for myself, but when I am paying my hard-earned money for Akron Football entertainment, I want to see some #MACtion.  The only calling card this conference ever had was balls-out offense.  14-13 games don't move the needle for me.  I am very happy we won but if there is no entertainment value, I will save my money and read the box score in the newspaper.  I know.  I'm weird, but that's how I feel.

When I think about where we are and where we could be, I get very disgusted.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Time and field position made that call REALLY stupid.  One of Milkweeds biggest problem is failure to keep drives going.  Homeruns are fun, but 1st downs win ball games!  I'm really happy with the win at WM, but we escaped with the win.  We could have sealed the deal with one second half score.

10 minutes were left on the clock. Not really a stupid call.

Edited by zipsoutsider

6 hours ago, K92 said:

The complaining about Milwee has been pretty consistent from the get-go.  If you are saying that the philosophy change on offense is not due to Milwee, the blame goes right back 100% to Bowden then.  Watching the Zips on offense is just absolutely painful at times.  If you like and enjoy what you see when the Zips have the ball, God bless you.  Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent Folks.  I don't like it.  It is not entertaining.  At all.

If we had 2012 offense or even something in the same area code, we would be sitting at 5-2 right now with some blowout wins vs. inferior competition and quite possibly looked somewhat competitive in the games we lost to PSU and ISU.  Excitement and confidence would be high.  If people are happy with where we are, great.  I can only speak for myself, but when I am paying my hard-earned money for Akron Football entertainment, I want to see some #MACtion.  The only calling card this conference ever had was balls-out offense.  14-13 games don't move the needle for me.  I am very happy we won but if there is no entertainment value, I will save my money and read the box score in the newspaper.  I know.  I'm weird, but that's how I feel.

When I think about where we are and where we could be, I get very disgusted.

So your main complaint is that you don't find it fun to watch? I was hoping for a better breakdown, Keener. Did you miss the part of my post where I stated what the offense did during the 2016 OOC when we had an actual solid MAC QB throwing to solid MAC WRs? Would you prefer the Zips of now or the Zips of 2012? I enjoy watching a winning program.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1