vs Cleveland State

Game almost complete at same time as USA is laying their egg vs T&T.  Zips up 2-0  with a couple minutes to play.  Goals for Skye Harter, first minute and Mouafo.  Game has now gone final.   Only question is why is Tor Saunders in the net for us?  Played 90, apparently.

7 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Game almost complete at same time as USA is laying their egg vs T&T.  Zips up 2-0  with a couple minutes to play.  Goals for Skye Harter, first minute and Mouafo.  Game has now gone final.   Only question is why is Tor Saunders in the net for us?  Played 90, apparently.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/university-of-akron/mens-soccerakron-2-cleveland-state-0-skye-harter-barth-luther-mouafo-score-goals-to-propel-zips-past-vikings

Red-shirt freshman Tor Saunders made his Zips debut at goalkeeper and posted a shutout with two saves.

“He made a big save [of a Pio shot] right after we scored [the first goal],” Embick said. “He has been playing well in training and we thought it was a great game to see what he could do. We will see. I think we have two very good goalkeepers [in Saunders and junior Ben Lundt]. It is always nice to get them both involved, and if one is lacking confidence we can go with the other.”

With last night's win, the zips moved up from #25 to #21 in the RPI

3 upcoming opponents...had wins last night

SIU-E had a monster 2-0 win over Butler (Butler was #13 in RPI before last night)....hopefully, the Indians are playing in game 1 of the ALCS on Friday night...but the Zips need a huge crowd Friday night...against an SIU-E team that has won 3 straight games by 2 goals (Milwaukee, Bowling Green and Butler)

Notre Dame moved up to #4 in RPI  with 3-1 win over Michigan (Michigan was #18 in RPI before last night)

a very improved Pitt team is #33 in RPI after a 3-2 overtime win over Penn State

Quote from SIU-E coach about their next game:

SIUE returns to Mid-American Conference play Friday with a 6 p.m. CT game at Akron.

"A game like this is why we joined the MAC," Sanchez said. "As players and as coaches we want to test ourselves. The reason we play the Syracuses, the Michigan States, the Butlers is to prepare for games like Friday night. And we're not going there just to compete. We are going there to get a result."

After that disaster at Trinidad & Tobago, this was a nice read this morning from U17 USMNT Head Coach, John Hackworth, who is leading his team in the U!7 WC in India.

The link is to...

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Would "win" be too strong of a word?

Captain, you're getting your footballs confused.  :lol:.   This game is full of strategy, including psychology.  But I don't think coach will tell his squad, "Go out there and get a draw!".  lol

In Soccer parlance, result means win or draw.  Not exactly sure when that terminology started, but it is very old, like 100+ years old.  

An Arsenal fan, I have read accounts of soldiers, newly returned from the Boer War, hoping the club could get a result vs. Newcastle United.  

22 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Would "win" be too strong of a word?

I think the more clear answer is that a draw and "win" in a pk shootout is not a called win, but the result is as good as a win.

7 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

A draw is a result.  It is worth 1 point.  A win is a “result” worth 3 points.  A loss is worth no points, or no result.

“Result” = An outcome “resulting” in points.

But when you talk about getting a result out an overall tournament, you mean being the champion. In soccer, you either win the championship match on goals in the run of play/OT, or you tie and "win" on pk's. Winning on pk's is not really a "win" but the result is you are champion.

Edited by Zip_ME87

And you can have a "bad" result....or the manager just resigned to the fact, say "at least we got a result" leading by a goal and giving up the equalizer in the closing moments or stoppage time....being an arsenal fan,  fknbuflobo can relate to that the past few years!  :D   BTW, my conversion from Gooner to a Kopite isn't quite working out the way I anticipated....but at least I'm not constantly screaming at the telly about Wenger and the despised Kroenke!!!

• Haha 1