• 150 to 209 yards
    • 210 or more yards
  3. 3. Zips will pass for?

• 229 or less yards
    • 230 to 299 yards
    • 300 or more yards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Dr Z pinned this topic

IMO this game will come down to the effectiveness of the Zips limiting a Broncos running game that is averaging 237 yards per game. I'm hoping that the continual progression of Zips passing game makes for some big rushing plays. If you feel good about the Zips this week, you can get 5:1 odds. 

Scattered thunderstorms and winds 5-10 MPH ??

35 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

IMO this game will come down to the effectiveness of the Zips limiting a Broncos running game that is averaging 237 yards per game. I'm hoping that the continual progression of Zips passing game makes for some big rushing plays. If you feel good about the Zips this week, you can get 5:1 odds. 

Scattered thunderstorms and winds 5-10 MPH ??

I agree. It's time to see how much improved the Zips defense is against our own conference.

Edited by zipsoutsider

Jon Wassink has been limited to 3 interceptions this year, and the Broncos are 12th in the nation fumbling the ball 0.6 times a game. 

I wouldn't bank on the Broncos making multiple turnovers in this game, they don't seem like a careless team with the ball. Weather could be a factor though. 

This would be my focus. Let's go run stoppers! Show me cover 0 and let Gilbert run wild. Coach Stroud should have them fired up. ???

bronco.jpg

After watching WMU last week and given what we have seen from the Zip's D its gonna be tough for them to slow down the WMU running game significantly. They have a very physical O-Line and Franklin is a horse. And,they have two other backs who are very effective. Unfortunately the strength of the Akron D aside from Gilbert appears to be the CB's. Does Amato take the chance of trying to put 7 in the box consistently to make WMU throw a bit more and hope the DB's can play head up? What they can't do is commit penalties! No penalties!

On the other hand, Woodson is going to have to play his best game. And,the WR's are going to have to give him some room to throw. Gotta have a completion % over 60 so there are not a bunch of '3 and outs'. No turnovers. 0! If Woodson can't find an open receiver he has to throw it away or better yet run the damn ball. He hasn't consistently shown the willingness to do that this season. If Wolf can get himself open and Woodson looks for him Wolf could be a big possession receiver this week. I think the only way Zips run against these guys is off the pass. They might be able to break a couple if they don't try to slug it out with the WMU D-line. Zips O-line isn't capable of that.

That said if they could steal this one you might have a 'Novemeber to Remember'. Remember 2007.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Jon Wassink has been limited to 3 interceptions this year, and the Broncos are 12th in the nation fumbling the ball 0.6 times a game. 

I wouldn't bank on the Broncos making multiple turnovers in this game, they don't seem like a careless team with the ball. Weather could be a factor though. 

This would be my focus. Let's go run stoppers! Show me cover 0 and let Gilbert run wild. Coach Stroud should have them fired up. ???

bronco.jpg

Yes, and they are #17 in the nation in rushing yards facing an Akron team that hasn't shown the ability to stop the run. I wouldn't count on the Zips stuffing their running game. WMU IMO is just flat out the better team. Luckily for us the better team doesn't always win. The great equalizer is turnovers where I feel Akron needs to be +2-3 to be in a position to win this late.The fact you mention WMU doesn't turn the ball over much only decreases Akron's chances of winning.

40 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

I'm just hoping that WMU is physically exhausted after playing a 7OT game. That's seven drives on offense and seven drives on defense. That's like playing an extra half of a football game.

And people are atill talking about it...

This is a game we can win, just not aure if we will win it.  

19 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

I'm just hoping that WMU is physically exhausted after playing a 7OT game. That's seven drives on offense and seven drives on defense. That's like playing an extra half of a football game.

We're getting into the "dog days" of the schedule too, where those nagging injuries don't seem to go away, and practices get less and less fun.

With WMU coming off such a tough game, and the Zips coming off a comparative "bye week," you'd hope we have some fresher legs than the Broncos.

If we can jump on them early, I like our chances. If we start off slow...as we have in all three losses...the game will go as the oddsmakers predict. 

I was at the Hudson/Stow game last night. Up 14-10 at the half, Stow on-side kicked to begin the 2nd half. They recovered, and immediately scored a TD. Hudson never recovered.

I'd love to see the Zips get a little creative on Saturday. We need to do something "extra" if we're going to beat a team like WMU on the road. 

• Like 2

• Dr Z unlocked and unpinned this topic
On 10/13/2017 at 11:20 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'd love to see the Zips get a little creative on Saturday. We need to do something "extra" if we're going to beat a team like WMU on the road. 

Whoever dialed into the big man upstairs and requested the hellacious rainstorm certainly did a little extra and was thinking outside the box! ;)

• Like 1