Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville

4 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

This will be a tough contest.

http://www.siuecougars.com/sports/m-soccer/index

What's your gut feel for tomorrow night?  I was hoping Cleve St. game would be a tune up but looks like Jared gave the reserves more time to rest some of the bigs.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I was just hoping a little play time might shake off any doubts from the WMU game.

11 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I agree. I was there in Omaha in 2012 when the Zips got their first win in the series. Time for the 2nd one tonight. Go Zips. 

I'm trying to locate our 1979 schedule/results.  Both I and Fknbuflobo claim to have been at LJF (in the bleachers alongside the Nanchoff Bros) when our side beat SIU-E the season that they won the NCAA title.  Come on Zips historians.  Don't make us all out as liars! 

In any case, at halftime, Akron leads (just) 1-0, a very lopsided contest, if not score.  We've owned nearly 90% of the possession time it seems (I watched about 20-25 minutes).  We have 9 shots to 3, 3 SOG to 0.  Need to put a couple more away in the second half!

3-1 final when the team could have scored (a few) more.  Again, they were absolutely dominant in most every element of the football game.  That has been the case in all games I've watched, with the only thing that slows them down being difficulty linking up in the final 16 -- and then on the road exclusively.  So, yes, as others have said, they have to get better when they play on the road if they're to go far into the post-season -- like to the College Cup, where IMHO they belong.  Notre Dame will be a better test -- perhaps the best of the season so far.  Look forward to that game, though I figure Akron should be favored.

33 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

I loved the way that the Zips overcame the adversity of giving up the one goal. You could tell that SIUE was pressuring for a change of momentum after the play, but the Zips held strong and answered quickly to stop any sort of run before it could begin. 

Yes, very nice to see Joao immediately wanting to make amends and quickly doing so, and then doing so again for good measure.

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm trying to locate our 1979 schedule/results.  Both I and Fknbuflobo claim to have been at LJF (in the bleachers alongside the Nanchoff Bros) when our side beat SIU-E the season that they won the NCAA title.  Come on Zips historians.  Don't make us all out as liars!

It appears your memories are in error...October 14, 1979, L 0-2 SIU-E,

Page 67 of the Zips Mens Soccer Media Guide... http://gozips.com/documents/2017/8/25/msoc_17guide_web.pdf

Edited by Zip_ME87

Pittsburgh beats ND tonight....Sam Gainford on the pitch for the clean up time, looked kinda stiff and not really match fit, but still a positive sign.  Nick Hinds also plays almost the enitre second half, so may be the mending needed is taking place?  Lots of juicy tidbits fro Friday the 13th!  And there's always the annual Soctoberfest to look forward to on the 21st!

soctober.jpg

Disappointing to not get the clean sheet. Jared said in his interview they sometimes focus too much on the negative, and so he didn't go on about that blunder. As I mentioned, I was happy with  the Zips'/Joao's response, but they have to learn from those mistakes. To win against the best teams, those mistakes cannot be committed.

West Virginia...has had an up and down lat 8 days...this week , they upset #1 RPI Michigan State

the previous saturday, they tied a poor Northern Illinois team

tonight, WVU....played to 0-0 stalemate with Bowling Green (BGSU lost last week 3-1 to SIU-E)

in other mac news ...Western Michigan 5  Northern Illinois 0

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Looking like Kalamazoo for November 10th MAC tourney....IMHO.  Hope I am wrong, don’t wanna make the drive and spend the weekend.

and they have no lights at their facility....so Friday games would have to be at 11 am and 2 pm

The zips would have to go 3-0-0 in last 3 while WMU would have to go to 1-1-1 against BGSU, SIU-E and West Virginia

Like zipsvoice....I would not bet on that occurring