38 minutes ago, bigzipguy said:

Hilltopper,

I watched the replay of the play resulting in our first PK attempt at least a dozen times. I am not convinced he did not go down on his own.

I agree with BZG here.  EZ had the ball behind him and was reaching back to get it.  What contact there was, I don't think it was clear to give a PK (but I'll take it).

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Just asking.  The player was clearly outside the penalty box, but the ball he was playing was inside.  What is the rule?

I'm warming up to this game.  Still learning!

There is no doubt that a foul occurred.

Spot of infraction is critical to referee’s decision.  Where the actual moment of foul is what counts.  I was 35 feet away, maybe closer. Contact was initiated outside the box, but foul occurred inside the 18. 

In similar situations, Referees will most often reward a Free Kick outside the box because spot of foul is called into question.  I would not have blamed the Ref last night for deciding likewise.  It took courage to award a second Penalty Kick to the home side in a high profile match.

I have no problem whatsoever with the PK awarded in the first half.  That gets called 10 out of 10 times.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Hmm.  I'm testing my late night math skills here, and can't figure out how a 3-7-3 record is to our advantage.  B)

In press releases like that, they (NDU in this case) nearly always place their own school first in order, so the '3' is for the Irish.  I think the UA uses the same format.  University specific, not sport specific.  Though I still always shake my head when college broadcasts on TV show the road team first on their scoreboard.  PAC-12 and B1G nets both do that!  US Broadcasters of pro footie have learned the "proper" method, but for college ball it still tends to be backwards.

4 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

There is no doubt that a foul occurred.

Spot of infraction is critical to referee’s decision.  Where the actual moment of foul is what counts.  I was 35 feet away, maybe closer. Contact was initiated outside the box, but foul occurred inside the 18. 

In similar situations, Referees will most often reward a Free Kick outside the box because spot of foul is called into question.  I would not have blamed the Ref last night for deciding likewise.  It took courage to award a second Penalty Kick to the home side in a high profile match.

I have no problem whatsoever with the PK awarded in the first half.  That gets called 10 out of 10 times.

I haven't watched a replay of the ESPN3 telecast, but they showed each penalty call 2 or 3 times, and I definitely agreed with the first one -- the keeper definitely obstructed the attacking player and took him down without (pretty sure here) touching the ball.  The second call that was made, the Akron player (Stuart, I believe) looked to me to have stepped into the box just before he was pushed from behind.  My only question is the amount of pressure applied by the defender.  Had that been in MLS, the ref likely would let it pass, but college refs tend to allow less contact to call a PK.  Then there was the earlier play in the second half where Stuart collided with the Notre Dame GK.  The keeper did make contact with the ball before the collision, so no penalty.