2017 Bowl Watch

Balsy

Here is a current list of the Bowls that the MAC has contracts with (*Secondary Bowl for MAC):

Camellia Bowl

Bahamas Bowl

Potato Bowl

Dollar General Bowl

*St. Petersburg Bowl

*Boca Rotan Bowl

*Quick Lane Bowl

Teams Bowl Eligible:

Toledo

Ohio

Akron

Northern Illinois

Western Michigan

C. Mighican

Teams in the Hunt:

Buffalo

Miami

Teams Eliminated:

Bowling Green

Ball St.

Kent State

E. Michigan

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I thought you were kidding....but you weren’t!  How can they even put all the scenarios together and come up with THAT!  Could this be the Great Frisco Bowl Jinx we’ve all heard about?  :rofl:

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I thought you were kidding....but you weren’t!  How can they even put all the scenarios together and come up with THAT!  Could this be the Great Frisco Bowl Jinx we’ve all heard about?  :rofl:

:lol: I know right?  It's mostly because they're desperate to pump out some sort of click-bait that's going to make you have to shift through the whole list before you get to the "big" bowl games.  I put the zips being the "Great Frisco Bowl" at about ... 0%.  :lol:

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Balsy said:

Ohhhhh.  I thought this was the game played at the 49ers Stadium in Santa Clara...Wrong!!!  FC Dallas Stadium in Frisco, as in Tejas!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/05/23/frisco-bowl-to-debut-this-season-in-texas-at-mls-stadium/102067374/

BTW -- I found like about 5 sites doing bowl "prognostication", and that was the only one that has Akron in ANY bowl!

Edited by Z.I.P.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Ohhhhh.  I thought this was the game played at the 49ers Stadium in Santa Clara...Wrong!!!  FC Dallas Stadium in Frisco, as in Tejas!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/05/23/frisco-bowl-to-debut-this-season-in-texas-at-mls-stadium/102067374/

BTW -- I found like about 5 sites doing bowl "prognostication", and that was the only one that has Akron in ANY bowl!

We do have a pretty formidable soccer defense....maybe Jared should share some players if we do the Frisco...:rofl:

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Balsy, any gauge on whether or not there will be enough bowl eligible (6-6 or better) teams this season? Probably too early to tell, but its been the case the past few years and I recall reading about it around this time, probably a little later.

I thought I read earlier in a thread that there were predicted to be too many bowl eligible teams this season?  Something like 80 plus?  

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Balsy, any gauge on whether or not there will be enough bowl eligible (6-6 or better) teams this season? Probably too early to tell, but its been the case the past few years and I recall reading about it around this time, probably a little later.

Yeah not sure.  Looking at the MAC right now it's difficult to say, because (up until yesterday's games) everyone was still (technically) eligible. For here on out everything is STILL in Akron's court, despite ZG01 and K92 meltdowns over on the other side of the forum.  Buffalo, Miami, Ohio and Kent.  All four of these games are winnable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balsy said:

Yeah not sure.  Looking at the MAC right now it's difficult to say, because (up until yesterday's games) everyone was still (technically) eligible. For here on out everything is STILL in Akron's court, despite ZG01 and K92 meltdowns over on the other side of the forum.  Buffalo, Miami, Ohio and Kent.  All four of these games are winnable. 

We still have a chance at out best regular season record, ever, since going Div 1.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Balsy said:

And yet there are people still crying like babies.

We've lost to a probable playoff team in PSU, now ranked Iowa State (who has beaten Oklahoma), 5-2 probably Sun-belt champ with a W over LSU in Troy, and 6-1, probable MAC champ, whose only loss is to undefeated Miami. These are top P5 and G5 teams we've lost to. Who really cares about the score yesterday. Last year WMU beat us 41-0. Didn't mean crap this year. Things got out of hand quick and we don't exactly have a high powered offense to keep up. A few bounces our way and yesterday can look a lot different. Not a W, but a lot more respectable. Smith holds onto the ball at the 1, Woody doesn't overthrow Bickley, etc.

If we lose like we did yesterday to an OU, or lose to a Miami, Buffalo with their 3rd string QB, or Kent, I can understand the bitching. IIRC, we were picked to finish 4th in the MAC East this season. Not the MAC overall. The MAC East.

• Thanks 2

Here is the updated list.  With these past weekend's games, Toledo and Ohio have secured Bowl eligibility, and Only BGSU has been officially eliminated.  Next week is do or die time for a lot of teams "In The Hunt" at the bottom end of the MAC.  They essentially have to win-out to break even for eligibility.

Camellia Bowl

Bahamas Bowl

Potato Bowl

Dollar General Bowl

*St. Petersburg Bowl

*Boca Rotan Bowl

*Quick Lane Bowl

Teams Bowl Eligible:

Toledo

Ohio

Teams in the Hunt:

Northern Illinois

Akron

Western Michigan

Buffalo

C. Mighican

Kent

Miami

Ball St.

E. Michigan

Miami

Teams Eliminated:

Bowling Green

I fear playing in the Bahamas Bowl because I'll be in Miami that day. The logistics would be tempting, but more than epic.

I would have to catch a bus in Miami to the train station at 6 am, take the train to Fort Lauderdale, take a three hour boat "shuttle" to the Bahamas arrive near 11 am, find my way to the stadium, more than likely have to leave by 4:30 pm to catch the three hour boat back to Fort Lauderdale. Take the 40 minute train ride back to Miami, and take a bus back to my condo by, oh, I would guess 11:30 pm. ?

Just win the MAC please. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDMac said:

Woe is me over here with the condo in Miami... 

Haha, just renting. Other Florida bowl games may work for me as well. Boca would be a pretty easy train ride. St. Petersburg would be a four hour drive, but probably doable. Just win baby!

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

I still say the MAC should have a designated bowl destination for its champion if not in the New Years Six and that this bowl should be against a power 5 conference representative.

In this era of "a million bowls", it is actually disappointing that the MAC Champ really doesn't have any advantage in terms of being placed in anything close to a high profile Bowl.  Or, even a bowl that is notably more high profile than some of the teams that finished behind them.  

I get that, Kreed.  

Maybe what's really noticeable for an old guy like me is that the early MAC years had everyone playing for a trip to the Silver Bowl in Vegas.  A prime Winter destination for fans, and one of only maybe 20 bowl games at the time? 

It wasn't like a New Years Bowl Game, but at least the MAC title came with a much, much more significant Bowl Reward for the champ.   

Today (although half the teams get a bowl game today), you could probably take all of the Bowls rewarded to all of the MAC teams, throw them in a barrel, and pick out names.