2017 Bowl Watch

Balsy

On 11/25/2017 at 6:20 AM, Dr Z said:

We went there in 2011.  Unseasonably mild weather.  Fantastic experience (except for the game).  So different than any other bowl.  And quite the cultural experience for hicks from Iowa.  I'm from Chicago, so it was fun watching our fans navigate the city.   Too bad you can't tailgate in The Bronx.  Instead, we threw a party at Dave & Buster's in Time Square!  I have to say overall it was a great time.  

14 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Do the schools usually lobby the bowl(s) they want to play in?

Yes, I think schools lobby the bowls (and bowls the schools) they want.  For instance, Iowa State got picked for the Liberty Bowl in 2012 ahead of teams with better records because they knew we wanted to be there and would bring fans.  Our 35k-plus fans took over Memphis.  Some of the competition is against teams in your own conference because bowls can pick eligible teams but doesn't have to follow the order of conference standings.  

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:52 PM, Cykron said:

Yes, I think schools lobby the bowls (and bowls the schools) they want.  For instance, Iowa State got picked for the Liberty Bowl in 2012 ahead of teams with better records because they knew we wanted to be there and would bring fans.  Our 35k-plus fans took over Memphis.  Some of the competition is against teams in your own conference because bowls can pick eligible teams but doesn't have to follow the order of conference standings.  

OK, I guess we passed on the Bahamas. Probably wanted something a little closer and drivable to hopefully get more fans there.

17 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

OK, I guess we passed on the Bahamas. Probably wanted something a little closer and drivable to hopefully get more fans there.

Does this mean that both Toledo and Akron passed on the opportunity for the Bahamas Bowl?  Or did Ohio just take it first?  

45 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Does this mean that both Toledo and Akron passed on the opportunity for the Bahamas Bowl?  Or did Ohio just take it first?  

Because they are in the Title game, they really could not commit because of they would have to get Passports, and that could take a while......

53 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Being a Div. Champ or Conference champ from the MAC is going to provide better opportunities than having to leave the Country. 

I'm sure that bowl just started shopping early for teams that were done for the season.   

3 hours ago, Cykron said:

The question in my mind is wouldn't we rather try the Bahamas Bowl than go back to the Potato Bowl? Nothing against Boise but we've recently been there done that. And it requires flying just like the Bahamas (but no passports).

On 11/27/2017 at 2:58 PM, zipsoutsider said:

I know this is not how many feel, but the Potato Bowl is better than the Camelia or Cure Bowl, IMHO. 

I agree only because playing against the Mountain West is a better draw than the Sun Belt. I would still prefer to go somewhere else only because we have been to this one before. Too bad the Poinsetta went belly up. I live about an hour north of San Diego and would love to see our Zips come to the west coast.

36 minutes ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

I agree only because playing against the Mountain West is a better draw than the Sun Belt. I would still prefer to go somewhere else only because we have been to this one before. Too bad the Poinsetta went belly up. I live about an hour north of San Diego and would love to see our Zips come to the west coast.

Yeah, and I want to add a new patch to my jersey! :lol:

1 hour ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

I agree only because playing against the Mountain West is a better draw than the Sun Belt. I would still prefer to go somewhere else only because we have been to this one before. 

But, I love that the prognosticators are talking about Arkansas State out of the Sun Belt.  The perennial power of that league that's had some recent 10-win seasons, and recently catapulted the careers of Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn.  

Going to a nice, warm southern location, and getting a draw like that would be the jackpot for me.  

I really don't want to go back to Boise again either.  

Edited by skip-zip

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Being a Div. Champ or Conference champ from the MAC is going to provide better opportunities than having to leave the Country. 

I'm sure that bowl just started shopping early for teams that were done for the season.   

Not sure of the pecking order of bowls, but is Boise or Mobile that much higher than the Bahamas?  The payout might be better elsewhere, but come on, its the Bahamas!  

Mobile is the highest payout of the mac 1st auto bids. It is the unofficial bowl for the champ since the motor city bowl. The reason (i presume) it stays unofficial is many times now our top team (or even teams) are able to move up in the bowls. Even to the Orange bowl. The G5 bowls can't promote a Mac champ vs Sunbelt champ ect when the champs are able to move up and make the conference more money. 

As far as Mobile that community really embraces that bowl and gives it a big time feel with all the festivities they put on. Its not a bad bowl to go to and its easy to access.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Per TB, tonight on Zips Live, MAC winner has typically gone to Dollar General and loser to Camelia. Cities can lobby, but ESPN has final say and will pick what is beat for ratings.

According to Wikipedia, there's quite the difference in payouts from those two bowls.... $750,000 for the DG Bowl compared to $100,000 for the Camelia Bowl. 

Also, the DG Bowl is played in a 40,000 seat stadium while the Camelia Bowl is in a 20,000 seat stadium. Although, neither will be full anyways so that doesn't really matter.