2017 Bowl Watch

Balsy

5 hours ago, akzipper said:

Basically just added another away game against a good CUSA opponent. Not great.

Similar for us.  Iowa State goes to the Liberty Bowl to play #20 Memphis (10-2) in their home stadium.

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

The Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl...what an awful name.  Just keep it at Boca Raton Bowl, sponsored by Cheribundi Tart Cherry....good lord.

Is it worse than the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, or the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl?  Bowls need sponsors -- Bad!  The Arizona Bowl has no sponsor, and apparently no pay-out to NMSU and USU.  

6 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Is it worse than the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, or the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl?  Bowls need sponsors -- Bad!  The Arizona Bowl has no sponsor, and apparently no pay-out to NMSU and USU.  

I get that they need sponsors...but c'mon companies make it UNIQUE!  like "The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl" Good name, memorable, cute...kinda hokey.  But I guess there's no way to make Cheribundi Tart Cherry unique...but hey Purchasing the sponsorship has had it's desired effect: never heard of them before...and now I've been to their site.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

They had a good season but definitely have a higher opinion of themselves than the rest of the world and A complete lack of understanding. Why this match up? Tv ratings. Bowden vs. Kiffin. Both recognizable names to college football fans.

I am guessing we were bound for the Camelia Bowl and either Bowden wheeled and sealed his way up or ESPN saw the advantage of us in the Boca bowl and decided they would put us there, instead, and thus we used our bowl tie in with the switch.

FWIW, I saw tweets from some  OU, IN, and Toledo fans jealous of our bowl pick. Our system is messed up. Congrats, Toledo, you won the MAC Championship. You get to go to Mobile, Alabama! OU, you list the MAC East. You get to go to the Bahamas! Akron, you beat everyone's expectations, but still got soundly beat in the MAC Championship. You get to play Lane Kiffin in the Boca Raton Bowl!  UB, you had 6 wins, but still were not that great, you can sit at home. Oh, and by the way, we are going to pass on the Camelia Bowl.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

They had a good season but definitely have a higher opinion of themselves than the rest of the world and A complete lack of understanding. Why this match up? Tv ratings. Bowden vs. Kiffin. Both recognizable names to college football fans.

I am guessing we were bound for the Camelia Bowl and either Bowden wheeled and sealed his way up or ESPN saw the advantage of us in the Boca bowl and decided they would put us there, instead, and thus we used our bowl tie in with the switch.

FWIW, I saw tweets from some  OU, IN, and Toledo fans jealous of our bowl pick. Our system is messed up. Congrats, Toledo, you won the MAC Championship. You get to go to Mobile, Alabama! OU, you list the MAC East. You get to go to the Bahamas! Akron, you beat everyone's expectations, but still got soundly beat in the MAC Championship. You get to play Lane Kiffin in the Boca Raton Bowl!  UB, you had 6 wins, but still were not that great, you can sit at home. Oh, and by the way, we are going to pass on the Camelia Bowl.

Came here to say something similar. The rest of the MAC is most definitely jealous of our bowl pick. The fact that it is a home game for FAU is a bummer, but I can't imagine a higher profile G5 vs G5 match up, mostly due in part to the Lane Train. Big opportunity here for us to go down to FAU and pick up a big win in our target recruiting area. Can we take advantage of it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cykron said:

I am a bit jealous of you guys going to a bowl in Florida.  We have never had a bowl in Florida.  Hope you give Kiffin a good kickin'!  

Cykron, I'll be surprised if you come back here in a few weeks, and tell me that you didn't love Memphis.  Go party on Beale St., hit the Blues Bars, Hit some of the famous authentic BBQ joints like the Rendezvous, go watch the mallard ducks parade in and out of the lobby at the majestic and historic Peabody Hotel (twice per day) and go see the city from their rooftop, and you will have a fantastic experience.  And the Liberty Bowl is an old-style BOWL-shaped stadium that's excellent for fans.  And they have a parade for the bowl game, which is outstanding.   

23 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Cykron, I'll be surprised if you come back here in a few weeks, and tell me that you didn't love Memphis.  Go party on Beale St., hit the Blues Bars, Hit some of the famous authentic BBQ joints like the Rendezvous, go watch the mallard ducks parade in and out of the lobby at the majestic and historic Peabody Hotel (twice per day) and go see the city from their rooftop, and you will have a fantastic experience.  And the Liberty Bowl is an old-style BOWL-shaped stadium that's excellent for fans.  And they have a parade for the bowl game, which is outstanding.   

+1 for Memphis. There is a ton to do and something for everyone.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I'll come here right now and say it.  We went to the Liberty Bowl in 2012 and had a great time, even though it was a bit cold and rainy for the game.  It is nice when a town actually cares about its bowl.  And the tie-in with the hospital is fantastic.  We had a great time (until the second quarter).  Beale Street was very enjoyable.  The only problem was establishments that didn't expect so many of our fans.  Places were running out of food and beer!  I don't know how you could let that happen.    

Our beef is mostly, like yours, that we have to play an opponent on their home field with their hometown fans.  However, we are hoping to make it a 50/50 crowd which should be fun.  I've never been to one of those before.  Our fans got their hopes up for the Camping World Bowl in Orlando, but we are not quite there yet.  Maybe next year (if you don't steal a win from us in Ames).  BTW, our last bowl game in Memphis was with Tulsa with whom we were playing a home/away series.  We played them 3 times within 13 months.  So, maybe there could be a third matchup with the Zips for us.  

Still, it would be nice to go to Florida this year.

13 minutes ago, Cykron said:

We went to the Liberty Bowl in 2012 and had a great time, even though it was a bit cold and rainy for the game.  It is nice when a town actually cares about its bowl. 

Memphis can sometimes get some great December weather.  I hope you are more fortunate this time.  

Yes, the city has always been proud of their connection to the bowl, and rolls out the red carpet for the fans.  

Sounds like the bars and restaurants need to get with the program.  :D

Lets not complain too much after what happened on Saturday. Enjoy the fact that they got into 2 post season football games. Been a long time for that. BUT, hopefully Bowden/Amato has these guys a little better prepared for this one. Don't want another blowout 1) on national TV or 2) in an area where Bowden tries to recruit. Doesn't do the MAC any good for the future either if teams aren't competitive in post season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

zipsoutsider got it right here.  This "system" is crazy, and I can't frankly blame other MAC schools and fans for being upset, even "jealous".  What's the use in playing a championship game if the loser ends up in a nicer (And richer) bowl situation than the winner?  There's a committee to make brackets for NCAA tournaments, but for bowls, there's some ESPN number cruncher acting like a mad scientist!

Not many nicer places in the US in late December other than south Florida. ???? Easy, and inexpensive to get to from CAK. ?☀️

2017 MAC Bowl Schedule:

Akron vs. Florida Atlantic (American), Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl, Dec. 19, 7:00 pm ET (ESPN)

Ohio vs. UAB (C-USA), Bahamas Bowl, Dec. 22, 12:30 pm ET (ESPN)

Central Michigan vs. Wyoming (Mountain West), Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Dec. 22, 4:00 pm ET (ESPN)

Toledo vs. Appalachian State (Sun Belt), Dollar General Bowl, Dec. 23, 7:00 pm ET (ESPN)

Northern Illinois vs. Duke (Atlantic Coast Conference), Quick Lane Bowl, Dec. 26, 5:15 pm ET (ESPN)

• Like 1

I think a bowl "cheapens" itself when it invites the hometown team.

From Akron's perspective, I think it is a tough draw competitively, but good otherwise.  I think more alums are likely to go to Boca than Mobile and I think a game involving Kiffin is always likely to draw more interest nationally.  Also, as some have mentioned, with Florida as a recruiting base, this helps the Zips visibility down there.

I heard Skip and Keener are in charge of the bus trip! 

Edited by clarkwgriswold

6 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Not many nicer places in the US in late December other than south Florida. ???? Easy, and inexpensive to get to from CAK. ?☀️

I thought the same, but was looking this morning and it doesn't seem too cheap anymore. It looks like Allegiant pulled out of CAK?? Right now the cheapest option by far looks to be to fly into Fort Myers from CLE, rent a car, and then make the 2 hour drive to Boca Raton.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I thought the same, but was looking this morning and it doesn't seem too cheap anymore. It looks like Allegiant pulled out of CAK?? Right now the cheapest option by far looks to be to fly into Fort Myers from CLE, rent a car, and then make the 2 hour drive to Boca Raton.

Yesterday Spirit was 24.19 to Orlando

7 minutes ago, Balsy said:

If we could get Akron to a high win season...say 10-2, or 9-3... and win the MAC, there's a chance we could get a super awesome bowl?

Make it Happen Terry.  Make.  It.  Happen.

I'm not sure I buy that, unless we have different definitions of what a super awesome bowl is.

Edited by LZIp

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm not sure I buy that, unless we have different definitions of what a super awesome bowl is.

One better than the MAC Typically draws.   We did it this time...with a 7-6 team.  Boca Raton is a step-up (financially speaking).  I honestly don't care that much at the end of the day.  I get to continue watching Zips football for a 14th game, and get to add a new patch to the jersey.