2017 Bowl Watch

Balsy

Hard to shake the pessimism.  Glad the Zips proved me wrong and became the 60th bowl eligible team last night.  There are now 18 remaining spots and 45 teams that could still hit 6 wins.

With all the cancellations due to the hurricanes earlier in the season, I'm not sure if all games will be made up.  Would a bowl still have to choose a 6-6 team over a P5 that went 5-6 with a cancellation?

There are currently 77 teams that are .500 or better or already bowl eligible.  There are 40 bowl games, so 80 teams are needed.  We are going bowling no matter what.  There are MAC affiliate bowls that are guaranteed to MAC Champ and Runner-up and next two best teams.  We will likely end up in 1 of the 4 MAC Primary bowls, (Bahamas, Potato, Raycom, Dollar General) if we beat Kent.  If we end up in the Dollar General Bowl I know GP1 will be out there smiling somewhere.

• Haha 1

Updated List:

Camellia Bowl

Bahamas Bowl

Potato Bowl

Dollar General Bowl

*St. Petersburg Bowl

*Boca Rotan Bowl

*Quick Lane Bowl

Teams Bowl Eligible:

Toledo

Ohio

Akron

Northern Illinois

Western Michigan

C. Mighican

Teams in the Hunt:

Buffalo

Miami

Teams Eliminated:

Bowling Green

Ball St.

Kent State

E. Michigan

Just for fun (because none of this means anything), Here are some more throwing darts at the board...*cough* i mean... "projections"...  lets see if any of them pan out.

ESPN: Pinstripe Bowl vs Boston in NYC

Cure Bowl? vs Lousiana-Lafayette (I wouldn't mind that match-up, we've beaten them before)

Another Camellia Bowl vs. Georgia State

6 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

NYC is an easy road trip?!

I admit I'm an hour closer to NYC than those in Akron, but we were pulling into our hotel 5 hours after we left. It's a mid-week game, so if you time your drive right, you get into the city around 2 or 3 before rush hour gets too crazy. It's the closest bowl game to Akron beside Detroit. This would be a great destination, though I question if they'd take a MAC team.

13 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

It’s a Big 10 ACC bowl game 

yes, that prognosticator is saying the Zips would be the team that slides into the spot left vacant by the Big 10. The Big Ten is likely to leave some spots open in their bowl lineup because they will likely have multiple teams in the New Years Six. I'd be more inclined to think they'd send a MAC school to Detroit than New York for a bowl but I'd love it if it happened.

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

yes, that prognosticator is saying the Zips would be the team that slides into the spot left vacant by the Big 10. The Big Ten is likely to leave some spots open in their bowl lineup because they will likely have multiple teams in the New Years Six. I'd be more inclined to think they'd send a MAC school to Detroit than New York for a bowl but I'd love it if it happened.

I’m hoping if we slide into anything since their is a tie to it is the Boca Raton Bowl

Here I go being the pessimist again.  We need to win Tuesday.

Per the current count: 

70 Bowl Eligible Teams, 23 teams could still gain eligibility. 

This week there are 4 games that feature two 5-win teams:  Purdue/Indiana, ODU/MTSU, Cal/UCLA, and Utah/Colorado.  That puts the total at 74. 

Chances are that either FSU (beat Florida and ULM ) or Florida (beat FSU) will fill another spot.

There are 13 more teams that could possibly vie for those last 3 spots (ESPN odds of winning): 

**Louisiana vs GASO (63.6%), @App St (14.1%)

*NM St vs Idaho (73.1%), vs South Alabama (70.8%)

Louisiana Tech vs UTSA (44.6%)

UNLV @ Nevada (40.3%)

Florida vs FSU (36.2%)

Temple @ Tulsa (35.6%)

Duke @ Wake Forest (30.2%)

Buffalo vs OU (30%)

Tulane @ SMU (27.8%)

*Florida State @Florida (63.8%), vs ULM (96.3%)

Texas Tech @Texas (25.4%)

Georgia Tech vs UGA (21.3%)

Ole Miss @ Miss St (13.0%)

Minnesota vs Wisconsin (10.6%)

*UL Monroe vs Ark St (32.7%), @FSU (3.7%)

*-two games remaining, needs two wins

**-two games remaining, needs one win

We're a couple upsets away from a 6-6 team staying home.  I don't want to see Akron be that team.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I don't want to see Akron be that team.

I guess it's good then that our Uni reveal was getting some run on ESPN. Any pub helps at this point so hopefully the selection committees for the various bowls have a soft spot in their heart for the ROO.

Does anyone know, officially, if the Mac East and West division winners get auto-bids to any bowls and if so, to which? I can't find any specific tie in info for the various "likely" bowls that y'all have been discussing.

I guess there isn't an auto-bid for Mac #1 goes to such and such and MAC#2 goes to such and such like there is for the Power5s (e.g. the traditional B1G #1 vs PAC-12 #1 in Rose)

1 hour ago, CDMac said:

I guess it's good then that our Uni reveal was getting some run on ESPN. Any pub helps at this point so hopefully the selection committees for the various bowls have a soft spot in their heart for the ROO.

Does anyone know, officially, if the Mac East and West division winners get auto-bids to any bowls and if so, to which? I can't find any specific tie in info for the various "likely" bowls that y'all have been discussing.

I guess there isn't an auto-bid for Mac #1 goes to such and such and MAC#2 goes to such and such like there is for the Power5s (e.g. the traditional B1G #1 vs PAC-12 #1 in Rose)

http://getsomemaction.com/news/2017/5/10/FB_0510172825.aspx

has Mac bowls & tie ins

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CDMac said:

This is true but I do seem to remember at one point winning your division would automatically put you in a bowl if you had at least 6 wins. I don't think the MAC specifies any certain bowls for winning a division though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

I don't think the MAC specifies any certain bowls for winning a division though.

Nobody in the MAC is playing for any particular bowl game right now, are they?  Even the ultimate champ?

At least during previous eras, when we were playing for a bid to the Silver Bowl or the Motor City Bowl, it gave poeple something to talk about leading up to those final games.  It's not quite the same when you are saying that you're playing for "a bowl bid".  

53 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I posted a few weeks ago that according to the entry in Wikipedia the division winners are guaranteed bids.

Thanks, @akronzips71

Yes, I recall that. I guess what I was asking is whether or not those division winners are slated for specific bowls; i.e. the winner to X bowl and loser (2nd in MAC) to Y bowl.

Does not appear to be the case.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:21 PM, Balsy said:

Here is a current list of the Bowls that the MAC has contracts with (*Secondary Bowl for MAC): Camellia Bowl, Bahamas Bowl, Potato Bowl ,Dollar General Bowl, *St. Petersburg Bowl, *Boca Rotan Bowl, and  *Quick Lane Bowl

Camellia Bowl—Dec 16 at 8 pm—Montgomery, AL at Crampton Bowl

Boca Rotan Bowl—Dec 19 at 7 pm—Boca Raton, FL at FAU Stadium

Gasparilla Bowl—Dec 21 at 8 pm—St Petersburg, FL at Tropicana Field

Bahamas Bowl—Dec 22 at 12:30 pm—Paradise Island Bahamas at Thomas Robinson Stadium

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl—Dec 22 at 4 pm—Boise, ID at Albertsons Stadium

Dollar General Bowl—Dec 23 at 7 pm—Mobile, AL at Ladd-Peebles Stadium

Quick Lane Bowl—Dec 26 at 5:15 pm—Detroit, MI at Ford Field

All times listed as EST and broadcast on ESPN

11 hours ago, CDMac said:

Thanks, @akronzips71

Yes, I recall that. I guess what I was asking is whether or not those division winners are slated for specific bowls; i.e. the winner to X bowl and loser (2nd in MAC) to Y bowl.

Does not appear to be the case.

I don't think it is the case. It would be nice, though, if at least the MAC Champ had a designated bowl to go to and would be playing a P5 conference team.

2 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I don't think it is the case. It would be nice, though, if at least the MAC Champ had a designated bowl to go to and would be playing a P5 conference team.

As I stated above, I think it would be nice since everyone would be talking about particular Bowl Games as goals, as you reach the end of the season.  

Those bowls would get some extra publicity too.  

I think the problem is though that the Big-10 teams etc...don't want to play a Bowl game against the MAC, so it's difficult to set up a Big-10 vs MAC matchup.  And even if one were set up, it'll be whatever 6-6 Big-10 team couldn't get another Bowl bid.  But I even doubt that, because the teams are always going to choose the "better" bowl bid.  

Personally I think the Zips will get their choice of a Bowl this year, and will probably elect to make it an experience for the kids rather than a convenience for the fans.  I personally would like the Quicklane Bowl, because there's a good chance I could attend it.  But of course that's personal bias ;)