Game 1—Cleveland State

zippyfan34

56 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So, the Zips had involved assistants and made free throws.  Holy smokes.   If they stopped dribble penetration and occasionally pressured the ball, I may not be able to contain myself! 

Patience grasshopper. This years Zips are tall AND athletic, something we have not seen.

Traitor Dambrot took us are far as HE could go, NOT as far as WE can go. Buckle in, this year is going to be an interesting ride.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Happy we got the win and overcame a poor first half to do so.   However, the young Zips will have to play a much better 40 minutes to beat Tenn. Martin. Don't be fooled by their name or their conference. They can play a little bit.

Yep. Some members of ZN.O brought up Anthony Stewart (their HC) during our coaching search, and wanted him pretty bad IIRC.

Edited by LZIp

On 11/12/2017 at 1:53 AM, zvillezip said:

Ivey was off but I am not worried about him.

best five: 

Duvivier

ivey

utomi

ololjapoke

sayles

Bench

cotton

Patton

kostelac 

Solid showing for first game

I think you were watching a different game. Do you realize we have a 6'6" freshman guard WHO SCORED 17 POINTS IN HIS FIRST GAME ?????

Seriously dude, I like Sayles he has a great future but the STAR of this game was PARRISH.

When was the last time the Zips had a 6'6" GUARD who could PLAY? If only we had that in some of our post season appearances.

BTW, Cotton needs to get a haircut. Yeah I know blah blah blah he looked like a girl! No one who plays sports and has hair like that takes themselves seriously.

46 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I think you were watching a different game. Do you realize we have a 6'6" freshman guard WHO SCORED 17 POINTS IN HIS FIRST GAME ?????

Seriously dude, I like Sayles he has a great future but the STAR of this game was PARRISH.

When was the last time the Zips had a 6'6" GUARD who could PLAY? If only we had that in some of our post season appearances.

BTW, Cotton needs to get a haircut. Yeah I know blah blah blah he looked like a girl! No one who plays sports and has hair like that takes themselves seriously.

agree....i thgt parrish looked fluid with an  encompassing skill set...this kid will be the star/go to player of this team in the coming seasons if not sooner...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lilroodude said:
  • Kostelac was disappointing. It looked like the game was too fast for him. I hope that changes, because we could use his size.

I think that's the dilemma right now.   He has the size we desperately need, but he can't do what we need him to do.  He's probably worth the gamble with a scholarship, but he's a project, at best.  Maybe somewhere down the line his passing skills and his shooting touch might make him more value to us when we have a more robust lineup around him.   But for those hoping he was going to fill some kind of Center role for us, you're hoping for something that might never emerge unless he miraculously becomes able to move on the court with athletes at this level.  I think the coaches are going to try to get as much as we can from some very undersized front court players who are much more athletic.  And that looks like our best option.

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

And you don't see that there's a reason for that ?

Could be many reasons, some of which have already been pointed out. I mean Coach Groce did have him inserted into the game early and has had a chance to see him all through camp and in multiple scrimmages vs other D-1 opponents. Obviously he has shown something. Calling a true freshman a "project at best" after 2 minutes of playing time in their first game ever is a huge reach. Even if he doesn't show much his freshman year, that doesn't make him a "project at best".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I think that's the dilemma right now.   He has the size we desperately need, but he can't do what we need him to do.  He's probably worth the gamble with a scholarship, but he's a project, at best.  Maybe somewhere down the line his passing skills and his shooting touch might make him more value to us when we have a more robust lineup around him.   But for those hoping he was going to fill some kind of Center role for us, you're hoping for something that might never emerge unless he miraculously becomes able to move on the court with athletes at this level.  I think the coaches are going to try to get as much as we can from some very undersized front court players who are much more athletic.  And that looks like our best option.

This is pretty silly, IMHO.

I've seen Mark in practice, and I can promise you he has every bit the athleticism you've determined he doesn't have.  His speed up the court is top half of the team.

Should we read into Sayles only getting 6 minutes that he's a project?

Game 1, friends, game 1.

B)B)

• Like 4

Way too early assessment from watching a choppy ESPN3 broadcast via my Roku:

Parrish:  I like the Quincy Diggs comparisons.  He seems to be more under control and level-headed than Q (of course, ONE GAME).  Q's biggest downfall was emotion and temper pushing him over the top from time to time.  Could potentially be a conference star. 

Sayles:  Similar to Kwan but not afraid to bang down low.  Uses his 6'9" frame well, built to be a star.  I had thought he was a perimeter player based on recruiting sites. 

Kostelac:  As mentioned, it was 2 minutes.  My impression was that he is a Mike Bardo type with a higher upside.  He may get pushed around a little this year, but has the potential to be a pretty decent back to the basket guy.  Again, hard to tell with my sample size.

Cotton:  Jury is out for me.  He played nearly half the game and I didn't notice anything much.  Has good handles, but game one seemed to move pretty fast for him.  Looking at the box, the biggest thing that stands out is 5 TOs.  That'll improve.

Patton:  Ditto.  Though I did like seeing 6 rebounds out of him and 5 out of Cotton. 

Duvivier:  Kid looks like he's chiseled out of stone.  That dunk made my wife and I stand up from our couch and yell.  Seemed to come out of nowhere.  Must be those increases in vertical leap that everyone was talking about.  3/12 shooting leaves much to be desired, but he had 5 of the team's 7 (yuck) assists, and just 2 TOs in 35 minutes.  Sucks he's only around 1 year.

Other observations:

Poke disappointed me.  We'll need some production from him to have success in conference this year.  Every day that goes by, he reminds me more of Quade Milum.  I would bet as the season goes by, we some quality connections between him and Duvivier for some "Wow" alley-oops.

Utomi could potentially average a double-double this year with this team's rebounding technique/focus.  Potential All-MAC guy and probably the key to this year along with Jimond.

Ivey...seemed to be pressing a little and into "hero ball" for a few possessions.  Guy probably is one of the most skilled on the team overall.  We probably won't see another game where he shoots 3/14, and most certainly not one where we win.  I'm thankful he stayed at UA.  Fiery guy that loves the game.  He'll develop that trust in his teammates.

I have to remind myself that this team returns 3 guys that contributed at all last year.  They're talented, and I hope the staff can bring them all together.  I liked what I saw in the 2nd half.  The conference is down this year, so 20 wins isn't out of the question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

Way too early assessment from watching a choppy ESPN3 broadcast via my Roku:

Parrish:  I like the Quincy Diggs comparisons.  He seems to be more under control and level-headed than Q (of course, ONE GAME).  Q's biggest downfall was emotion and temper pushing him over the top from time to time.  Could potentially be a conference star. 

Sayles:  Similar to Kwan but not afraid to bang down low.  Uses his 6'9" frame well, built to be a star.  I had thought he was a perimeter player based on recruiting sites. 

Kostelac:  As mentioned, it was 2 minutes.  My impression was that he is a Mike Bardo type with a higher upside.  He may get pushed around a little this year, but has the potential to be a pretty decent back to the basket guy.  Again, hard to tell with my sample size.

Cotton:  Jury is out for me.  He played nearly half the game and I didn't notice anything much.  Has good handles, but game one seemed to move pretty fast for him.  Looking at the box, the biggest thing that stands out is 5 TOs.  That'll improve.

Patton:  Ditto.  Though I did like seeing 6 rebounds out of him and 5 out of Cotton. 

Duvivier:  Kid looks like he's chiseled out of stone.  That dunk made my wife and I stand up from our couch and yell.  Seemed to come out of nowhere.  Must be those increases in vertical leap that everyone was talking about.  3/12 shooting leaves much to be desired, but he had 5 of the team's 7 (yuck) assists, and just 2 TOs in 35 minutes.  Sucks he's only around 1 year.

Other observations:

Poke disappointed me.  We'll need some production from him to have success in conference this year.  Every day that goes by, he reminds me more of Quade Milum.  I would bet as the season goes by, we some quality connections between him and Duvivier for some "Wow" alley-oops.

Utomi could potentially average a double-double this year with this team's rebounding technique/focus.  Potential All-MAC guy and probably the key to this year along with Jimond.

Ivey...seemed to be pressing a little and into "hero ball" for a few possessions.  Guy probably is one of the most skilled on the team overall.  We probably won't see another game where he shoots 3/14, and most certainly not one where we win.  I'm thankful he stayed at UA.  Fiery guy that loves the game.  He'll develop that trust in his teammates.

I have to remind myself that this team returns 3 guys that contributed at all last year.  They're talented, and I hope the staff can bring them all together.  I liked what I saw in the 2nd half.  The conference is down this year, so 20 wins isn't out of the question.

I think Jimond had a tough game because he is playing in a new system.  Remember, Jimond had great games when teams would double team big dog in the post.  Big Dog would pass out of the double team and this would create easy baskets for Jimond.  We always played inside out and Jimond benefitted from having a dominent post player.  When Big Dog got the ball all eyes were on him and it created opportunities for everyone else.  In the new system, Jimond had to create his own shot and he seemed to be pressing.  Jimond and Poke never seemed to get into an offensive flow whereas Utomi had a great game.  I expect that these 2 veterans will pick up their offense once they get used to the new system.

39 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I think Jimond had a tough game because he is playing in a new system.  Remember, Jimond had great games when teams would double team big dog in the post.  Big Dog would pass out of the double team and this would create easy baskets for Jimond.  We always played inside out and Jimond benefitted from having a dominent post player.  When Big Dog got the ball all eyes were on him and it created opportunities for everyone else.  In the new system, Jimond had to create his own shot and he seemed to be pressing.  Jimond and Poke never seemed to get into an offensive flow whereas Utomi had a great game.  I expect that these 2 veterans will pick up their offense once they get used to the new system.

This is a great point. Jimond did benefit a lot from moving without the ball while it was in the post last season.

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

This is a great point. Jimond did benefit a lot from moving without the ball while it was in the post last season.

Off the ball movement is also something that comes easier with better team chemistry. As this team grows together, they'll know who and when certain players will make cuts, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Jimond had great games when teams would double team big dog in the post.  Big Dog would pass out of the double team and this would create easy baskets for Jimond. 

Isaiah averaged 2.9 assists per game last year. 1.6 the year before. 

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

Isaiah averaged 2.9 assists per game last year.

I can only find stats ranking the top 250 in APG, but I'd be willing to bet that is #1 or close to it in the nation among centers. No centers were listed in the top 250 which bottomed out at 3.5apg.

• Like 1

I am not on the Parrish/Diggs bandwagon. Diggs was a whirling dervish, and Parrish is a cool cucumber. I'm as bullish on his potential as any Zip I've seen in some time. His defense needs work, but that will come. Offensively, he's beyond his years.

Kostelac had a nice block. We'll need him as we face bigger front courts. Looking forward to his minutes increasing as the season progresses.

Cotton needs some adjustment time to D-1 hoops. But I like his flair. I look for him to make a big jump from game 1 to game 2. Love his free throw stroke. 

Duvivier's dunk is a Top 5 JAR all-timer. I liked his comments after the game when French and Dunn were gushing over it. Loosely quoted - "That was my 'welcome to Akron' dunk. I'll have a couple more of those this year." He reminds me of a shorter Gary Trent. 

liked that Groce ran some inbound plays rather that just tossing the ball in to the tallest Zip. 

Looks like a loveable team that we can rally around and watch grow. My family enjoyed watching game 1 of the Groce era!

• Thanks 1