Game 1—Cleveland State

zippyfan34

My immediate (over)reactions to the game:

1. Great comeback win to start the Groce era. It is easy to give up when things don't go well and that first half was brutal.

2. I am amazed that Kostelac only played 2 minutes. As the only true center on the team, I expected him to be on the floor for the majority of the game. I don't know if it was just the matchup, or if JG is committed to playing small ball all year. 

3. I was really impressed by Parrish. He performed like a much older player, calm and collected at all times. He also showed that he has a really well rounded set of skills that make him a threat in multiple ways when he is on the court. 

4. On the flip side, I was thoroughly unimpressed by Cotton. He seemed to rush everything and made way too many mistakes. Hopefully, he can find the flow of the game better in time. 

5.  Ivey had a pretty bad game by his standards. It looked like he knows that he is the "star" of the team the year and he pressed a little too much. Once Utomi and Parrish got going, I think that took a bit of the self-imposed pressure off of Ivey and he played a bit better. 

Cotton's play didn't bother me too much. Running point in your first game as a true fresh probably isn't easy for anyone. Kostelac and his lack of minutes stuck to me as well, and I agree re: Ivey. Wasn't his best game, but did seem to settle after he was yanked early in the 2nd half. I really, REALLY liked our FT shooting as team. That's a more than refreshing change if we can keep that up.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

The ONE game in my 15 years of Zips fanhood when I actually didn't know the players' names, they decided not to have their names on their jerseys!!! :mad_flame:
Back to being serious, RIP in coach Peters. It is nice to still see him remembered considering all the changes this year.

Here are my game observations:

1 - If I had to choose between a big lead in the first chocked away in the second and a big hole in the first with adjustments in the second, I will always pick the latter.

2 - Free throws can win you or cost you a game. It is nice to be on this side of the fence.

3 - I hope someone can talk to Ivey and convince him that he is only one of 10 players in the rotation and that he should just relax and play his game.

4 - Parish was statistically the best freshman on the team but I am really intrigued with having Sayles in the paint. You will not see it in the box score but he totally had the Zeke effect when he was on the court. (BTW: The Zeke effect is when players on the other team are scared to go in the paint because there is a good chance their shot/layup will be blocked).

5 - I felt that Utomi and Ivey took too many 3 pointers (sometimes too early in the shot clock). I am hoping to see less and less of that.

I did not have very high expectations for this team before the game and I still do not see them beating quality opponents. However, I very much enjoyed watching the game (the second half more than the first) and I am looking forward to seeing the development of this young team.   

• Like 1

I did not make the game tonight and watched the replay.  Great replay but everytime there was a commercial it reset to the beginning of the game so it was a little anoying but the picture was great so no complaints.  I really liked Duvivier.  He had a terrible 1st half but played very well in the second half.  He looks like a guard who can control the ball without turnovers.  He missed a lot of open 3 balls but if he improves his shooting he will be tough.  Loved his dunk.  Cannot remember the last time a zips guard drove to the basket and dunked the ball over a defender.   Eric Parish looked great and would not be surprised if he makes his way into the starting lineup.  

I was surprised that Poke did not set up in the post.  We did not have anybody playing with their back to the basket except for Kostelac who was only in for 2 minutes.  We are definately more athletic than in the past.  Utomi needs to keep his man in front of him.  Got beat off the dribble several times.  However, he saved us offensively.  We do not have many strong opponents this month so it will be interesting to see how this team progresses.  I think everyone agrees that the foul shooting was amazing.  Go Zips!! 

Love seeing a win last night!  During the first half the "this is going to be a rough year".  Second half they settled down and chipped away/wore CSU down to win by 10.  Nice way to start the year for sure.

Its a struggle for me to read through the comments, I don't know ANY of the new guys yet (which is like the whole team)!  Hopefully we can build off the success.

In other news:  Good day for the MAC, all teams are 1-0 except Ball State and NIU (who did not play).

Overall Gameplay Observations

• The first half, as I was hoping, seemed to be simply nerves.
  • It's incredibly nice to see adjustments coming out of halftime, especially adjustments that lead to wins.
  • The 2nd half was more what I expected from a Groce-coached team. Higher energy, solid defense, ball movement, and crash-the-boards rebounding.
  • Speaking of rebounding, I don't think I've seen more than 1-2 guys go for offensive rebounds in 4+ years; what a novel idea. 
  • As previously mentioned, it's nice to be on the good side of the fence regarding free throws winning/losing games; I hope this remains to be a common theme.
  • Too many 3s in the first half, but again, I attribute the number of attempts to the nerves.
  • I think physically we will be able to match up with just about anyone. Mentally and experience wise, we'll see. But if we can keep games close against tougher opponents, I think we'll be able to steal one or two with our speed, hustle, and tenacity. 

Player Observations

• Sayles is already my favorite freshman from a potential aspect. At 6'9", 235 lbs (again, AS A FRESHMAN), he's going to be a force for years to come as he hopefully develops.
  • Parrish had a very solid game for any level of player, especially a freshman. He led the charge in the 2nd half when it came to crashing the boards, and jumped the passing lane nicely for a breakaway steal that helped set the tone defensively. He also put together a technically-sound offensive game.
  • Duvivier has boulders for shoulders, and is gonna be a force as the team chemistry grows. He does need to quit playing around so much with the ball; too much senseless dribbling.
  • Utomi is going to be very, very key this year. He really spreads the floor and creates match-up problems with his size. I said last year that Dambrot's biggest mistake was not finding a way to get him into the game more.
  • Ivey looked like he thought he had to carry the team. I think as time goes on he'll learn he just needs to be a leader in anyway he can. He does bring a lot of energy to the court, though.
  • Poke is still developing, but it seemed like he found his role in the 2nd half: stand near the paint and block shots from the weak side help position. It looks like he also might be the hack-a-poke-o-stick at the end of games. 
  • Didn't really notice as much from Patton. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
  • I liked Cotton's game. I know he had some rookie mistakes, but he makes nice, crisp passes and seems to play with a good head on his shoulders. Looks like he could continue to develop into a nice floor general.
  • Kostelac was disappointing. It looked like the game was too fast for him. I hope that changes, because we could use his size.
  • Does anybody know if Gdadebo is going to see much playing time this year, or is he more of a walk-on type?

I'm really excited for this season. Go Zips!

11 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I did not make the game tonight and watched the replay.  Great replay but everytime there was a commercial it reset to the beginning of the game so it was a little anoying but the picture was great so no complaints.  I really liked Duvivier.  He had a terrible 1st half but played very well in the second half.  He looks like a guard who can control the ball without turnovers.  He missed a lot of open 3 balls but if he improves his shooting he will be tough.  Loved his dunk.  Cannot remember the last time a zips guard drove to the basket and dunked the ball over a defender.   Eric Parish looked great and would not be surprised if he makes his way into the starting lineup.  

I was surprised that Poke did not set up in the post.  We did not have anybody playing with their back to the basket except for Kostelac who was only in for 2 minutes.  We are definately more athletic than in the past.  Utomi needs to keep his man in front of him.  Got beat off the dribble several times.  However, he saved us offensively.  We do not have many strong opponents this month so it will be interesting to see how this team progresses.  I think everyone agrees that the foul shooting was amazing.  Go Zips!! 

Groce's teams typically have their bigs come out for the high pick and roll.  You won't see many coach D "Inside outside" sets moving forward. 

Loved Parrish's game last night. 

20 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Overall Gameplay Observations

Player Observations

• Kostelac was disappointing. It looked like the game was too fast for him. I hope that changes, because we could use his size.
  • Does anybody know if Gdadebo is going to see much playing time this year, or is he more of a walk-on type?

I'm really excited for this season. Go Zips!

CSU played a small lineup and Kostelac didn't match up well. He will get plenty of playing time.

Gdadebo is a walk-on.  Doubtfull he will see much PT.

Edited by Hilltopper

Really appreciate all the analysis.   For me, it was like a fresh start.  I didn't have the expectations and angst that came with the last few seasons.   Even when these guys were looking down and out there wasn't any panic, jawing, whining, finger-pointing.   There were some crazy 3s and a few turnovers that everyone in the gym saw coming and a few questionable plays (Jimond in final minutes shooting a 3 early in the clock when we were up by 10 or so).  But Groce and his staff seem to handle it well.   He called that long time out at the end and settled everyone down.  

16 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I did not make the game tonight and watched the replay.  Great replay but everytime there was a commercial it reset to the beginning of the game so it was a little anoying but the picture was great so no complaints.

If you have a link for the stream replay, please share it!  Would like to see all the newbies.