Secret Scrimmage today vs Detroit

JordanH

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I think it's probably even a testament to our recent success that people are actually calling a 10-15 win season a "horrible season".  

Nope. 10 wins is a horrible by pretty much anyone but Dan Hipsher's post-Crawford standards.

I'll expect .500 basketball, and hope for better.

13 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Nope. 10 wins is a horrible by pretty much anyone but Dan Hipsher's post-Crawford standards.

If you would have put the rest of my quote in there, you would have shared the fact that I indicated that this is not acceptable in Akron.  So, you obviously fit the mold.  

Even Crawford himself would have been happy with a 10-15 win season, considering that he never won more than 8 games in any of the 3 seasons he coached during our MAC era.    I'll say that this year's Miami team will probably be one that will be happy to hit that mark also.

By the way, did anyone see that one of the MAC coaches or writers actually picked Miami to win the Tournament?  Miami's own coach?   If so, I hope he entered it as a secret ballot to save embarrassment.  

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I sure hope you're right, but I don't think they have the horses.  Roster was too decimated and the reinforcements won't arrive until next season.

33 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think this is about right. 

For comparison, John Groce went 15-17 (7-9 in the MAC) in his first year at OU. He had 11 players ON THE ROSTER that year, and I think only 9 could play (2 redshirts/transfers). The MAC that year was deeper than it is now, with all of the East Division - minus OU - finishing at 10-6 or better in the MAC. The following year Groce lost 6 players from the previous season, with the class of Baltic/Cooper/Horne/Keely/Kinney replacing them. They proceeded to go 22-15 (7-9 in the MAC), oh yeah, and they advanced to the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament after knocking off Georgetown.

Akron has 12 players on the roster that can play, 15 total. Now, it's a very young team, but that doesn't change who the coach is. I'm expecting around 15-17 wins, and am optimistic we could possibly sneak into the 20s. I don't consider the MAC to be as deep or as strong as it was back then. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

:laugh_up:

I suppose you won't be one of the thousands who are organizing to "scream at the sky" on the anniversary of Trump's victory.  

I never have screamed at the sky, nor will I but I have banged my head to this live. . .

I imagine you are probably in the same boat as me, Skip. :rock:

Dez is an entertaining front man, don’t you think?

24 minutes ago, K92 said:

I never have screamed at the sky, nor will I but I have banged my head to this live. . .

I imagine you are probably in the same boat as me, Skip. :rock:

Dez is an entertaining front man, don’t you think?

I am an old 80's headbanger.   

I'm sure this means we both miss when we used to play Enter Sandman for the basketball player introductions.   

Just now, skip-zip said:

I am an old 80's headbanger.   

I'm sure this means we both miss when we used to play Enter Sandman for the basketball player introductions.   

I’m not a Metallica fan so I like “Welcome to the Jungle” much better as the introduction song.  Either is fine though.  Just being a smart ass to someone who I know won’t get all crybaby pissypants about it. :wave:

1 minute ago, K92 said:

I’m not a Metallica fan so I like “Welcome to the Jungle” much better as the introduction song.  Either is fine though.  Just being a smart ass to someone who I know won’t get all crybaby pissypants about it. :wave:

Actually, I was never much of a Metallica fan either.  I just thought it was a good intro song.  

You didn't make me pee my pants.  :lol:  

A .500 season would be quite an accomplishment for groceries  he has only 1 player with much Mac game experience, 4 players who have not played above high school,and very little depth.  I think some of you are picking us on past reputation.  Hope for the best , but prepare for the worst

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zipnetter55 said:

A .500 season would be quite an accomplishment for groceries  he has only 1 player with much Mac game experience, 4 players who have not played above high school,and very little depth.  I think some of you are picking us on past reputation.  Hope for the best , but prepare for the worst

Is Groceries the official nickname?

I hope you are all well.

I certainly have much to be thankful for these days. 

After seeing just a bit of practice, I'm now also thankful that my friends and fellow Zips hoops fans won't be disappointed by the upcoming season. It's been some time since I could say that about ZN.O.

B)B)B)

Go Zips!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Zip Watcher said:

I hope you are all well.

After seeing just a bit of practice, I'm now also thankful that my friends and fellow Zips hoops fans won't be disappointed by the upcoming season. It's been some time since I could say that about ZN.O.

B)B)B)

Go Zips!

Are there any official nicknames we need to be made aware of?  ?

2 hours ago, Zip Watcher said:

I hope you are all well.

B)B)B)

Go Zips!

What led you to that conclusion?  

On 11/4/2017 at 12:25 PM, Zip Watcher said:

I hope you are all well.

B)B)B)

Go Zips!

Can you elaborate?  Even player-by-player?  What'd you see?  We have ZERO media coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I gotta say I can't think of a better nickname than "Groceries" for this team considering how many players he had to go out and shop for to fill this roster. Start making the signs! :D 

We've somehow got to get ACME involved with this, don't we?  This could be be a great marketing ploy.

• Haha 1