And the CFP Rigging Begins!

Balsy

Ohio State, which LOST to Oklahoma earlier this year, is now officially team #4 on the first committee rankings of the year.  They haven't beaten anyone worth a damn outside Penn State, who they were lucky to beat late.  Oklahoma, which CRUSHED them ON THE ROAD, is ranked BEHIND OSU; who's only loss is to Iowa State...a team that has proven itself to be better than the majority of the teams that OSU has played this year.

I joked with my dad before the game with Penn State:  "You know that if #6 OSU beats #2 PSU, they'll use that as justification for moving OSU into the top 4, while not using #8 Oklahoma having beaten #2 OSU as a justification for being in the top-4"

And sure enough...they did.

Let the mental gymnastics begin as everyone desperately tries to justify what teams deserve to be in the CFB over others!

7 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Ohio State, which LOST to Oklahoma earlier this year, is now officially team #4 on the first committee rankings of the year.  They haven't beaten anyone worth a damn outside Penn State, who they were lucky to beat late.  Oklahoma, which CRUSHED them ON THE ROAD, is ranked BEHIND OSU; who's only loss is to Iowa State...a team that has proven itself to be better than the majority of the teams that OSU has played this year.

I joked with my dad before the game with Penn State:  "You know that if #6 OSU beats #2 PSU, they'll use that as justification for moving OSU into the top 4, while not using #8 Oklahoma having beaten #2 OSU as a justification for being in the top-4"

And sure enough...they did.

Let the mental gymnastics begin as everyone desperately tries to justify what teams deserve to be in the CFB over others!

You know that is just....a prediction....right? I don't really know how you can argue with it too much if it does end up being the case though. They have a great win over PSU and a "great" loss.

Balsy, We find something we can agree on.

Since the Big 12 now has a championship game, they can't use the 2014 "championship game winner" justification anymore.  Yet, they selected them 2 years later when they couldn't even GET INTO their league's title game.....and faced the embarrassment of watching them get annihilated 31-0 in the Semifinal.  

It doesn't matter.  They want all of the honks flying all over the country to spend money at the games, and will do whatever possible to make it happen.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

This thread is great now that OSU is 6th

It doesn't matter where they are right now.  They mysteriously moved them up 2 or 3 spots in 2014 during the final poll, even when all of the teams ahead of them won quite easily in their final games.  

They will move them when they start getting nervous about their projected CFP revenue numbers.  

30 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It doesn't matter where they are right now.  They mysteriously moved them up 2 or 3 spots in 2014 during the final poll, even when all of the teams ahead of them won quite easily in their final games.  

They will move them when they start getting nervous about their projected CFP revenue numbers.  

I bet

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

She's a first class lady, and actually a very big sports fan.  But heck, doesn't that qualify any of us to be on the committee too ?  

It should be determined by a computer.  Why is there not a committee to determine which Ohio High Schools make the playoffs?  Because everyone knows that would be some ridiculous political bullsh!t, that's why.

18 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Forget where I read it, but I read somewhere that the BCS would have put the same exact teams in the playoff most, or every year so far.

I think they've done a great job. Numbers can lie - see the MVC RPI in previous years.. So far the only real complain I've seen here is OSU getting in in 2014, and they won the whole damn thing, so I don't think that could possibly be labeled a mistake. Also I feel dirty sticking up for OSU 

Here's the problem with the committee. . .

These people are soooooooooo smart.  They are looking at every possible piece of information to determine the 4 best teams to be in the playoff.  Crunching numbers.  Analyzing data.  Almost like a, a, a, a computer.  These people who are sooooooooooo smart could put their heads together and input all of their metrics into a computer program and it would be settled.

But then we wouldn't have the weekly self aggrandizing, made-for-tv-drama circle jerk.

Oh.  We wouldn't have any wiggle room either.

Maybe we should just name Condi the College Football Playoff Czar and let her decide in whatever manner she chooses.

condi-rice.jpeg

Edited by K92

31 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Also I feel dirty sticking up for OSU 

:lol:

But seriously, there's probably at least 10 teams every year that are capable of winning 2 games in January.  Probably more.  So, looking back in hindsight and seeing who actually won the games doesn't change anything in terms of making sure that the 4 most deserving teams are the ones that get to play.    

Actually, I even cringed when I said "most deserving", because we all know what happens with a group of people in a room.  Some will have more knowledge than others.  Some will be able to exert more power over others.  And some will have motives that nobody else would be able to easily detect. 

For those who spend time in board rooms and meeting rooms way too often, you know what I mean.   

And I actually laughed hysterically when the chair of this committee tried to demonstrate their integrity by saying that the Suckeye Athletic Director (yes, he's on the committee) leaves the room when they are talking about them.  So, I feel very reassured that he's not influencing any of those people when it comes to the school that pays his bills, and will stand to make a lot more money with a playoff appearance vs. no playoff appearance.  :lol:

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, K92 said:

Maybe we should just name Condi the College Football Playoff Czar and let her decide in whatever manner she chooses.

I love Condi.  But, lets say she was in a room of people trying to decide if the Browns should be put in the playoffs.  Would you trust her to be completely objective?

Oh wait....that's right...they can just ask her to leave the room for a few minutes.  That would ensure that she has no influence on them.  :lol:

27 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Skip you claim to be on boards right - conflicts of interest happen and that's how they're handled. 

No, that's how you officially make it look like impartiality.  

And I never claimed that the committee is giving in to everything Smith says.  Nothing remotely close to that would even be necessary to have influence.  

The real problem is there is there is 130 teams competing for 4 playoff spots. All having unbalanced schedules. There will always be people complaining about something in said system. 

Edit: I don't feel its a perfect system but I feel it would be an upgrade if they expanded to 8 teams with the 5 P5 conference winners getting an auto-bid, the top ranked G5, and 2 wildcards.

Edited by kreed5120

26 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Skip you claim to be on boards right - conflicts of interest happen and that's how they're handled. I doubt everyone in there is giving in to everything the OSU AD says.

Some things you can be sure of:

In a dead heat/flip a coin scenario for the 4th and final spot where the following pairs would be considered:

Ohio State vs. Oklahoma State

Notre Dame vs. TCU

Alabama vs. Miami

The first team listed in each of these pairs will be picked every time by a committee of humans.  You can take that to the bank.  A computer would not care about the politics of the matter.  The team that was .000001 better would be in.  That might mean Miami and their horrific fan base would be represented over Alabama and their mighty fan base, etc.  That just can't happen.  Too many dollars involved.

• Like 1