Miami vs. OU - Tonight @ 8pm on ESPN2

Captain Kangaroo

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Well, as this Miami loss seem imminent, they are virtually eliminated from the race.

So now the path becomes clear:

Miami Game - Doesn't matter.

OU - Win

Kent - Win

MAC East Champs

Your right but I do disagree in one since, win next week against Miami & it does matter.  Ohio has Toledo a probable loss, Akron & Buffalo at Buffalo & they could lose that & we still win East losing to Ohio

Miami seems right there with Buffalo talent wise. Some nice players. A good WR in Garner and a few QBs that can play. I don't know much about Ragland's injury, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back against us. Just seems like thats how it goes at Akron. I think they might be down 2 starting LBs vs us. One got hurt and left early in the game, I don't think he came back. And then the ejection late in the game. I would imagine he will be at least suspended for the 1st half.

OU looks about the same as they do every year. Them getting Rourke really saved their season IMO.

We can beat both but need to play well.

Edited by LZIp

going to really need to the LBs to play well to keep Rourke in check. Miami's backside LB's got caught over-persuing time and time again. Rourke just cut back underneath and there was no one there. Have to trust that your edge is set and the playside LB is doing his job; not try to do more than your job in holding the backside cutback. We have to make them one dimensional and force Rourke to try to beat us with the pass. 

Just my 2 cents

@LZIp I was thinking the same thing about the Miami LBs. They will most likely be down 2 of their starters like you mentioned. Zips should be able to get the ground game going.

59 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Your right but I do disagree in one since, win next week against Miami & it does matter.  Ohio has Toledo a probable loss, Akron & Buffalo at Buffalo & they could lose that & we still win East losing to Ohio

Yes, there is a scenario where we can lose to OU, and still win the conference.  But I felt that OU beating us, but losing their other two remaining games was pretty improbable, so I didn't include that.  And our remaining games would become Must Win games for that scenario also.

Instead of getting a few people all excited by saying that Miami doesn't matter, lets put it this way....

Beat OU

Win EITHER of the other 2 remaining games.

MAC East Champs!!!

That's the only clear route without relying on other teams to lose games. 

This is why I've been saying that a Miami loss helped us last night.  If Miami had won, we would have likely needed victories over BOTH Miami and OU to win the East.  

Edited by skip-zip

35 minutes ago, CDMac said:

going to really need to the LBs to play well to keep Rourke in check. Miami's backside LB's got caught over-persuing time and time again. Rourke just cut back underneath and there was no one there. Have to trust that your edge is set and the playside LB is doing his job; not try to do more than your job in holding the backside cutback. We have to make them one dimensional and force Rourke to try to beat us with the pass. 

Just my 2 cents

@LZIp I was thinking the same thing about the Miami LBs. They will most likely be down 2 of their starters like you mentioned. Zips should be able to get the ground game going.

That was something that struck me, to, but we have the personnel to do it.

But, Olouette (sp?) Is a worthy back who saw few looks last night. They will use him more against us.

10 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Which means that they both suck defensively?   This is why you see them as unbeatable?

I guess Miami is a toss up. But I see Ohio as a loss.

The Bobcats average over 40 a game and the Zips are around 20. Unless the OC lets Woodson throw, I don't see how we can keep up. Especially with zero run game.

Edited by akzipper

22 minutes ago, akzipper said:

The Bobcats average over 40 a game and the Zips are around 20. Unless the OC lets Woodson throw, I don't see how we can keep up. Especially with zero run game.

I responded that way because I was watching a game where I see an unbeatable label being put on teams because they were scoring 8 combined touchdowns in a half.  The problem was, they were both giving up a lot of touchdowns too.  

48 minutes ago, akzipper said:

That’s the point I was kinda making, we have to beat Miami, not trying to pick @skip-zip but it does matter, I think we can beat Ohio but I think our odds are better that we beat Miami & Kent & Buffalo pulls the upset in Buffalo over Ohio (maybe weather like we had last year)

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

I think we saw Woody throw last week. 21/29 and Bowden said one of the best of Woddy's career. I think we will see more passing but Sands did give us another dimmension. I think keeping up requires us to run to use up the clock. However, their DBs are not terribly tall and Wolfe and Woodson could have a good night, too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

That’s the point I was kinda making, we have to beat Miami, not trying to pick @skip-zip but it does matter, I think we can beat Ohio but I think our odds are better that we beat Miami & Kent & Buffalo pulls the upset in Buffalo over Ohio (maybe weather like we had last year)

No, that's OK.  That's definitely another scenario that could work.  And I agree that Miami is the more winnable game, even though it's on the road. 

But, I am not yet at the point where I want to hope for 2 other OU losses as any kind of logical scenario to get us the MAC East title.  

I gave you a scenario that does NOT need help from anyone else, and does NOT even require us to win all of our remaining games.  So no, I would not agree that our better odds are to beat Miami on the road, lose to OU, and hope for 2 other OU losses.  

28 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

No, that's OK.  That's definitely another scenario that could work.  And I agree that Miami is the more winnable game, even though it's on the road. 

But, I am not yet at the point where I want to hope for 2 other OU losses as any kind of logical scenario to get us the MAC East title.  

I gave you a scenario that does NOT need help from anyone else, and does NOT even require us to win all of our remaining games.  So no, I would not agree that our better odds are to beat Miami on the road, lose to OU, and hope for 2 other OU losses.  

I ?% agree, you want to control your own destiny, I just have 1 major problem with your statement that the Miami game doesn’t matter when it absolutely does

34 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I ?% agree, you want to control your own destiny, I just have 1 major problem with your statement that the Miami game doesn’t matter when it absolutely does

I still don't get why this is a "major problem" in our path to the title.   Miami pretty much completely eliminated themselves after last night's loss (their 3rd loss).  We won't even need to own a tiebreaker against them.   They have no way to win the title now unless some really crazy things happen.   And we don't need 3 wins to clinch.  

I think anyone would feel much more confident in beating Kent at home as the other victory we need to clinch the title.  

20 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I still don't get why this is a "major problem" in our path to the title.   Miami pretty much completely eliminated themselves after last night's loss (their 3rd loss).  We won't even need to own a tiebreaker against them.   They have no way to win the title now unless some really crazy things happen.   And we don't need 3 wins to clinch.  

I think anyone would feel much more confident in beating Kent at home as the other victory we need to clinch the title.  

I guess you never played or coached, I know it’s a cliche but the most important game on our schedule right now is Miami period, on top of that if we lose to Ohio we are out if we lose to Miami, again I think that makes the Miami game important, we beat Miami no matter the outcome of the Ohio game we are still alive, I think common sense would say that it matters, next scenario win Miami & Ohio do you rest some crucial players & get some good experience for players against Kent so if needed in a Championship game because of injury, that could prove very beneficial, Miami game as of right now is the most important game of the season for many reasons

Edited by 94zipgrad

One of the things that stood out to me regarding Miami was their aggressive offensive play calling. They have no fear of putting the ball in the air when they're pinned deep in their own territory. They're tough to defend. Good balance of the run and pass. I can't believe they lost to Kent.

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I guess you never played or coached

Both

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

next scenario win Miami & Ohio do you rest some crucial players & get some good experience for players against Kent

This part is true.  We'd clinch a week earlier if we beat Miami and OU, instead of OU and Kent.