Game 10—Zips @ Red Hawks

Captain Kangaroo

Woodson out Sands and Council out early. Who really thought we were going to win at this point?

Kato is OK but Ramart is going to give him serious competition. Our receivers were underwhelming tonight, except for Smith and Chapman's TD catch.

K. Brown did a nice job tonight. He got beat a couple of times but he beat them more often. Featherstone has stepped up his game and is making an impact.

Nice job at the end of the game by Trevor Brown in running interference between Nelson and Miami defender to keep Nelson from picking up a penalty. 

• Like 2

Just watched the rest of the game. Kato is going to be a pretty good MAC QB. He needs to adjust and realize he's playing against D-1 players now, not 2A high school guys. Too often he made a guy miss, and just kept trying to make more miss, instead of looking downfield or just throwing it away. Led to way too many sacks. I don't think he made many bad throws or dumb throws. And it doesn't help he has no run game to help him out. The defense just can't stop the run. Sucks, but unless I'm wrong it's meaningless. Beat OU and Kent and take your chances in Detroit. 

Just now, Buckzip said:

Read posts above yours. There are excuses for losing to a 3-6 team. 

I’m tired of excuses.  The man said he was gonna do some winnin’ and when he said winnin’ he meant WINNIN’!  I’ve been waitin’ and when I say waitin’ I mean WAITIN’!  Whoever wants to be a guy who just fell off the turnip wagon and think that Bowden is the answer, be my guest.  I don’t care if we beat Ohio and Kent by 50.  I still want him gone because he is never going to get us to where I want to be.  I want to be a winner not some loser who accepts mediocrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Im sorry but I am not sold on Kato. Yes he is a breath of fresh air but to me he struggles to see the field. Too much of a pause even when he does throw the ball down the field. 

At times he was looking like JT Barrett vs Iowa minus all the dancing. You may can get way with staring down receivers against a 3-6 team............

9 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Im sorry but I am not sold on Kato. Yes he is a breath of fresh air but to me he struggles to see the field. Too much of a pause even when he does throw the ball down the field. 

At times he was looking like JT Barrett vs Iowa minus all the dancing. You may can get way with staring down receivers against a 3-6 team............

He's obviously not there yet. But I think he'll be fine after another offseason. This was good experience for him. Tommy let the team down, whatever the heck he did

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

He's obviously not there yet. But I think he'll be fine after another offseason. This was good experience for him. Tommy let the team down, whatever the heck he did

There is definitely a lot of potential there. 

Sucks that he got thrown to the wolves tonight due to the actions of an immature senior 

• Like 1

1) I would have at least liked to have seen what the offense could have done if Kato would have saved us from the big yardage losses by throwing the ball away.  

2) The long ball threat just isn't there without Tommy on the field.  And this offense badly needs the chances at big plays.  

3) But Miami still won this game because we can't tackle.  With 400+ yards and over 5 yards per carry on the ground.  

4) We got 2 int's.  I guess our luck just ran out on getting enough breaks to win another conference game.  Maybe the Football Gods already gave us our allotment for this year.   

5) But for God's sake, OU is not an unwinnable game.  We lost to those guys by 3 last year on the road with a very patched-together team.  It's the damn MAC East, people.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Woodson out Sands and Council out early. Who really thought we were going to win at this point?

Kato is OK but Ramart is going to give him serious competition. Our receivers were underwhelming tonight, except for Smith and Chapman's TD catch.

K. Brown did a nice job tonight. He got beat a couple of times but he beat them more often. Featherstone has stepped up his game and is making an impact.

Nice job at the end of the game by Trevor Brown in running interference between Nelson and Miami defender to keep Nelson from picking up a penalty. 

We lost because we were out a QB averaging 193 passing yards a game.... a running back with 1 previous start and 25 carries on the season and a freshman offensive lineman that was still allowing our QB to get harassed while he was in the game. Oh... and we were losing when he went out. Got it. Let the Terry excuse train rumble down the tracks. 

Edited by Zipgrad01

15 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

We lost because we were out a QB averaging 193 passing yards a game.... a running back with 1 previous start and 25 carries on the season and a freshman offensive lineman that was still allowing our QB to get harassed while he was in the game. Oh... and we were losing when he went out. Got it. Let the Terry excuse train rumble down the tracks. 

...and we smelt you coming down the hallway.

Kato has a shot at being a very wood MAC QB. He’s a freshman and he will get better. The potential is there. With the always porous OL Akron has it is nice to have a QB with wheels. He does need to learn that this isn’t high school and you can’t outrun every defender on the field though. Not sure it matters who the QB is though when the WR can’t catch. 

23 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Get ready everyone, ZNO is about to become a 4-month :puke:fest.

I was saying that 94 must have been tipped off about Woodson.

If you're anticipating a 4-month barf fest, why don't you just compose your 14th farewell post and leave for a while?

Edited by K92
  • Haha 1

This game reminded me of the movie Groundhog Day.  Last year we needed one game to become bowl eligable and we played our first week night game at Buffalo who had a very losing record.  The defense could not stop the Bulls and the offense sputtered.   I thought that Miami ran the same misdirection play with the receiver in motion and a handoff to the back at least 10 times and gaimed positive yardage every play.  I am hoping that the Zips can get Woodson back next week and win the big one against Ohio.  Does anyone know about the injury to Sands and whether Woodson will play next week?   (I just read the Beacon story that told me relatively nothing)  

Like I said during the game thread, this team is just painful to watch. I am not sure exactly what it is. On defense you know they are slow and rarely will get the guy attempting to turn the corner going wide. You also know the opposing QB will have plenty of time to throw the ball. On the rare times that they actually have a guy bottled up, you know they will miss the tackle.  On offense we have no game breaker. There is not one guy on this team that you keep hoping gets the ball in their hands because they have the ability to score every time they touch the ball. The offense is boring, not creative and lacks a single playmaker. 

It's a combination of things with this team. Hell, even if we are close and have a shot at a chip shot winning FG at the end of a game, there is no confidence it will be made. 

I watch because I am a lifelong Akron fan and an alum. But if I was just a college football fan that watched whenever football was on, there is no way I could watch more than 1/4 of an Akron game. It is just bad,  poorly coached football.  It often looks as if the team is even bored while playing. Very little enthusiasm shown by the team. 

Edited by Buckzip
  • Like 2

I have no idea what happened to Woodson on the off weekend, but I'm guessing this type of lack of discipline is why he was not voted as a team Captain by the players. Not sure why O'Leary wasn't kicking. The TV crew (if that's what you'd want to call them) said he missed some kicks so Bowden pulled him or something, but wasn't this kid on the all MAC preseason list with a 48 yarder to his credit this year? I'm pretty sure he would have made the kick that Gasser blew wide. Terrible game to watch with the announcement about Woodson at the start and Sands going down on his second carry. I think we could have all turned the TV off with 5 minutes into the 1st quarter and saved some grief. I didn't listed to the radio, but I'm sure French was disgusted. He always reminded me of Oliver Hardy when things go bad for the Zips. 

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 2

I, for one, am jealous of Miami's offense.  They could pick up between 6 and 15 yards on our defense at will.  It was nothing fancy either, some slants, a little motion in the back field, some misdirection.  Meanwhile, our backs try the good ol' fashioned vanilla between-the-tackles for 1/2 yard.  An incomplete pass later, we were constantly staring at 3rd and 7-8-9.  I just miss the Frye/Getsy days where it seemed our offense had a few drops of creativity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckzip said:

Like I said during the game thread, this team is just painful to watch. I am not sure exactly what it is. On defense you know they are slow and rarely will get the guy attempting to turn the corner going wide. You also know the opposing QB will have plenty of time to throw the ball. On the rare times that they actually have a guy bottled up, you know they will miss the tackle.  On offense we have no game breaker. There is not one guy on this team that you keep hoping gets the ball in their hands because they have the ability to score every time they touch the ball. The offense is boring, not creative and lacks a single playmaker. 

It's a combination of things with this team. Hell, even if we are close and have a shot at a chip shot winning FG at the end of a game, there is no confidence it will be made. 

I watch because I am a lifelong Akron fan and an alum. But if I was just a college football fan that watched whenever football was on, there is no way I could watch more than 1/4 of an Akron game. It is just bad,  poorly coached football.  It often looks as if the team is even bored while playing. Very little enthusiasm shown by the team. 

This pretty much sums it up for me. Looking like 6-6 and that's an apathetic 'meh ...' for me this far into Bowden's tenure. I was hoping for and expecting more than another bowl of potatoes.

• Like 1