Game 10—Zips @ Red Hawks

Captain Kangaroo

4 minutes ago, cjapsu said:

Sorry if this was covered earlier in the thread but do we know if Woodson will be back for OU or Kent?

Officially, he was suspended from last night's game. The wording of "tonight's game", indicates to me that he has a chance to play against OU, but as of right now, no official word. Stay tuned. I would have felt better if he were on the sidelines, but he "did not make the trip" last night. 

Last nights loss really hurts because, I feel we would have won if Woodson played. I also think we needed the positive momentum going into the OU game. Additionally, I was excited to see if Sands could provide a spark to our running game. It all unraveled so quickly. Nevertheless,  just win the next 2 and all is  well.

Edited by feetg10
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Officially, he was suspended from last night's game. The wording of "tonight's game", indicates to me that he has a chance to play against OU, but as of right now, no official word. Stay tuned. I would have felt better if he were on the sidelines, but he "did not make the trip" last night. 

When someone is suspended they normally aren't on the sidelines, even at a home game. 

7 minutes ago, feetg10 said:

Last nights loss really hurts because, I feel we would have won if Woodson played. I also think we needed the positive momentum going into the OU game. Additionally, I was excited to see if Sands could provide a spark to our running game. It all unraveled so quickly. Nevertheless,  just win the next 2 and all is  well.

When you just look at the numbers and didn't know who was suspended and who got hurt you would expect the outcome you got.

Akron: Total yards-273                    Miami: 420

Rush: 55 on 30 atts(1.8)     176 on 34(Young-14-100)

Pass:218 on 19/38/0          244 on 19/32/2

Plays: 68                                66

Pen: 5-57                                4-40

Again,no significant running game. The caveat is the Sands injury ,obviously. And, a sputtering offense,again,the Woodson suspension. Again,a defense that can't stop the run consistently.

Some more 'scratch your head' play calling at times. 

Look,Miami is not very good,period. They played with a hobbled QB but, one who actually wanted to play.  Their defense did just enough to win the game.

Its a shame,again that what happened with the suspension and the injuries happened when they did. This wasn't the fault of Nelson who apparently had little if any prep time. And, its not just the fault of the Sands injury. This team still has a lot of holes on both sides of the ball which get more exposed when these things happen.

Unfortunately,the Zips play a far,far better OU team next week than they faced on last night. Its still possible but next week will have to be the BEST game that these guys have  played and the coaches have coached this season. Damn!

2 hours ago, Buckzip said:

I watch because I am a lifelong Akron fan... But if I was just a college football fan that watched whenever football was on, there is no way I could watch more than 1/4 of an Akron game. It is just bad... football.

+1

I edited out "poorly coached" simply because it's above my pay grade to say a Bowden is a bad coach.  But it's honestly not any fun to watch, that much I know.

I don't even know where to begin with all the garbage from last night. I guess first I'd like to know why Woodson was suspended. It better have been for a damn good reason and it better have come from Bowden and not Milwee. We can't afford to lose winnable games over something stupid. Second, can our OL please block? The majority of the time it seemed like the the defense was in our backfield in 1.5-2.0 seconds. Reminded me of when my son played pee-wee football. Third...can we please catch a break sometime with our RB's? I was excited to see Sands start and him getting injured on his first play was awful.  Now our best two RB's are probably gone for the season and the other two can't or won't step up. Fourth, can we please wrap and tackle? I saw so many missed tackles that I was about to break my television. I feel like, if it comes down to us beating a horrible Kent team just to be Bowl Eligible, the powers that be will overlook us anyway. Okay, I'm done for now because I'm getting very frustrated.

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

1.  Does the coaching staff have any idea what Kato's skill set is?  It appeared to me, a person who does not make a living coaching football, that a good strategy last night might have been quick slants over the middle coupled with a hurry up tempo.  Dunno.  It's been well established that Milkweed is an offensive guru so who am I to judge his gameplan?

2.  Warren Ball has not played since the first half of the BG game and he is still the leading rusher.  Ray Charles can see the lack of a run game is a major roadblock to our success.

3.  What happened to Ulysees?  He is not making much of an impact as of late.  Is he healthy?

4.  Miami had a good enough gameplan last night and executed well enough to win despite a total stiff at QB.  I have not seen a QB this year make as many awful throws as he did last night.  Wowsers.

5.  Overall, it was an excruciating game to watch.  I guess BG @ Buffalo was the same type of deal.  I was texting back & forth with my BG alum uncle during the game last night and he said "nothing like bad football on a Tuesday night.  WIN-WIN."

6.  What are the chances we show up for Ohio?

7.  What are the chances we've seen the last of Woodson?

Have a wonderful day!  

b4bb00618062ec2acece332470a60217--facebo

10937-rainbow.png

Lollipop_Candy_Emoji_grande.png?v=148048

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, K92 said:

It appeared to me, a person who does not make a living coaching football, that a good strategy last night might have been quick slants over the middle coupled with a hurry up tempo.

I agree. I was also yelling at the television and saying...get Booker in there and throw to him!

Edited by blueandgold

26 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

I agree. I was also yelling at the television

I unfortunately was out of town on business, and was alone in a Chili's sitting at the bar watching this game.  I was so excited they had it on when I walked in.  I was in the northern part of Toledo.  No sound from the TV, so I was shocked to see Kato out there.  The first series was like YAY!  Look at him go!  And Sands!  Wow!  Then it all came apart, and I started "yelling" at the TV, until the bartender asked me to stop.  And there were some Toledo Rocket-heads in the bar area and they were just hee hawing with me about how bad we were, and what could I say?  I left at the end of the third period but at least the kids bought me a few drinks because they felt sorry for the"Old Zippy Fan", as they called me....Old....those whipersnappers....like someone (K92?) said earlier this year...GET OFF MY LAWN!

My guess is, we'll never know the truth as to what Thomas did, but we will see him vs. OU.  Maybe Warren can still suit up and have Doc surgically attach the little scooter to his shin bone for the last two games.  And I don't think we win another game of the two left.  Ripe to have this all (whatever that means) fall apart and unravel right before our eyes....just like the four losses at the end of 2016.

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Someone please go read #1’s dad’s comments on the Zips FB page’s post of the result of the game. Please.

Rodat Nelson

" Our best back went down they both are from the same town !! Sands and Kato in the backfield ??‍♂️? , our WR need to stop watching the show and get open it's that simple I'm not a daddy ball dude I speak the real I trained my son he's past first I made him that way his head stays up he reads the defense and takes what's given his mechanics are the best in #CFB hell even some #NFL QBs our OC needs to open his mind and playbook this kid can do #ANYTHING WITH THAT ?Defense or Offense he's a Winner #GodsGotHisFeet? !!! We will soon see I'm sending #Help (.) he needs some WRs that wanna go to the next level ??‍♂️ but as far as QB give him protection he'll pick the #1 NFL team apart the #MAC is super slow fresh off a knee surgery I say we win more than the #MAC next year we build A defense Get some more skills to compete we Got ourselves some #Ring this ? ain't new to my son it's called ? it don't change we do .... and we did #Win if he starts next week and has all the time to get that #Chemistry so we can catch some damn balls ??‍♂️ 2 drop TDs and a missed FG #Mistakes that can be fixed so to me we didn't get the #Victory but we definitely #Won because now the world knows who's on the #Bench ?"

• Like 1

They played like the word on Woodson came down late and they were stuck with a game plan for Woodson with a much different QB trying to execute it.  As a result, they spent the entire night trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  Don't get me wrong, they were still plenty bad on offense, defense and special teams regardless.

32 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Rodat Nelson

" Our best back went down they both are from the same town !! Sands and Kato in the backfield ??‍♂️? , our WR need to stop watching the show and get open it's that simple I'm not a daddy ball dude I speak the real I trained my son he's past first I made him that way his head stays up he reads the defense and takes what's given his mechanics are the best in #CFB hell even some #NFL QBs our OC needs to open his mind and playbook this kid can do #ANYTHING WITH THAT ?Defense or Offense he's a Winner #GodsGotHisFeet? !!! We will soon see I'm sending #Help (.) he needs some WRs that wanna go to the next level ??‍♂️ but as far as QB give him protection he'll pick the #1 NFL team apart the #MAC is super slow fresh off a knee surgery I say we win more than the #MAC next year we build A defense Get some more skills to compete we Got ourselves some #Ring this ? ain't new to my son it's called ? it don't change we do .... and we did #Win if he starts next week and has all the time to get that #Chemistry so we can catch some damn balls ??‍♂️ 2 drop TDs and a missed FG #Mistakes that can be fixed so to me we didn't get the #Victory but we definitely #Won because now the world knows who's on the #Bench ?"

Someone get ESPN on the phone.  I think we just found a new MAC color analyst.

53 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Rodat Nelson

Too bad dad doesn't post here. It would be fun to read how out of touch he is on a regular basis. I think Kato has a bright future, but to attack the team like this is beyond bad. Kato is the type of guy that programs will stay away from because of his dad. We don't need anymore Ball families. 

4 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

This pretty much sums it up for me. Looking like 6-6 and that's an apathetic 'meh ...' for me this far into Bowden's tenure. I was hoping for and expecting more than another bowl of potatoes.

So you think we win another game? I am assuming KSU is the game you are counting on. 

OU will probably blow us out. If we get to a bowl game, we will be embarrassed. Sorry, not feeling very confident in this team at all. 

2 hours ago, K92 said:

Some thoughts:

1.  Does the coaching staff have any idea what Kato's skill set is?  It appeared to me, a person who does not make a living coaching football, that a good strategy last night might have been quick slants over the middle coupled with a hurry up tempo.  Dunno.  It's been well established that Milkweed is an offensive guru so who am I to judge his gameplan?

How about on 4th & 2, they decide to throw the ball (out route to boot?) instead of running an option with a shifty QB?

That alone should answer your question on whether or not the coaching staff knows what Kato's skill set is.

16 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

So you think we win another game? I am assuming KSU is the game you are counting on. 

OU will probably blow us out. If we get to a bowl game, we will be embarrassed. Sorry, not feeling very confident in this team at all. 

I ALWAYS expect a win over rival KSU. They have struggled to score points all year. Even banged up and clueless on offense (Milwee) we should beat them handily at our place. We're leaking oil again heading into MAC title and bowl season. We'll be lucky to play in Detroit (beat OU to get there? Doubt it) and we'll probably be fed what's left of the bowls (doubt we have enough to compete well there). We're on the same page though I may be more optimistic than you regarding the KSU game.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Rodat Nelson

He had a similar comment on a previous game where he claimed that his son would be the best QB in the nation and that we would murder Penn State, Iowa State and any other team that came along.

11 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

I ALWAYS expect a win over rival KSU. They have struggled to score points all year. Even banged up and clueless on offense (Milwee) we should beat them handily at our place. We're leaking oil again heading into MAC title and bowl season. We'll be lucky to play in Detroit (beat OU to get there? Doubt it) and we'll probably be fed what's left of the bowls (doubt we have enough to compete well there). We're on the same page though I may be more optimistic than you regarding the KSU game.

...and yet, those same awful Portage County Community College Golden Flushes beat...wait for it...wait for it...Miami.  :puke: