Game 10—Zips @ Red Hawks

Captain Kangaroo

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

...and yet, those same awful Portage County Community College Golden Flushes beat...wait for it...wait for it...Miami.  :puke:

I know. KSU found a way to put 17 points on the board. Would have to go back to see how many of those points were a gift from Miami.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

They played like the word on Woodson came down late and they were stuck with a game plan for Woodson with a much different QB trying to execute it.  As a result, they spent the entire night trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  Don't get me wrong, they were still plenty bad on offense, defense and special teams regardless.

I agree with clark...the first series I thought not, but after Deltron went down, it was obvious the suspension came way later than earlier...

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Rodat Nelson

" Our best back went down they both are from the same town !! Sands and Kato in the backfield ??‍♂️? , our WR need to stop watching the show and get open it's that simple I'm not a daddy ball dude I speak the real I trained my son he's past first I made him that way his head stays up he reads the defense and takes what's given his mechanics are the best in #CFB hell even some #NFL QBs our OC needs to open his mind and playbook this kid can do #ANYTHING WITH THAT ?Defense or Offense he's a Winner #GodsGotHisFeet? !!! We will soon see I'm sending #Help (.) he needs some WRs that wanna go to the next level ??‍♂️ but as far as QB give him protection he'll pick the #1 NFL team apart the #MAC is super slow fresh off a knee surgery I say we win more than the #MAC next year we build A defense Get some more skills to compete we Got ourselves some #Ring this ? ain't new to my son it's called ? it don't change we do .... and we did #Win if he starts next week and has all the time to get that #Chemistry so we can catch some damn balls ??‍♂️ 2 drop TDs and a missed FG #Mistakes that can be fixed so to me we didn't get the #Victory but we definitely #Won because now the world knows who's on the #Bench ?"

I hate to say it, but I do not want to witness 3 more years of this type of garbage. I hope Alex Ramart blows everyone away in spring ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

They played like the word on Woodson came down late and they were stuck with a game plan for Woodson with a much different QB trying to execute it.  As a result, they spent the entire night trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  Don't get me wrong, they were still plenty bad on offense, defense and special teams regardless.

Clark,

I have been thinking about this since I read it 4 hours ago.  I can only assume the coaching staff knew that Kato was the backup going into this game at Miami and as the backup, you can be thrust into a game at any time.  The staff practice with these kids everyday.  They should know what they can do.  They should have a plan B if the starter goes down.  I think, because your post got a couple of my brain cells to rub together, that the staff must make one game plan and if the starter goes down, pound the square peg in the round hole for the rest of the game because that is definitely what they did last night.

This is the epitome of bush-league coaching.

We deserve better.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

I hate to say it, but I do not want to witness 3 more years of this type of garbage. I hope Alex Ramart blows everyone away in spring ball.

I don't know Kato personally, so I cannot hold how his family acts against him. I want the best QB to win.

51 minutes ago, K92 said:

Clark,

I have been thinking about this since I read it 4 hours ago.  I can only assume the coaching staff knew that Kato was the backup going into this game at Miami and as the backup, you can be thrust into a game at any time.  The staff practice with these kids everyday.  They should know what they can do.  They should have a plan B if the starter goes down.  I think, because your post got a couple of my brain cells to rub together, that the staff must make one game plan and if the starter goes down, pound the square peg in the round hole for the rest of the game because that is definitely what they did last night.

We deserve better.

Maybe you elaborated on it before hand, but how do you expect Kato to be used? He rushed the ball 19(!) times for 12(!) yards. He had nearly twice as many carries as the next closest RB in Morgan (10). It's nearly impossible for him to do any worse in a category that he is supposed to be really good at.  Kato showed zero ability to go through any type of progression. You can run the 1 read plays all you want. If the read isn't open then what?

Edited by LZIp

18 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don't know Kato personally, so I cannot hold how his family acts against him. I want the best QB to win.

Maybe you elaborated on it before hand, but how do you expect Kato to be used? He rushed the ball 19(!) times for 12(!) yards. He had nearly twice as many carries as the next closest RB in Morgan (10). Kato showed zero ability to go through any type of progression. You can run the 1 read plays all you want. If the read isn't open then what?

This isnt really accurate though, when he is running for his life because he can’t get through his progressions & gets sacked those go against his rushing yards so they where not typical read plays in which he is keeping the ball & running so this stat is misleading

6 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

This isnt really accurate though, when he is running for his life because he can’t get through his progressions & gets sacked those go against his rushing yards so they where not typical read plays in which he is keeping the ball & running so this stat is misleading

I don't disagree but I also don't see your point. He was not effective as a runner no matter how you want to look at it. Read options, draws, or scrambles. He did a solid job of eluding some pressure in the pocket, but they never really turned into positive plays.

Edited by LZIp

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don't disagree but I also don't see your point. He was not effective as a runner no matter how you want to look at it. Read options, draws, or scrambles. He did a solid job of eluding some pressure in the pocket, but they never really turned into positive plays.

Point is he probably lost 50 yards scrambling around, takes off of his usual yardage of the true run plays, reason is, he isn’t ready yet, he holds on to ball way to long, doesn’t get through progressions well & try’s to make something out of nothing & it probably worked in High School but there are fast athletes everywhere at the next level & it usually didn’t work out

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Zips RedHawks game was featured on ESPN's around the horn. Not for the quality or lack of quality of play but because the Chain Gang showed up late to start the second half. Smh

That sucks.

But I have to tell you that the Chain Gang incident was hilarious.  Everyone was standing around waiting the kickoff, and the camera panned over to the sticks laying there on the field, unattended.  Then, they show the 3 guys walking casually over to the sticks to pick them up.  And clearly, one of them was eating food. 

WTF?

Was this a job that they gave to a few minimum wage temp. service guys for the night?

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Absolutely agree. This guy obviously thinks his son is all that and will throw everyone else under the bus defending him. 

And to be honest, I haven’t said anything positive or negative about coaching period as sideline coaching is easy after the fact & having coached I just try to avoid it but I don’t think Milwee helped him out any

just my opinion, keep it simple for him, slants, bubbles, screens, than roll the pocket with a couple levels of passes in front of him so it’s simple you see both the short & deep option & since your rolling you can also tuck the ball & run

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1

Nelson can't be judged on what happened last night. That would be blaming him for the lack of discipline the coaching staff has allowed to occur over the last 5 years. Nelson might be OK if there was anyone on the Akron staff who could 'coach up' QB's. But,there is not. Bowden has not shown any ability to bring in top quality MAC Qb's or improve the ones he has has brought in to any great extent. I actually think that Nelson has some real potential with a staff that that is skilled at play calling and improving offensive players. We don't have that now!

I  am watching the OU- Toledo game. Next week is going to be ugly in MHO!

Didn't read all the comments so forgive me if this has already been said. 

If Akron knew it was suspending Woody why did Akron not adjust the offense to Kato's strenghts? No RPO. Only until the 4th did they go empty. 

Watching Miami I couldn't help but think that type of offense would really fit wh what Akron has. They have all of these track guys so why are there never any jet sweep RPO's? Use the speed where you have it. That is certainly not at RB once Sands went down. 

Disappointed in the O line but some of that is on an athletic frosh QB. He will get much better.  

Not sure what Akron was trying to take away on D. When they went base 4-3 their LBs got exposed in space (Especially Houser). Thought the secondary played their hearts out. 

I've said it plenty of times Woody isn't a leader but I didn't expect this from a 5th year Sr. Win vs Kent and in your bowl is a must for me to consider keeping Bowden or forcing major changes to his staff. 

2 hours ago, K92 said:

Clark,

We deserve better.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever said something that was thought provoking.

2 hours ago, K92 said:

The staff practices with these kids everyday.  They should know what they can do. 

This would be the biggest failure for me.  

What if they HAVE prepared for this situation with Kato, and they DID put together a plan that they thought would work with him.  And they just ended up being completely wrong about what they thought he could do?

6 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

But we control our own destiny? Right?

Yes.  I said it before we even played last night.  And the outcome hasn't changed that situation.  

If you meant that to be funny, I don't know why that's amusing.  How many times since 1992 have we entered a game on Nov. 14th with the MAC title right in front of us, and needing help from nobody else to win it?

We've hoped for this moment for years.  Enjoy.   

• Like 1