Game 10—Zips @ Red Hawks

Captain Kangaroo

ESPN2 will televise the game with Kevin Negandhi (play-by-play), Rocky Boiman (analyst), and Quint Kessenich (sideline) calling the game.  

Junior RB Kenny Young is Miami's top rusher with 587 yards and four touchdowns on 116 carries. Junior QB Billy Bahl is 61-of-117 for 820 yards and five touchdowns. Junior WR James Gardner is the leading receiver with 847 yards and nine touchdowns on 42 receptions. Defensively, junior LB Brad Koenig has 70 tackles, three sacks, three hurries, three break-ups, and a forced fumble.

In the NCAA stats, Miami is ranked No. 20 in passing yards per completion (14.13), No. 26 in net punting (40.44), and No. 37 in red zone defense (0.778). Junior WR James Gardner is No. 3 in receiving touchdowns (9), No. 6 in receiving yards (847), and No. 31 in total touchdowns (9).

AKRON-MIAMI CONNECTIONS
Miami has three players from the Akron area on its roster– freshman TE Adam Mehelic (Hudson, Ohio | Hudson HS), freshman WR Dominique Robinson (Canton, Ohio | Canton McKinley HS), and freshman DB Donte Taylor, Jr. (Akron, Ohio | St. Vincent-St. Mary HS).

One more victory, and the Zips will be bowl eligible for the second time in three seasons– a feat that has never been reached in program history. 

29 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

AKRON-MIAMI CONNECTIONS
Miami has three players from the Akron area on its roster– freshman TE Adam Mehelic (Hudson, Ohio | Hudson HS), freshman WR Dominique Robinson (Canton, Ohio | Canton McKinley HS), and freshman DB Donte Taylor, Jr. (Akron, Ohio | St. Vincent-St. Mary HS).

For me, I wouldn't say that McKinley High School is "the Akron area".  

Last week gave me a little more confidence in our big play ability. There was a lot of criticism for continuing to put the ball up, earlier this season, but it will have been worth it if it is solid to finish the season. Miami is capable of explosive play and we need to be able to match teams as we try to take the East.

30 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Last week gave me a little more confidence in our big play ability. There was a lot of criticism for continuing to put the ball up, earlier this season, but it will have been worth it if it is solid to finish the season. 

I hear that.  That WAS our offense in that Buffalo game.  Period.  Without it, we aren't talking about sitting on the doorstep of a MAC East title right now. 

Just look back.  Maybe to the breakout offensive performance 2 years ago at Louisiana Lafayette.   We've had our greatest successes going for big plays with Woodson at QB.  There have been times where we died offensively also.  I guess it's like being a  team that relies on a lot of 3-point shots in basketball.   And Terry has always had that "throw the ball downfield" tendency. 

Three weeks from now, I hope I can say that it helped us this year, instead of failing us.  Because it ain't goin away, Dadgummit !!   

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

For me, I wouldn't say that McKinley High School is "the Akron area".  

You can always tell by whether they say "Akron U."!  From Summit County and born before 1960 makes it about 100%.  :D

Edited by Z.I.P.
  • Like 1

Zips & Bulls Will Be MAC Daddies in Tuesday's Double Dip

Miami Ohio is 0-4-1 ATS in their last five Tuesday games.

Miami Ohio is 1-4 ATS in their last five home games.

Miami Ohio is 1-6 ATS in their last seven games as a favorite.

Akron is 5-1 ATS in their last six conference games.

Akron is 7-1 ATS in their last eight games as a road underdog of 3.5-10.0.

Akron is 4-0 ATS in their last four games after allowing more than 280 yards passing in their previous game.

I'm now wondering about the TV schedule.  For a long time both the Akron-Miami and BGSU-UBuff games were scheduled on the ESPN TV networks (forget which -- either the 'U' or the '2', but not ESPN prime.  Now, in my local newspaper TV sports schedule, it simply says "NCAA College FB, teams TBD" and it only says "ESPN", not specifying which of the 3.  I'm sure it will be on the app/stream, but is the MAC getting screwed over...again?

26 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm now wondering about the TV schedule.  For a long time both the Akron-Miami and BGSU-UBuff games were scheduled on the ESPN TV networks (forget which -- either the 'U' or the '2', but not ESPN prime.  Now, in my local newspaper TV sports schedule, it simply says "NCAA College FB, teams TBD" and it only says "ESPN", not specifying which of the 3.  I'm sure it will be on the app/stream, but is the MAC getting screwed over...again?

Zippers and Sweaters are on the deuce, and streaming on ESPN 3.

10 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I think the biggest problem we all have with the ESPN agreement is that dates and times become inconvenient for fans, and sometimes that ends up all being for an ESPN3 game or an ESPN-U game (special subscription channel).  

I think we do benefit when they actually put us on Standard Cable TV (ESPN2), and expose us to a nationwide audience.   In fact, I was just down South recently on a business trip and those who know I am an Akron grad talk about how they are well aware that we're in the spotlight on those weekdays, and they enjoy the extra football watching.  

But that is usually only the case a couple of times a year.  The rest of the time, we are being majorly inconvenienced for nothing. But, we unfortunately still need the money.    

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

"As for the turnover battle, Martin acknowledged that has been a problem for the RedHawks.

“We’re not only hurting our defense with turnovers, we’re hurting ourselves,” Martin said. “We don’t play a high-possession game. We’re not an up-tempo offense. That’s the area we’re going to continue to focus on.”

This might make the difference in the game. We have done fairly well at protecting the ball and our D has done well with interceptions this year. We do not seem to strip the ball well, but our CBs and LBs have a nose for the ball.