Game 11—Bobcats @ Zips

K92

And the 107th ranked offense in the country just racked up 55 points against the Suckeyes.   And who on this board predicted that JoJo would have both hands on the ball last year in the end zone in Athens last year which would have brought home a victory?

I get it.  We can look at other games and think this doesn't look good.  But, writing this off right now is going to drain the enthusiasm of being in a position that we haven't experienced in November in a very, very long time.  

OU's players are laughing right now if they are reading our message board.   But, maybe that's exactly what we want ?

I, like most on this board, expected us to get railed by OU... even before watching what they did to Toledo last night.

Ugh.

I'm predicting a big L to OU... then a win versus K.e.nt... to make us the single worst bowl-eligible team in the country.

I then predict getting beat down in our bowl game.

That's my quandary.  I have to think Terry's job is on the line over the next 2 weeks here.  The Zips play a seriously lack-luster brand of football which even bores me while watching.  But... bowl eligibility in 2-of-3 years?  The program's never seen such success (how sad).  That, on top of the fact that I liked last year's recruiting class, and I love this year's... I wouldn't want to lose this year's class.  It seems like Terry & staff have finally started landing some of the local standouts.  Idk.  I'm torn.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I, like most on this board, expected us to get railed by OU... even before watching what they did to Toledo last night.

Ugh.

I'm predicting a big L to OU... then a win versus K.e.nt... to make us the single worst bowl-eligible team in the country.

That's my quandary.  I have to think Terry's job is on the line over the next 2 weeks here.  The Zips play a seriously lack-luster brand of football which even bores me while watching.  But... bowl eligibility in 2-of-3 years?  The program's never seen such success (how sad).  That, on top of the fact that I liked last year's recruiting class, and I love this year's... I wouldn't want to lose this year's class.  It seems like Terry & staff have finally started landing some of the local standouts.  Idk.  I'm torn.

Good points B & G.  I can't get too excited over bowl eligibility though as becoming bowl eligible in this day and age has become the equivalent of being a Possible Publisher's Clearing House Grand Prize Winner.

I an hoping for a win, but I predict a blowout for OU. 

The sad part is that if UA beats KSU and makes a bowl game, the Bowden lovers will fall for the smoke and mirrors. It's like being a 500 team in the NBA. You aren't good enough to win anything, but not bad enough to get a lottery pick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Ugh.

I hope what looks inevitable doesn't happen. But.....

I still go back to the stretch of seasons 2003-2005. Those teams were 7-5(Owens), 6-5(Brookhart), 7-6(Brookhart,MAC Champs and Motor City Bowl). Akron got screwed out of other bowls because there weren't as many available. Surely at least one of those teams with Frye should have gotten a bid.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

No idea about Woodson, but Sands' injury looked season ending. They had a brace on his leg and he was carted off. Not something guys usually come back from in one week. Hopefully I am wrong. 

I agree about Sands.

I am pretty sure they described it as a 1 week suspension on the radio.

14 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

We are so screwed.

My defensive game plan would be to focus on their QB. Our linebackers and D/E's should be tackling, hitting, or getting in Rourke's face on every play. This will open up other areas to OU's offense, but their QB is the key. Their kid reminds me of McSorely of Penn State. Then, If Woodson's back with the offense Akron may move and score enough to win. If Woodson is out I would have to think about giving Kelly a few series if Nelson sputters. It might help too if we get O'Leary kicking field goals again. Shout out to Foster and Buddenberg by the way - very steady so far.            

Edited by UA1987

We cannot win without Woodson. Everyone, here, is justifiably mad at his behavior, but we need him to win.

That said, we need to go back to airing it out to open the run or just go all out air attack. 

We will not be able to stop Oulette but maybe the red zone D can come through for us enough to give the offense a chance to win it.

5 hours ago, K92 said:

I like ya but you can't be serious.

I am serious.  When was the last time we were in this position to Win the MAC?  Until that ends, we should be excited about it.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel Akron's only chance is to jump on them early. If OU is playing with a lead they will be even more inclined to running the ball which I don't see Akron having any chance of stopping.

This is probably right.  OU's run game (and our difficulty stopping the run) will probably be the difference in this game unless we can put them into a position where they have to throw.  

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

I hope what looks inevitable doesn't happen. But.....

I still go back to the stretch of seasons 2003-2005. Those teams were 7-5(Owens), 6-5(Brookhart), 7-6(Brookhart,MAC Champs and Motor City Bowl). Akron got screwed out of other bowls because there weren't as many available. Surely at least one of those teams with Frye should have gotten a bid.

I don't know if too many people remember how that all ended in 2004 (Brookhart's first year).  We needed Michigan State to beat Hawaii to knock them out of eligibility, and Hawaii ended up coming back from an early 20-0 deficit to win, and they ended up being awarded the last bowl bid.  

We were the only team in the country that year that was eligible (had a winning record), but did not get a bid.   

27 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I am serious.  When was the last time we were in this position to Win the MAC?  Until that ends, we should be excited about it.

Do you get excited before the first game at the prospect of going 14-0?

• Haha 1

• Announcement on Woodson coming later this week. ?

• Sticking with Gasser at kicker. 

• Sands broken fibula, out for the year. ?

• Kato only had a couple of days at 1st team reps

• We have to run the ball better. 

• Best Ohio team since I (TB) have been here. Good on both sides of the ball. 

• Every week someone's cell phone rings with an old time ringer, happened again. Should become a drinking game. 

42 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't know if too many people remember how that all ended in 2004 (Brookhart's first year).  We needed Michigan State to beat Hawaii to knock them out of eligibility, and Hawaii ended up coming back from an early 20-0 deficit to win, and they ended up being awarded the last bowl bid.  

Any time I'm around my father and Michigan State is on, he tells me to this day "I'll never root Michigan State for any reason again". 

• Haha 1

I went to bed last night a little bit after I saw OU kick a field goal right before halftime to take a 10-7 lead at home.  I was worried then. 

I woke up and saw the final score and right then made the decision to stay home next Tuesday and watch on TV.  I hope I'm wrong, but this game has all the makings of a P5 money game pounding, except at home against a conference rival.  If it was a Saturday game, I'd still probably be there.  Having to wake up at 5:30 for work on Wednesday makes this a watch-at-home. 

OU 52, Zips 13.

• Like 1

Just now, skip-zip said:

No. 

I don't either and I'm certainly not trying to rain on your parade.  I got some excitement going after the Buffalo win and was looking forward to maybe <<<finally>>> breaking through to win the East.  The Miami game was a big kick right square to the nutsack and brought me right back to reality real quick.

I don't know much, but I do know that Ohio is a lot better team than Miami.  I think our chances for winning are slim to none and slim just left town, but I will be there and I will be rooting for the miracle.  I just don't see it happening.  :(

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, K92 said:

Ohio is better team than Miami. 

Agreed.  But Miami was a road game, and OU is a home game.  

17 minutes ago, K92 said:

I just don't see it happening.  :(

I don't either.  But it doesn't change how I feel about having a home game to win the MAC East title in November.

I'll put this out there as well.

We lost to them 14-12 in 2015, and 9-6 last year. 

1) It's obvious our defense has taken the OU game pretty seriously lately. 

2) It's pretty obvious that the scores of these games would never have been what anyone would have predicted.   

Edited by skip-zip