Game 11—Bobcats @ Zips

K92

12 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

When I was listening to the coach's show, I believe he said they would make a decision later in the week?

If I were the Akron staff,  I wouldn't tell anyone until gametime, whether a decision has been made or not.   I think they are such different athletes that I would make it as difficult on the opposition as possible by making them prepare for both QB's.  

40 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

If I were the Akron staff,  I wouldn't tell anyone until gametime, whether a decision has been made or not. 

Skip - remember last season when they kept news on Ball's medical status a mystery all season long?  Everyone was mum on the subject every week...your idea is a solid one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

My prediction is Kato Nelson will be the starting QB, and will be for the remainder of the season. 

Lets hope your starting QB prediction is as accurate as it was prior to the season. These next two games could very likely save or cost the staff their jobs. It would be great to know what Woody did to allow us to make a fair assessment of the situation, but I'd imagine they want the player out there who gives them the best chance to win considering the circumstances.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Lets hope your starting QB prediction is as accurate as it was prior to the season. These next two games could very likely save or cost the staff their jobs. It would be great to know what Woody did to allow us to make a fair assessment of the situation, but I'd imagine they want the player out there who gives them the best chance to win considering the circumstances.

I'm with you on that.  I'm sure they want Woodson out there, and I believe he is the best we have.  

But, we (the fans) probably aren't going to know the details of what happened anytime soon.  

I have a contrary opinion. I agree that the coaches feel Woody is our best QB. But Woody did something, although unstated, that probably put the best interests of the team as an afterthought. If that is the decision of a senior 3 year starter then to me he is no longer our best QB and Kato should get the nod from here on out. For once forget about what we need this week or the last few games and start making decisions that will elevate our culture and the performance of Akron football for years to come. Stop acting like we are desperate for a savior at QB. Send the message no man is above the team. Do that and the team will find a way to win. Next man up. Our team needs discipline and unfortunately Bowden does not demand it. It's time that changes, even if he is on the way out. We deserve better. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I have a contrary opinion. I agree that the coaches feel Woody is our best QB. But Woody did something, although unstated, that probably put the best interests of the team as an afterthought. If that is the decision of a senior 3 year starter then to me he is no longer our best QB and Kato should get the nod from here on out. For once forget about what we need this week or the last few games and start making decisions that will elevate our culture and the performance of Akron football for years to come. Stop acting like we are desperate for a savior at QB. Send the message no man is above the team. Do that and the team will find a way to win. Next man up. Our team needs discipline and unfortunately Bowden does not demand it. It's time that changes, even if he is on the way out. We deserve better. 

Once again, nobody on the outside knows what he did, so jumping to conclusions isn't wise. Woody doesn't deserve any defense and I am not giving him that. The coaches can keep him suspended and I wouldn't blame them as its a very selfish move. However, our team won't find a way to win, we just lost to friggin' Miami. Not sure how you can say discipline isn't demanded when the starting QB was literally just suspended for a winnable game that would have made the team bowl eligible. I can hardly think of any off the field issues the program has had during his tenure, which is saying a lot considering the past of some of the transfers that have been brought in.

Playing moral police and keeping the starting QB suspended just because isn't going to mean jack for culture and performance of the program for years to come. Winning will.

Edited by LZIp

17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Playing moral police and keeping the starting QB suspended just because isn't going to mean jack for culture and performance of the program for years to come. Winning will.

But....he wasn't suspended "just because"...there was obviously a reason, and if that reason deserves another game or two off the field, and we lose those games, but TB made the decision knowing we might, it puts TB  in a better light with the AD, rather than trying to "win at all costs"?

22 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I have a contrary opinion. I agree that the coaches feel Woody is our best QB. But Woody did something, although unstated, that probably put the best interests of the team as an afterthought.

I know what you're saying.  And I've posted some negative things about Woodson before on this forum.  

But for me, the coaching staff obviously showed they aren't willing to excuse indiscretions by suspending a starting QB for a game with 3 games left, with our team sitting in 1st place.  So, I'm satisfied that they didn't put a Win over the integrity of the program.  

If it's something severe, I don't expect him to play again this week.  If not, I hope they made their statement to the team about player behavior, and we can lets him go help us win a title.  

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Once again, nobody on the outside knows what he did, so jumping to conclusions isn't wise. Woody doesn't deserve any defense and I am not giving him that. The coaches can keep him suspended and I wouldn't blame them as its a very selfish move. However, our team won't find a way to win, we just lost to friggin' Miami. Not sure how you can say discipline isn't demanded when the starting QB was literally just suspended for a winnable game that would have made the team bowl eligible. I can hardly think of any off the field issues the program has had during his tenure, which is saying a lot considering the past of some of the transfers that have been brought in.

If our team can't find a way to win with the starting QB suspended then we don't have a team period. No one person makes a team a winner. There's no "moral police" here unless you feel the coaches are because they are the ones who suspended him. I said anyone who puts the team second doesn't deserve to be on the team. The coaches seem to agree. We are a losing program, see our past records. Saying we need one person to turn it around only points to a desperate situation and, yes, a bad culture. With  a bad culture you will never play good football, which we haven't since last year's Marshall game.

36 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

If our team can't find a way to win with the starting QB suspended then we don't have a team period. No one person makes a team a winner.

Oh, come on.  There's many good football teams that wouldn't win without their starting QB.    I can't agree with you if you're trying to say that it doesn't matter.  

44 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Oh, come on.  There's many good football teams that wouldn't win without their starting QB.    I can't agree with you if you're trying to say that it doesn't matter.  

Skip, I rarely disagree with you, but I do now. Ohio State lost two starting QB's while winning a national championship. That's the level of team play that we should aspire to. 

30 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Skip, I rarely disagree with you, but I do now. Ohio State lost two starting QB's while winning a national championship. That's the level of team play that we should aspire to. 

There's a big difference between Ohio State and Akron.  I mean c'mon man.  OSU regularly has 2 QBs sitting on the bench that could be starters in the other 120 D-1 programs.  It's hardly a fair comparison.  The best we can hope for is to have a competent young back-up who looks to be the future.  We've seen that a lot with other MAC programs, and looks like we've got potential with our program here.  If being a top MAC program is what we're aiming for, that's all we can ask for.  We're never going to get the kinda depth that the Big guys get. 

14 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

The Athletic department has a written code of conduct. If a player violates that code there are specific penalties laid out that are not negotiable. Most likely the coaching staff has little to no input on when Woodson returns.

The head coach has publicly said, on several occasions,  that he was suspended for breaking a football team rule.   This would be the first time I've heard anyone suggest that it was a violation of our athletic department's code of conduct, including anyone within the athletic department. 

21 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I know what you're saying.  And I've posted some negative things about Woodson before on this forum.  

But for me, the coaching staff obviously showed they aren't willing to excuse indiscretions by suspending a starting QB for a game with 3 games left, with our team sitting in 1st place.  So, I'm satisfied that they didn't put a Win over the integrity of the program.  

If it's something severe, I don't expect him to play again this week.  If not, I hope they made their statement to the team about player behavior, and we can lets him go help us win a title.  

This is a tough situation. What factors is Bowden looking at? Is is 'simply' trying to beat OU and winning the division and going to the MAC Championship game(tough no matter who plays)? Is it keeping team discipline? Is there a consideration about his job at Akron might be in jeopardy depending on how the team finishes? Hard to tell what his overriding concern is.

Whatever,Zips have to play the best game they have played all season. Hopefully, we haven't seen that yet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

(as demonstrated by a loss to a team beaten by Portage County CC).

So, if Team A wins a game against Team B, and Team B wins a game against Team C, then Team A (Kent) must be infinitely better than Team C (Akron).  Right?

We know this theory doesn't answer anything.  

If true, then my calculation says that Wisconsin is 55 points better than Ohio State, after Wisconsin blew out Iowa, and Iowa blew out Ohio State.  

WAY too many other variables.  

• Like 1