Game 11—Bobcats @ Zips

K92

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

is there any affiliation?

None. 

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I saw a GREAT recommendation to get students to games that has somehow never been brought up before.  $1 dollar beer!

While I think it's a good idea, and would be fine, the people making the decision likely remember  "10-Cent Beer Night" in Cleveland that ended with a riot.

Just now, Dr Z said:

None. 

While I think it's a good idea, and would be fine, the people making the decision likely remember  "10-Cent Beer Night" in Cleveland that ended with a riot.

I don't think its that rare of a promotion. The Rubberducks do $1 beer night weekly. It was a big draw when I was a student.

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

That was in 1974, so it was before I was old enough to drink.  But I know people who were there, and people who were working at the old Cleveland Stadium that night too, including relatives in law enforcement.  Can you imagine?  

For those interested, you can still see some good footage and documentaries on YouTube.  And, you can actually buy novelty tee-shirts that commemorate the occasion.   

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

So, if Team A wins a game against Team B, and Team B wins a game against Team C, then Team A (Kent) must be infinitely better than Team C (Akron).  Right?

We know this theory doesn't answer anything.  

If true, then my calculation says that Wisconsin is 55 points better than Ohio State, after Wisconsin blew out Iowa, and Iowa blew out Ohio State.  

WAY too many other variables.  

Sorry skip-zip, but I did not say or imply that.  My point was that the Zips do not have the on the field talent right now to be successful without their starting QB and that was evidenced by a loss to an awful team.  PCCC is one of the worst FBS teams in college football.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

^^In all of the talk last night by the @Zips_Nation twitter account (is there any affiliation?), I saw a GREAT recommendation to get students to games that has somehow never been brought up before.  $1 dollar beer!

That probably isn't something that University presidents want to get behind at this moment given the highly publicized incidences of college students dying from over indulgence of alcohol and probably other intoxicating substances on college campuses. And,those other 'promotions' being referred to here were in connection with professional sports teams not public institutions of 'higher' learning. Got to imagine that there might be a pretty large liability incurred if something like this went bad at an on campus site.

And,that does not 'solve' the long term issue anyway.

10 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

That probably isn't something that University presidents want to get behind at this moment given the highly publicized incidences of college students dying from over indulgence of alcohol and probably other intoxicating substances on college campuses. And,those other 'promotions' being referred to here were in connection with professional sports teams not public institutions of 'higher' learning. Got to imagine that there might be a pretty large liability incurred if something like this went bad at an on campus site.

And,that does not 'solve' the long term issue anyway.

I agree that there is *probably* some liability issue somewhere in here that needs to be considered, but the U still sells alcohol regardless.....Does lowering the price point open themselves up to some other liability that isn't already accounted for? Heck in my mind its them operating more along the lines of a non-profit university as they wouldn't be selling products for a large mark-up. Public institution or not, the "professional" sports teams apparently have the liability angle figured out. I would be hard pressed to believe that any of these deaths on campus came directly as a result of students ONLY drinking beer. There is no reason the staff cannot cutoff students who are visibly intoxicated, just like any other establishment does.

I think it does go towards solving the long term issues. When I think of Rubber Ducks games I think of cheap fun. When students think of football games, it would go a long way towards thinking of it as cheap fun.

Edited by LZIp

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

^^In all of the talk last night by the @Zips_Nation twitter account (is there any affiliation?), I saw a GREAT recommendation to get students to games that has somehow never been brought up before.  $1 dollar beer!

Except most students aren't of legal drinking age...Maybe juniors, and mostly seniors would be.  You're excluding half the student-body, and the ones most likely to be living on campus.  

Edited by Balsy

I don't see Akron Athletics putting ANYTHING out there.  Like anything...

Didn't we have a night-game "blackout" a couple of years ago when BGSU came to town with us in legitimate contention as well?  They organized, in advance, the scholarship giveaway that night.  Seems like a thing they should do for this game too...apparently no one gives-a-damn over there to think about these things.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:21 AM, skip-zip said:

And the 107th ranked offense in the country just racked up 55 points against the Suckeyes.   And who on this board predicted that JoJo would have both hands on the ball last year in the end zone in Athens last year which would have brought home a victory?

I get it.  We can look at other games and think this doesn't look good.  But, writing this off right now is going to drain the enthusiasm of being in a position that we haven't experienced in November in a very, very long time.  

OU's players are laughing right now if they are reading our message board.   But, maybe that's exactly what we want ?

Edited by The Hip Zip
Nevermind.... mods can delete.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Sorry skip-zip, but I did not say or imply that.  My point was that the Zips do not have the on the field talent right now to be successful without their starting QB and that was evidenced by a loss to an awful team.  PCCC is one of the worst FBS teams in college football.

Umm.  We haven't played Portage County Community College yet.  

Hi. New student here. I haven't been to a football game before. I'm planning on going to the game after my evening class tomorrow. Can anyone tell me where a good place to park is. I'd like to be able to park over near the stadium so I can just hop on Rt 8 after the game. Also does anyone know if there is a specific gate for students. Thanks. 

• Like 5

ABJ: Zips prepare for tough test against Ohio Tuesday night

GT mentions OU QB Nathan Rourke.  The guy's really good.  Legit dual-threat QB.  He's a lot of fun to watch, actually.  But tonight it may just be painful.

I say we simply have to sell out to stop the run and make Rourke beat us with his arm.  If Rourke beats us with his arm, then we've just got to tip our helmets to him.

• Like 1

Biggin' tonight. I've only been able to scrap together 1 other to go...and thats the girlfriend so she doesn't count. Going to try a few more old college buddies still living in Akron.

I really don't think OU is that "great" of a team, but damn I can't get that Toledo result out of my head. Gonna have to bring it tonight fellas!

39 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I've only been able to scrap together 1 other to go...and thats the girlfriend so she doesn't count. 

:lol:

39 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I really don't think OU is that "great" of a team, but damn I can't get that Toledo result out of my head. 

I know what you mean.  I keep trying to convince myself that it's the friggin MAC East.  But even Terry said that this might be the best OU team that he's seen since he's been here.  

We've played them really, really close for the last few years.  I'm having a hard time convincing myself that they've gotten that much better than us in one year.  I just hope they've already played their best game this year.