2017 College Cup

I am very happy with a 5 seed.  Don't know about the chance to lay teams we already beat, as MarkS mentions above....We handled both pretty well here, so maybe not a bad deal.  Plus - finally the MAC gets two teams!  I stand corrected on my worries that the Committee would screw us and the MAC over again.  They did a very thoughtful and well laid out bracket.  And listening to the chair of the committee, he seems to know the sport and the environment way better than past Committee chairs.  Maybe the NCAA is finally getting away from Administrators and college prezes to do the selections!

15 minutes ago, MarkS said:

So our first two opponents will likely be Washington and ND, teams the Zips have already played (and beaten). 

Is that good or bad??

Notre Dame has to get by Big Ten Champion Wisconsin.   Irish will have their hands full.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, chris said:

I attended the viewing party at the JAR. The team was disappointed when it was announced that Akron received a #5 seed.

Well it was possible to hope for #4, but I think Louisville's case was a bit better than Akron's. Against the RPI top 25, Louisville was 4-1-2, including wins over #3 and #6, and Akron was 3-1, with the best win over #8. Akron also lost to #8, while Louisville's loss was to #1. Only ding against Louisville was that they had a recent "bad" loss to #45, whereas Arkon's "bad" losses were in the first two games of the season. 

This team was quite fortunate to get past SIU-E....when they possibly might have been looking ahead to a game against Western Michigan.

It is tournament time...and all coulda's ; woulda's and shoulda's are moot now about the draw.   This team needs to take it one game at a time....and focus on beating a team from the State of Washington this upcoming Sunday.   I am sure that Jared will start preaching...one game at a time....win and advance.

Soccer is a very hard game.    Unlike past years, Akron was seeded 2 places higher than their current RPI.   The seniors on this team have all improved tremendously from last year.   With the loss of Najem and Jonathan Lewis and the 2 starting centerbacks, I thought this team was ranked too high at the beginning of the season.   The 6 starting seniors and the 2 great freshman center backs and many others (Skye, the corner kick king needs a shout out) have surpassed my expectations.    Nate, Niko, Manel, Pau, Stuart and Sam can lead this team a long way in this tournament.   

44 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I remember a recent discussion on here where a few people did NOT want to see Ken Lolla in Akron again.  

Well, then I guess you get a worse scenario.  We're looking at an Elite 8 game AT Louisville.  

Each team has to win 2 games to get there.....Akron needs to concentrate on a team from Washington this weekend

one game at a time......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I remember a recent discussion on here where a few people did NOT want to see Ken Lolla in Akron again.  

Well, then I guess you get a worse scenario.  We're looking at an Elite 8 game AT Louisville.  

I ain’t shook!  Stuie don’t care neither.  Bring!  All in the game, yo!

• Like 1

Who's up for a little fun?  You've heard of March Madness....well let's do a November Numbness.  The bracket is out and everyone can get their hands on one.  http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1

Let's have a little contest for bragging rights on ZipsNation as the Chief Poobah Of Prognostications for the College Cup.  Between now and noon on Thursday, post your "winners" for the first 16 matches on Thursday, then the 16 winners on Sunday, based on the matches using the teams you picked as winners from Thursday vs. the top 16 teams.  After week 1 we'll re-group and pick the next two rounds.  I will volunteer to keep score, but of course we can all keep track based on the brackets posted.  I'm gonna start a new thread called November Numbness, for everyone to put their picks.  Hopefully we'll get a few ZN.O members to play along.  Strictly a game of chance, no funds to be exchanged....except being able to use the Chief Poobah moniker for a whole year!  What do you think?  Are you with me Boys?

Edited by ZipsVoice
spelling

There is an annual bracket challenge at bigsoccer, but you have to fill out the entire bracket before Thurs:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2017-ncaa-bracket-challenge.2078569

Here is the one I posted there:

Columbia
Butler
Pacific
Coastal Carolina
UNCW
SMU
Fordham
FIU
Washington
Wisconsin
Massachusetts
California
Virginia Tech
Maryland
New Hampshire
NC State

Wake Forest
VCU
Stanford
Clemson
Akron
Notre Dame
Massachusetts
California
North Carolina
Georgetown
Virginia
Duke
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Dartmouth
Indiana

Wake Forest
Stanford
Akron
California
North Carolina
Duke
Western Michigan
Indiana

Stanford
Akron
Duke
Western Michigan

Akron
Duke

Akron

5 hours ago, SBZipfan said:

There is an annual bracket challenge at bigsoccer, but you have to fill out the entire bracket before Thurs:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2017-ncaa-bracket-challenge.2078569

Here is the one I posted there:

Columbia
Butler
Pacific
Coastal Carolina
UNCW
SMU
Fordham
FIU
Washington
Wisconsin
Massachusetts
California
Virginia Tech
Maryland
New Hampshire
NC State

Wake Forest
VCU
Stanford
Clemson
Akron
Notre Dame
Massachusetts
California
North Carolina
Georgetown
Virginia
Duke
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Dartmouth
Indiana

Wake Forest
Stanford
Akron
California
North Carolina
Duke
Western Michigan
Indiana

Stanford
Akron
Duke
Western Michigan

Akron
Duke

Akron

Two MAC teams in the College Cup?

5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Interesting.  You're predicting a repeat of the 1986 Title Game.  

I did not know that! I like it even more now.

5 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Two MAC teams in the College Cup?

Why not???  They're both in the top 8 of RPI.

I almost put WMU in the final, then decided I didn't want to play them again ...

12 hours ago, SBZipfan said:

Akron

Duke

Akron

7 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Interesting.  You're predicting a repeat of the 1986 Title Game. 

Except with Akron winning this time.

1 hour ago, SBZipfan said:

I did not know that! I like it even more now.

I believe Duke's 1st ever team National Championship was Men's Soccer in 1986 before they became a basketball powerhouse.