Game 2—UT Martin Skyhawks

Let'sGoZips94

16 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

I have ZERO problem with it. Focus on the team, not the individual. 

The boards are for fans. I can go to my high school alma mater and see the players points on the scoreboard. I get it, just think it's lame with the new shiny toys we have in the JAR now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zippy5 said:

The boards are for fans. I can go to my high school alma mater and see the players points on the scoreboard. I get it, just think it's lame with the new shiny toys we have in the JAR now.

I'd like to know if some of the people who are claiming that they are "OK with this" are the same people who have been b*tching about the Akron Fan Experience on here for years.  

When it was first mentioned, I thought it had to be either a mistake or a mechanical problem.   I've never heard of this before.  

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'd like to know if some of the people who are claiming that they are "OK with this" are the same people who have been b*tching about the Akron Fan Experience on here for years.  

When it was first mentioned, I thought it had to be either a mistake or a mechanical problem.   I've never heard of this before.  

I'm perfectly OK with this, and I haven't complained about the fan experience.  Anything else?

It's definitely been done before.

A few years ago Kent State had a "no stats" approach on their scoreboards. I don't recall if it was Ford or Senderoff, but one of them decided it would help a struggling offense.

Wonder if Groce did this at OU or Illinois too? Honestly I'm okay with whatever the coaches think will work best.

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lilroodude said:

I have ZERO problem with it. Focus on the team, not the individual. 

Then why have the player's name on the back of the jersey? Blatant focus on the individual as far as I'm concerned. :mad_flame:

I remain extremely worried how we will ever win on the road, with the opponent's scoreboard keeping running tallies of our players points and fouls. And, what if a member of True Blue yells out "HEY DUVIVIER...YOU HAVE 9 POINTS AND THREE FOULS!!" while we're at Buffalo? Crap...we're doomed.

It does give me a deeper appreciation for Keith Dambrot, who won 87 percent of the games he coached at the JAR despite having the player's points and fouls being displayed at both ends of the floor. The guy was a miracle worker.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I remain extremely worried how we will ever win on the road, with the opponent's scoreboard keeping running tallies of our players points and fouls. And, what if a member of True Blue yells out "HEY DUVIVIER...YOU HAVE 9 POINTS AND THREE FOULS!!" while we're at Buffalo? Crap...we're doomed.

And you may remember that they display them for 100% of the game when you're playing in Cleveland, on all 4 sides of the board.  

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Then why have the player's name on the back of the jersey? Blatant focus on the individual as far as I'm concerned. :mad_flame:

It does give me a deeper appreciation for Keith Dambrot, who won 87 percent of the games he coached at the JAR despite having the player's points and fouls being displayed at both ends of the floor. The guy was a miracle worker.

I would rather watch good basketball than read crappy individual stats.  If the coach thinks this will help his team win, I am 100% for it.  Considering the 2 of the 3 vets from last year have not had great games, it has been fun to watch the last 2 games.  I know it is early but thus far I have been impressed with the discipline of this team, the foul shooting, the defense, and the overall team quickness.  I also liked the coaches post game comments where he talked about where the team needs to improve and how far they have to go to get better.

19 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The plot thickens. 

I received another confirmation on the nixing of individual stats.  I hope this doesn't turn into "StatGate."  I personally prefer having the overall stats displayed more than the individual...but I'm sure Skip Zip will have the opposite point of view :rolleyes:

Might have been a halftime or timeout quick display. I specifically recall my son pointing out that no Akron player was in any kind of foul trouble fairly deep into the game.

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I would rather watch good basketball than read crappy individual stats. 

Why do you need to make the choice? Did't you watch good basketball for the past 13 years, and have some stats? 

It is simply bizarre, in 2017, to have a brand new hi-def scoreboard, 4 high-resolution sideboards, and you don't use them to tell the fans the game point, rebound and foul information. Was this equipment installed simply to have grainy footage of elderly people making out on the Kiss Cam?

Why does Steve French, during his broadcast, tell you how many points or fouls a player has? It's because fans want to know this information. 

If I'm at the game, and there are 5 different scoreboards in my immediate viewing area, it is bizarre that I need to check my phone to see how many points Daniel Utomi has scored. It happens no where else in the world but the JAR.

I made a post in the renovation thread after seeing the ribbon boards that provided team stats saying something along the lines of thank god I don't need to check my phone anymore. At the time I didn't realize they took away the individual player stat boards. I assumed if anything they would have expanded individual stats to include rebounds and assists totals. I was wrong and now retract my statement.

50 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Why do you need to make the choice? Did't you watch good basketball for the past 13 years, and have some stats? 

It is simply bizarre, in 2017, to have a brand new hi-def scoreboard, 4 high-resolution sideboards, and you don't use them to tell the fans the game point, rebound and foul information. Was this equipment installed simply to have grainy footage of elderly people making out on the Kiss Cam?

Why does Steve French, during his broadcast, tell you how many points or fouls a player has? It's because fans want to know this information. 

If I'm at the game, and there are 5 different scoreboards in my immediate viewing area, it is bizarre that I need to check my phone to see how many points Daniel Utomi has scored. It happens no where else in the world but the JAR.

How come they don't show live stats for football?

36 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

How come they don't show live stats for football?

Because the game is a lot slower - People aren't scoring every 15 seconds. 

Do you really want to know when a player goes from 13 to 17 total yards rushing?

I can't believe I need to explain this....

11 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Because the game is a lot slower - People aren't scoring every 15 seconds. 

Do you really want to know when a player goes from 13 to 17 total yards rushing?

I can't believe I need to explain this....

Yeah. For me it's not so much of this being that big of a deal, but an overall continuation of athletics continually shooting themselves in the foot. New scoreboards? Let's use standard definition video and not show player stats. Brilliant! 

• Like 1

I don't think they were ordered and installed with the intent not to use them for individual stats.  Im sure the coaching staff considered that away games would have those stats displayed, so I gather this is an attempt to engrain a mindset into the players.  Personally, I don't understand the angst about this, but we all watch the game with different perspectives.