Game 2—UT Martin Skyhawks

Let'sGoZips94

I am very excited about this game, and am glad this is at the JAR.

UT Martin is 0-2 on the season, but I think they will present a heck of a challenge, and be a decent indicator for where/what this Akron team ACTUALLY is. Their 2 losses are an 11 pt. OT loss to Marshall, and a 3 pt. loss to Illinois (they put up 44 in the 2nd half on the Fighting Illinis). The Skyhawks Head Coach, Anthony Stewart, was discussed on this board as a candidate for our head coaching gig before we ultimately hired Groce. 

On a side note, this Akron schedule is very fun. UT Martin (exciting mid major), Dayton (we owe them from the OT loss), Chattanooga (Lamont Paris), IPFW (we owe them some revenge), Appalachian State (new name on the schedule), Mississippi Valley State (tune up before Hawaii), USC (big name), Middle Tennessee/Princeton, Davidson/Miami/NMSU/Hawaii, Concord (MAC tune up).

UT Martin is picked 8th in the OVC preseason poll.  Both teams are in a similar situation, but the advantage will go to UT Martin having 3 games under their belts by the time they get to the JAR.  An effort similar to the 2nd half vs. CSU should win this game. 

Key to this one will be stopping their guard play, especially Rhode Island transfer and preseason all-OVC combo guard Matthew Butler.   He's a volume shooter from the outside (20 attempts in their first two games, shooting 40%).  Perimeter defense will be important.  They start a couple 6'8" guys, so not a ton of size.  This should be a fairly evenly matched game. 

Someone wrote on here awhile back that they thought our prior coach recruited for "the position" and Groce recruited for "the team.". That's likely too simplistic, of course.  But I think I read somewhere that the players who stayed were allowed to have input on whether a recruit would fit in with the program.  Whoever said Ivey may need to shake off last year's demons is probably on the right track.  It always seemed like he wasn't happy fighting for time with Noah and Antino, etc.  

The going gets tougher here. UTM is much, much better than Cleveland St.  I'm happy that the out of conference schedule is better but concerned that we will take our lumps.  Still, it gives us a better measure of where the young Zips are this season. BTW: did anybody catch the fact that Appy St beat some crap squad by 101 points Saturday ? 

I wonder what we're supposed to get from their near-win against Groce's old team a few nights ago?  I know Illinois is bad, but still.  

I also noticed that UT-Martin is traveling to play a game in North Carolina on Wednesday, and then traveling here to play.  That could be a factor if we have to stage another late comeback.

1 hour ago, The Hip Zip said:

The going gets tougher here. UTM is much, much better than Cleveland St.  I'm happy that the out of conference schedule is better but concerned that we will take our lumps.  Still, it gives us a better measure of where the young Zips are this season. BTW: did anybody catch the fact that Appy St beat some crap squad by 101 points Saturday ? 

That was Toccoa Falls College who lost their next game to Mercer by 77!  App. State has Iowa State this week which should be a little more of a barometer.

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That was Toccoa Falls College who lost their next game to Mercer by 77!  App. State has Iowa State this week which should be a little more of a barometer.

My niece went to Toccoa Falls college. It is a tiny Christian school in Georgia. I am surprised they even have a team.

49 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

You'd think, but 0-2 Iowa State has a 15 point loss to Mizzou and an 18 point loss to Milwaukee.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, lilroodude said:

I am a huge fan of GV Artwork's apparel, and am ecstatic that Akron decided to partner with them. However, the grammar nerd inside me is cringing. 

We HAVE Hops

But it does advertise that we have guys who can touch the scoreboard this year, which will be very intimidating to our opponents.  :D

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1