Game 2—UT Martin Skyhawks

Let'sGoZips94

Hello Zips Nation,

I am first and foremost an Illinois Fighting Illini basketball fan. However, I am still a believer in John Groce, the man and the coach. In all of my time following sports I have never seen anyone or any team experience such lousy breaks as he had here. And through it all he fought with grit and grace. You have a decent man running your program. You will never have to worry about NCAA violations and his family is an asset to any community. You also have a fighter who will have your teams playing their best basketball at the end of the year when it matters. I am personally frustrated because I didn't get to see his vision come together so I have decided to adopt Akron if you will allow me. I know absolutely nothing of the MAC Conference and even less about Akron basketball, but I intend to learn. I can share my experience watching the Groce system for 5 seasons for those with questions, but remember I am just a fan like yourselves.

Go Zips!!

• Like 8

Welcome :wave:  You just expanded our fan base immensely, since I think almost all of us are either Alums or Akron residents.  

You might actually be able to help us out a lot in the future.  Many of us will certainly be making that trip to Champaign to see the Zips play the Illini in a couple of years.  We could definitely use a local resource.  

51 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Hello Zips Nation,

I am first and foremost an Illinois Fighting Illini basketball fan. However, I am still a believer in John Groce, the man and the coach. In all of my time following sports I have never seen anyone or any team experience such lousy breaks as he had here. And through it all he fought with grit and grace. You have a decent man running your program. You will never have to worry about NCAA violations and his family is an asset to any community. You also have a fighter who will have your teams playing their best basketball at the end of the year when it matters. I am personally frustrated because I didn't get to see his vision come together so I have decided to adopt Akron if you will allow me. I know absolutely nothing of the MAC Conference and even less about Akron basketball, but I intend to learn. I can share my experience watching the Groce system for 5 seasons for those with questions, but remember I am just a fan like yourselves.

Go Zips!!

Groce has a stalker LOL.

Seriously, I am impressed so far. Zips have a tradition of losing an early OOC game they should win, and of being horrible at the foul line. So far neither has been true this season.

I hope he can take us to the next level.

On 11/18/2017 at 10:57 PM, ewbrooman1 said:

At the women's game last night, the stats boards almost always had team stats on one board and individual stats on the other on each side. I never saw individual stats tonight during the game. A few people around me were grumbling and/or checking their phones for the info. 

I cannot believe that we would spend the money for new, state-of-the-art scoreboards and not use them to display individual stats. It had to be a glitch with the new software, or perhaps there was no student available to enter the data.

There's no way a college head coach would prevent stats from being placed on the scoreboard. Individual stats are displayed at every level of basketball.

What do you do for road games...tell your players (shaking your finger at them) - "Don't you even think about looking up at the scoreboard or I'll bench you!".:lol:

The individual stats appeared on the side boards in game #1. Hopefully they return for the UT Chattanooga game.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:03 AM, Blue & Gold said:

I don't appreciate Poke's game.  Not last year; not this year.  He blocks shots but does nothing else... okay... he wins the jump ball. Lol.  Maybe in time we'll develop the team chemistry where, like last year, we can work to get him alley-oops once in a while?  If he ever creates a shot on his own before he graduates I'll be pleasantly surprised.  At least he's not fouling like he did last year.

Poke needs to look for the alley-oop. That was his bread and butter last season. 

There were at least 2 occasions where the Zip ball handler was looking for that play, and Poke was not paying attention. 

Groce seems like a very detail-oriented guy. I'm sure Poke's offense will be addressed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Poke needs to look for the alley-oop. That was his bread and butter last season. 

There were at least 2 occasions where the Zip ball handler was looking for that play, and Poke was not paying attention. 

Groce seems like a very detail-oriented guy. I'm sure Poke's offense will be addressed.

Part of that is familiarity.  With all of the changes on the roster, it takes time, but it will come.

For anyone who was driven to drink by the 2016-17 Zips guard's ole' defense...you have to be loving Duvivier's defensive footwork. Not only is he physically big...he does a great job of getting to the spot before the offensive player. 

He's fast become my favorite Zip. Beyond the defense, his confidence in his own offensive game is awesome. No hesitation on his jumper when he has space, and drives the lane when it's open. Love him.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I cannot believe that we would spend the money for new, state-of-the-art scoreboards and not use them to display individual stats. It had to be a glitch with the new software, or perhaps there was no student available to enter the data.

There's no way a college head coach would prevent stats from being placed on the scoreboard. Individual stats are displayed at every level of basketball.

What do you do for road games...tell your players (shaking your finger at them) - "Don't you even think about looking up at the scoreboard or I'll bench you!".:lol:

The individual stats appeared on the side boards in game #1. Hopefully they return for the UT Chattanooga game.

They pop up periodically, but are not prominently or often showcased. I don't remember the exact time I saw them pop up on Saturday, but they were there. Team stats are shown 99% of the time, though. 

I'm the guilty party in stating this as fact based on 2nd hand info.   So I will try and track down the answer.   But I know I didn't see any individual stats during last game and didn't notice any at CSU game.

48 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

I can confirm that the individual stats were shown at both games so far but I can't remember exactly when and for how long.

The plot thickens. 

I received another confirmation on the nixing of individual stats.  I hope this doesn't turn into "StatGate."  I personally prefer having the overall stats displayed more than the individual...but I'm sure Skip Zip will have the opposite point of view :rolleyes:

Edited by NWAkron

For anyone who was driven to drink by the 2016-17 Zips guard's ole' defense...you have to be loving Duvivier's defensive footwork. Not only is he physically big...he does a great job of getting to the spot before the offensive player. 

He's fast become my favorite Zip. Beyond the defense, his confidence in his own offensive game is awesome. No hesitation on his jumper when he has space, and drives the lane when it's open. Love him.

Malcom's experience will come in handy for Rd 1 of the Diamond Head Classic come Dec. 22.  He's the only team member who's ever played the Trojans of Southern Cal.  Looked, but unfortunately, Oregon State has erased his statistical record from their site.  

7 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Malcom's experience will come in handy for Rd 1 of the Diamond Head Classic come Dec. 22.  He's the only team member who's ever played the Trojans of Southern Cal.  Looked, but unfortunately, Oregon State has erased his statistical record from their site.  

2013-14 Game Log

2014-15 Game Log

2015-16 Game Log

It's a two hour game, and there are multiple state-of-the-art scoreboards. You can display both. 

In both games they were displayed periodically, and generally only during timeouts.  The cadence isn't exactly figured out I don't think, but you can probably bet that you won't see them showing player stats during live action.  Coaching staff decision, as I understand it.

5 minutes ago, Zip Watcher said:

In both games they were displayed periodically, and generally only during timeouts.  The cadence isn't exactly figured out I don't think, but you can probably bet that you won't see them showing player stats during live action.  Coaching staff decision, as I understand it.

Pretty lame imo

39 minutes ago, Zip Watcher said:

I never saw individual player stats the entire UT Martin game. Maybe I just looked at the wrong time?

Game 1 I noticed them multiple times.

Guess we'll see how it evolves as the season progresses...