Game 12—Golden Flashes @ Zips

zippy5

15 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Explain then?  He was benched & lost position & later in that season was hit by a wild pitch in the head & was almost killed, i think i got it & added to it

Pipp is considered to be one of the best power hitters of the dead ball era.[1] Pipp is now best remembered as the man who lost his starting role to Lou Gehrig at the beginning of Gehrig's streak of 2,130 consecutive games. According to a popular legend, Pipp asked to sit due to a headache.

According to the most popular version of the story, Pipp showed up at Yankee Stadium that day with a severe headache, and asked the team's trainer for two aspirin. Miller Huggins, the Yankees' manager, noticed this, and said "Wally, take the day off. We'll try that kid Gehrig at first today and get you back in there tomorrow." Gehrig played well and became the Yankees' new starting first baseman. This story first appeared in a 1939 New York World-Telegram on Gehrig's career, in which Pipp was interviewed. Pipp was later quoted to have said, "I took the two most expensive aspirin in history."

But I know there are other stories out there, the bottom line is he took the day off for whatever reason, and the kid got his job.

7 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

This shouldn't even be a decision.  I take it soemwhere you saw or heard it was over?  There is no way in hell I'd let TW start, and even if it is Senior Night, if he comes and participates with his family - fine.  But Kato should start, and the players I think would back that.  I know nothing about how any of the players feel about this, or how they feel about Kato, but boy, that would take a lot of air out pof my sails to see TW as the starter vs. KSU.

Agree! the future is now.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between 2005 and 2017? In 2005 the Zips lost their third to last game and most everyone thought they were out of the running for the East title. That third to last game was also their last road game on the schedule. The Zips then went on to win their last two games at home to win the East. Those last two opponents were Ohio and Can't State both at home with the clincher being the win over KSU (in a snowstorm) in the finale. I don't predict a snowstorm but how ironic is the similarity in the scheduling?

Edited by GJGood

17 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Interesting stat I noticed last night...you guys already probably know it.....we are 6 - 0 when we lead at the half.  Let's get on those Still-suckers early and often then!

I missed the stat but I did wonder if we had lost any games when we were leading at the half, because I could not remember any.

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

Has anyone noticed the similarity between 2005 and 2017? In 2005 the Zips lost their third to last game and most everyone thought they were out of the running for the East title. That third to last game was also their last road game on the schedule. The Zips then went on to win their last two games at home to win the East. Those last two opponents were Ohio and Can't State both at home with the clincher being the win over KSU (in a snowstorm) in the finale. I don't predict a snowstorm but how ironic is the similarity in the scheduling?

Does this mean the Zips can only win the MAC East once every 12 years? :P

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

Very interesting.  I didn't realize that each of the last 2 game mirrored the 2005 games.  

I can add this also:  I know we didn't have a scenario where we just needed to win the last 2 games that year.  Some other losses helped us over those last few weeks, and we were fortunate to find that the Kent game was going to get us into the championship game.  

For quite some time now, we've known that an OU win and Kent win would get us in.  That should have allowed the campus and community to start building some excitement leading up to these two games.  I sure hope that crossing over the OU hurdle will help.  We've got 6 days to get a lot of people on board with the idea that we're going to Detroit for the first time in 12 years.  

1.  Kent sucks.  Given.

2.  This is a rivalry game, the team needs to get up and not take this jalopy of a football team for an easy W.

Examining the Kent/CMU box score illustrates this.  Kent outgained CMU on offense 494 to 450.  They actually had a shot to get this to a one possession game in the 4th quarter before some boneheaded coaching decisions and/or execution took them from 1st and goal at the CMU 1 to 4th and goal from the 34 (turnover on downs).  Kent was also -1 in the turnover battle.  Bollas, who seems to have been at Kent for 12 years, appears to be getting better at running the spread.  He completed 15 passes to 7 different receivers, for 11.1 ypc.  He's no Tom Brady, but he doesn't look lost like every other Kent game I've seen him tossing in. 

I will gladly eat crow from my OU game thread posts.  I was yelling from my couch.  I should've been there.  On that note, I've got my tickets and I'll be bringing a couple folks with me Tuesday.  GO ZIPS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1