Wisconsin Badgers

Badgers are no bargain!  I would almost rather play Irish again.  Wisconsin are big and physical.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/index.aspx?path=msoc

#10 Chris Mueller is BiG10 Offensive POTY.  He is the real deal, a future professional.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5210&path=msoc

not sure where to place this...the MAC is #3 for teams left in the sweet 16

also, Louisville hosts Colgate Sunday at 5 pm...so the zips/Wisconsin (duh.....just being polite....we know the winner already)....winner will have an extra day's rest

Sweet 16 by conference.
4: ACC – Wake Forest, North Carolina, Duke, Louisville
3: Big Ten – Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsin
2: MAC – Akron, Western Michigan
1: PAC-12 (Stanford), Big East (Butler), American (SMU), Patriot (Colagte), Sun Belt (Coastal Carolina), America East (New Hampshire), Atlantic 10 (Fordham)

Eight former national champions, two more teams that have been to the Final Four. Will be interesting to see if there is a newbie at the College Cup this year.

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

not sure where to place this...the MAC is #3 for teams left in the sweet 16

also, Louisville hosts Colgate Sunday at 5 pm...so the zips/Wisconsin (duh.....just being polite....we know the winner already)....winner will have an extra day's rest

Sweet 16 by conference.
4: ACC – Wake Forest, North Carolina, Duke, Louisville
3: Big Ten – Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsin
2: MAC – Akron, Western Michigan
1: PAC-12 (Stanford), Big East (Butler), American (SMU), Patriot (Colagte), Sun Belt (Coastal Carolina), America East (New Hampshire), Atlantic 10 (Fordham)

Eight former national champions, two more teams that have been to the Final Four. Will be interesting to see if there is a newbie at the College Cup this year.

What's the percentage breakdown on Sweet 16 by Conference vs. Number of Teams in the Tournament by Conference?

Pretty easy (or hard, actually) for the ACC to (only) get 4 into the Sweet 16 when 99% of the conference got into the tournament... :rolleyes:

I like this match-up. A big name, B1G opponent to garner local interest and a team for which we do not lead the all-time series (1-2-0). In all my years following Zips soccer, I don't recall us playing Wisconsin. That said, they will be tough. They have a knack for grinding out victories, especially of late and on the road. Playing our game at home, we should win. I'm saying 2-0 Zips. The only way we don't win is if Wisconsin is super physical and chops the game up and maybe gets a gritty goal off of a mistake. I really don't see them dominating possession or breaking us down through the run of play.

Great to see WMU doing well to advance. I think they will win their next game against Albany too. Good for them, and good for the MAC.

Go Colgate!

3 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I like this match-up. A big name, B1G opponent to garner local interest and a team for which we do not lead the all-time series (1-2-0). In all my years following Zips soccer, I don't recall us playing Wisconsin. That said, they will be tough. They have a knack for grinding out victories, especially of late and on the road. Playing our game at home, we should win. I'm saying 2-0 Zips. The only way we don't win is if Wisconsin is super physical and chops the game up and maybe gets a gritty goal off of a mistake. I really don't see them dominating possession or breaking us down through the run of play.

Great to see WMU doing well to advance. I think they will win their next game against Albany too. Good for them, and good for the MAC.

Go Colgate!

WMU already defeated Albany. They are now facing Michigan State at East Lansing. WMU lost once to MSU at Kalamazoo earlier this season.

4 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

WMU already defeated Albany. They are now facing Michigan State at East Lansing. WMU lost once to MSU at Kalamazoo earlier this season.

Correct. A total oversight on my part.

I like WMU's chances. MSU is good, but not great.

It's really hard to beat the same team twice in one season. That's another reason I'm glad to see Wisconsin rather than ND.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Thanks 1

Wisconsin is a tough match-up, they are up to #10 in the Massey ratings (Zips hold at #4):

https://www.masseyratings.com/csoc/ncaa-d1/ratings

Wisconsin will likely play a grind-it-out defensive style. The Zips will need to breakthrough and score in RT.

Weather forecast:  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Rain favors the Badgers, IMO. So I hope it stays dry.

Edited by SBZipfan

I just noticed that WMU is at MSU on Saturday at 6 pm. Did MSU add lights at DeMartin this season or are they playing elsewhere?

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, SBZipfan said:

Wisconsin is a tough match-up, they are up to #10 in the Massey ratings (Zips hold at #4):

Wisconsin will likely play a grind-it-out defensive style. The Zips will need to breakthrough and score in RT.

Weather forecast:  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Badgers are happy for a sloppy field and cold temperatures .  We may luck out and have neither.  I also agree that Wisconsin and Stanford are teams who WANT to go to PKs.  Did you see Wisconsin GK bury his PK vs. Indiana?

23 minutes ago, SBZipfan said:

Pretty cool...

https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=296546&t0=Akron&h=0&s1=296546&t1=University+of+Wisconsin

• Like 1

DavidEgbo puts one off the UW crossbar late in the half, but can't convert.  Into the half all tied-up.  I think we have our hands full today.  Very capable and confident opponent.  Need to continue this attack we showed the last 10 mins of half no 1.