Game 3—Dayton Flyers

Zipmeister

Dayton is beatable this year.  New coach and many new players.  Right now they are 2 and 2.

If you want to experience "big time" basketball crowd first hand you should make this trip.

These guys drew 12,000 a game when they were lousy back in the 90s; expect 13K loud fans.

Last time Akron was in town I recall several members of Zip nation secured tickets up in the nose-bleed sections while seats in the first few rows right behind the visitors bench (always reserved for the visiting teams fans) went empty.  I would guess these are the seats that you could get if you buy tickets through UofA.  No reason you shouldn't fill them up.

(special added bonus: Zipmeister will be sitting a couple rows behind you).

Go Zips

I watched some of the Ohio/Dayton game a few days ago. Probably looking at our first loss here, but maybe its something we can pull off.

Giannis' (not even going to try to spell the name) little brother plays for them and he seems like a pretty talented player. They say he is the best shooter out of all of them (4 brothers), but he seemed to play close to the basket mostly from what I saw. Huge and athletic frame, just like his brother.

I had planned on going to this game.  It's a nice overnight getaway from the Akron area.  Nice hotels in Dayton on Hotwire for $75ish. 

I had some family decide to come into town unexpectedly and at the last minute, so I guess I'll be listening via 1350.  Surprising there's no TV for this.  If Ball State can come a buzzer beater away from winning at UD, we should at least have a shot. 

26 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I had planned on going to this game.  It's a nice overnight getaway from the Akron area.  Nice hotels in Dayton on Hotwire for $75ish. 

I had some family decide to come into town unexpectedly and at the last minute, so I guess I'll be listening via 1350.  Surprising there's no TV for this.  If Ball State can come a buzzer beater away from winning at UD, we should at least have a shot. 

http://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/basketball201718/3#.WhLs9VWnHIU

FSOHIO according to this fyi

image.png

57 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I watched some of the Ohio/Dayton game a few days ago. Probably looking at our first loss here, but maybe its something we can pull off.

Giannis' (not even going to try to spell the name) little brother plays for them and he seems like a pretty talented player. They say he is the best shooter out of all of them (4 brothers), but he seemed to play close to the basket mostly from what I saw. Huge and athletic frame, just like his brother.

I think the word "probably" is too strong here in terms of our first loss. Dayton is 2-2 with a 1 pt win over Ball State, and losses to Hofstra and Old Dominion. 

This is going to be an interesting game. Dayton is in a similar position as Akron, but with a stronger tradition and foundation in place. It will be interesting to see how our young Zips play on the road for the first time, especially in a typically nasty environment. 

31 minutes ago, mivid12 said:

Interesting.  It doesn't show up on the FSGO app yet.  I hope that is correct.  Though, I'm not sure what Fox College Sports Central is, or it's just a possible feed for FSOhio to pick up.

Edit:  It is there, so that's good news.  A search for "Akron Zips" yields nothing, a search for "Akron" shows the game at 7pm.

Edited by RowdyZip
  • Like 1

Just noticed that UD beat the Bobkitties by 14 on a neutral court in Charleston.   This will be a very good measuring stick for our expected conference performance. 

If anything, this season will be impossible to predict.  I wouldn't be shocked if we won this game, I also wouldn't be shocked if we lost by 20.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:18 AM, Dr Z said:

Does that nean the game is on FoxSports1?  I haven't checked.  I do have Fox Sports Central on my cable sports plan here.  They've been showing Ashland (soccer) and Mount Union football, amazingly.  And Bowden's coaches show was on once this season.

10 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Does that nean the game is on FoxSports1?  I haven't checked.  I do have Fox Sports Central on my cable sports plan here.  They've been showing Ashland (soccer) and Mount Union football, amazingly.  And Bowden's coaches show was on once this season.

Just watched the Cavs game and they showed that the Dayton - Akron game was going to be on Fox Sports Ohio...FSOH?  Anyway, on my Direct TV it's like channel 660

11 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Just watched the Cavs game and they showed that the Dayton - Akron game was going to be on Fox Sports Ohio...FSOH?  Anyway, on my Direct TV it's like channel 660

Yeah, I saw a tweet from Dayton MBB that said it will be on Fox Sports Ohio. It's channel 660 on Directv for standard definition or 660-1 for HD.

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

The Greek kid averages < 4.5 ppg.

in 15 minutes per game.  He's green, but those in the know say that he's a better shooter than his brother.  Hope he doesn't pick tomorrow to prove that. also averaging 1.8 blocks.  Reminds me of an early version of Zeke with better offensive skills.

I really appreciated that podcast.  Thank you for posting.  I liked the forthright nature of the commentary.  Akron so far is doing some things really well but is horrible stopping points in the paint.  I also didn't know the entire Utomi recruiting story.  Kudos to the prior coaching staff for snatching him up!     I gather we all don't know what to expect tonight

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I really appreciated that podcast.  Thank you for posting.  I liked the forthright nature of the commentary.  Akron so far is doing some things really well but is horrible stopping points in the paint.  I also didn't know the entire Utomi recruiting story.  Kudos to the prior coaching staff for snatching him up!     I gather we all don't know what to expect tonight

Agreed. What also stood out was Dayton doesn't exactly know what to expect either - both from Akron and themselves. 

This should be a fun game. Would love to steal one in Dayton!

Well, after 8 minutes I see two differences with Team Groce.  Tenacious defense underneath by the undersized bigs.  And no way would Keith have called that time out after Dayton's run.  He didn't like calling timeouts during run-of-play.

Edited by Z.I.P.
  • Like 2