MAC Championship—Rockets vs Zips @ Ford Field

LZIp

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Since we beat Ohio and Ohio best Toledo and couple that with the extra four days of rest...should be no problem for the Zips :rolleyes:

I wish. But stranger things have happened. Keep the positive Thoughts coming. We need them and it can happen. :champs:

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I wish. But stranger things have happened. Keep the positive Thoughts coming. We need them and it can happen. :champs:

It happened in 2005 against Northern Illinois.  We weren't won't supposed to win that one either.  I have a copy of that game (and the following SportsCenter) on my PC that I pulled off my Dish DVR.  I was watching some of it the other day.  Never gets old.

3 hours ago, zipsrule said:

They must have completely melted by now.

You can catch the meltdown here.  They were expecting to stomp Buffalo (despite opening as 3.5 point favorites).  Its funny to read the posts where they think they are Ohio STATE playing against inferior MAC opponents.

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=1&ForumPID=6&PID=248251

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

I think that Kato at QB changes things. It's a different offense with the threat of a QB who can scramble. We'll still be big underdogs, but we have 3 extra days of rest on them and they have to completely re-evaluate Akron's film while we can mostly refine our gameplan.

I hope your right, i hope they paid attention to OU vs. TU game, OU ran all over them with the option & when they concentrated on stopping that they killed them up the gut.  I think with Kato we could put a similar package in that would completely surprise them

My head tells me we lose by 2 scores. I said it before and I'll say it again, last game got away from us quickly and we just don't have the offensive firepower to keep up. I don't think they are really 4 scores better than us. We can't let them drive down our throats multiple times in the first quarter.

The wildcard I think is Kato and how Coach Amato adjusts his game plan this time around. An adjusted game plan on D could help, but this isn't OU or WMU who are one dimensional teams. Toledo can beat you on the ground or through the air.

Assuming he gets the start, Kato brings a bit of a different dimension to the offense with his running ability. The real key is which Kato we will get. The Miami game and Kent game (outside of the first drive) were not very good, and obviously the OU game was pretty great. If we get OU Kato then we have a chance to win. May be asking a lot for a freshman, but its just the reality when the offense isn't really filled with exceptional skill players to help him out. Someone said we probably made the championship a year too early and I agree with that. We need to play our best game if we want to beat Toledo. Sidenote: I cannot believe a program like theirs has not been to the championship game longer than us!

Edited by LZIp

19 hours ago, msopher said:

We’re going to beat you guys by 3 td’s!!!  

Oh yeah????  Well, our women’s swimming and diving team is gonna beat yours by over 100 points next weekend, in the Zippy Invitational, so there!!

Think you can troll us, do ya?  HAH!  :P

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zipsrule said:

It happened in 2005 against Northern Illinois.  We weren't won't supposed to win that one either.  I have a copy of that game (and the following SportsCenter) on my PC that I pulled off my Dish DVR.  I was watching some of it the other day.  Never gets old.

I would love to have a copy of that!

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Football 101: Stop the Run, Stop the Run, Stop the Run.

If Woodside beats us with his arm then tip our hats to him.

You may be right, but I would do everything possible to screw with Woodside. Blitz 8 to 10 times from all over the place. Make them run with a back and we bend and not break. I hope Kato is ready as I agree with many on this site that he had cobwebs after that takedown last week. He needs to learn how not to take a hit. We can beat Toledo. Target Wolf more and blow up the Rockets.            

Edited by UA1987

You’re going to have to shutdown the run and force Woodside to throw much of the game while pressuring him nearly every series.  Both Miami and Ohio were successful in that areas.

Youll probably have to score 40 points to win which is possible against Toledo’s defense but they have improved quite a bit.  We are more susceptible against the run than pass.

i just think with the game being indoors and in front of a large Toledo contingent that we will score often.  Unless, of course, Woodside gets injured...

But, major props beating Ohio and getting here.  If you guys were playing anyone but my Rockets I’d be pulling for you.  I did some graduate work at Akron so I do have a soft spot for the university.

Edited by msopher
  • Like 1

I think it's fair to say this team has beat all of our expectations and overcome odds that we did not believe possible, so why not the MAC Championship?

This is an excellent opportunity for us to use both QBs. Kato seems to be working with a limited playbook and not yet up to working through his progressions to hit his second and third targets. Use Woody to work the offense and Kato in spurts to pick up the pace. Kato only had 6 completions last week. We need better to win.

As far as defense goes, it isn't the same defense that played Toledo last time, yet it is not the 2015 defense, either. I would also force Woodside to win with his arm. He is good for 2 picks, which we should be able to convert to points. I feel that our DBs have gone from good to great and our DBs are up for the challenge.

4 hours ago, UA1987 said:

You may be right, but I would do everything possible to screw with Woodside. Blitz 8 to 10 times from all over the place. Make them run with a back and we bend and not break. I hope Kato is ready as I agree with many on this site that he had cobwebs after that takedown last week. He needs to learn how not to take a hit. We can beat Toledo. Target Wolf more and blow up the Rockets.            

I also agree with this. We got in Rourke's head and would love to do the same to Woodside. I do not care who catches the ball, as long as we make catches. I loved the late season pressure on the QB. Let's keep it up.

We don't look good on paper, but there is not stat for wanting it more than the other team. This team has gutted its way to beating BG, WM, and Ohio, as well as retaining the Wagon Wheel. It's not a mistake or fluke we are here. 

• Like 1

Akron is not going to beat Toledo in the same way Ohio did as the kitty's had an unbelievable ground game that day, but the Zips may keep it close and have a chance to win like Eastern did earlier in the year. Eastern was able to have a chance to win as their defense was in the Toledo backfield causing havoc most of the game. Maybe Coach Gildersleeve can get this team blazing again like he did against Ohio and we can spend most of the day chopping Wood-side.