MAC Championship—Rockets vs Zips @ Ford Field

LZIp

The Zips needed to play a near perfect game to beat Toledo.  With the questionable sideline decisions, awful special teams, iffy play calling and mistakes, they were far from perfect.    Good to see they're salvaging a little respect in the second half, but I still have to ask myself "is this as good as it gets?"

• Like 2

Overall, this game and the outcome is what I expected. Toledo simply has more talent than we do. I like the direction of the progrum and think we will get to Toledo's level in the next two seasons or so. The building has been slow, but the winning small has begun and the MACC was a wonderful next step (and finally beating BUGS and the BoobKitties to get there). The seniors have a lot to be proud of.

I liked that even though down big, the team was still playing hard and believing. Equally important, it looked like our guys were still having fun in spite of the score. That's a dramatic change from the iCoach era when it looked as if most players wanted to be anywhere other than on the field.

I can't help but wonder how keeping the TD on the board in the first quarter rather than having it called back due to penalty would have changed the game. The turnover right after the UA TD and the recovered fumble with about ten minutes left in the fourth really hurt too. I thought we may had been in the midst of an epic comeback, but then Toledo took the next play to the endzone. Good teams can turn it on to close out a game. Toledo is a good team.

In spite of all the points, the defense still forced Toledo to turn the ball over a lot. I think they would have fared much better had our offense not had so many 3-and-outs in the first three quarters. Why did we not open up the offensive playbook until the fourth quarter?...Way too conservative for a championship game!

Woodson is a statue at times and Nelson holds the ball too long. Was great to see Kelley getting some time at the end. For a third stringer in the MAC, he ran the offense well and was confident and accurate. The future at QB is bright with Nelson and Kelley. They bring very different abilities to the offense, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them both getting time next year.

I think we'll get an interesting venue and opponent for our bowl game. I also think if we tidy things up a bit from today that we'll have our second bowl victory in three years.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I think they would have faired much better had our offense not had so many 3-and-outs in the first three quarters. Why did we not open up the offensive playbook until the fourth quarter?...Way too conservative for a championship game!

I think the plan on offense was to play conservative ball, minimize risk and try and keep the score close. We were never going to win an all out air war vs. the Rockets, but yeah it was frustrating not seeing things clicking. Kato is prone to mistakes but that's understandable given his inexperience. The receivers overall did not have a great game today. Oh well. But overall I feel pretty good about the direction of the team.   

1 hour ago, Bruce Willis Drummond said:

Rodat Nelson.  Look him up before it disappears.

You guys all have to go look at what he posted today.  Very entertaining.

23 minutes ago, lance99 said:

At least San Diego is better than Bosie...

Camelia Bowl is in Montgomery, but still much nicer than Boise this time of year.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You guys all have to go look at what he posted today.  Very entertaining.

Camelia Bowl is in Montgomery, but still much nicer than Boise this time of year.  

Sorry about that. Wrong local...