MAC Championship—Rockets vs Zips @ Ford Field

LZIp

12 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Kato Nelson is Akron's X factor  

-by EA of the PD

"We've seen a lot of things they did against us when we did play them,'' Nelson said. "The biggest thing for us will be hitting our key matchups, getting the ball where we need it to be, and making the plays we need." Akron's practices this week have all been inside, prepping for playing in the dome, and with three things in mind, according to Bowden; "Work hard, have fun, stay focused. They have had some good practices,'' he said. And just like Nelson said he is ready, Bowden proclaims his entire team is ready, loaded with fodder from the newspapers and social media about the suddenly invincible Rockets. "They're hearing from everybody how this team is going to run all over them,'' Bowden said of Toledo.

IMO, the staff seems to get the team motivated by adversity. I might have been one of the few Zip fans that wanted Toledo favored by a lot. 

kato001.jpg

I hope Kato is the X factor, because if he struggles, we are toast. I browsed the Toledo fan board last night and they seem unsure of their defense's ability to contain a dual threat QB.  FWIW, their fan bases comments were among the most reasonable opposing fan comments I have ever seen and they do not disrespect us.

I still wonder if Bowden is not letting everyone think Kato is the guy and we see Tommy Woodson trot out on to the field. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I still wonder if Bowden is not letting everyone think Kato is the guy and we see Tommy Woodson trot out on to the field. 

I would be slightly surprised to see him start, since given the chance, he did not during senior night. It wouldn't surprise me to see him enter the game at some point though. I would guess Kato's success will have to do with him hitting the long sideline pass when the safety moves up to support the run. He did a great job of it against OU. Will this be the game we see Tra throw a pass? I have a feeling we will see a gadget play we have not run yet. 

• Like 1

I think since Kato played the entire Kent game, that would be a signal from the coaching staff that they intend for this to be Kato's job, unless he falters.

In my opinion, if there was any thought that Woodson could see action at any time during the remainder of the season, you should have given him plenty of playing time or started him last week.  I can't think that it would be wise under most circumstance to send a QB out there in a conference championship game who hasn't played since October.   

But regardless, there won't be anything we can do offensively that will probably make a difference if Toledo once again throws for over 300 yards and rushes for 7 yards per carry.   

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I think since Kato played the entire Kent game, that would be a signal from the coaching staff that they intend for this to be Kato's job, unless he falters.

In my opinion, if there was any thought that Woodson could see action at any time during the remainder of the season, you should have given him plenty of playing time or started him last week.  I can't think that it would be wise under most circumstance to send a QB out there in a conference championship game who hasn't played since October.   

But regardless, there won't be anything we can do offensively that will probably make a difference if Toledo once again throws for over 300 yards and rushes for 7 yards per carry.   

Well, hopefully our offense can stay on the field enough to give the D a chance to be effective. Bowden mentioned, somewhere, (can't remember where) that Woodson has been practicing well. Not saying I think he starts, but believe it is not outside of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Has anyone received info regarding their tickets yet? The rep told me I would receive all kinds of info, but I haven't gotten any emails yet. Hopefully he didn't write it down wrong!

I didn't receive anything either and was going to call. A fellow season ticket holder who hadn't ordered tickets yet received an email with this info.

YOU can join our bus trip and be with your Zips as they storm the field to victory for an all-inclusive price of just $60!

This price includes your game ticket, round-trip transportation, and other trip expenses.

This UA Alumni Association and Athletics sponsored trip will get booked on a first-come, first-served basis until sold out. Reservations can ONLY be made through the Zips Athletics ticket office by registering in person, by calling or texting 888-99-AKRON, or clicking the tickets button below. There is an additional option to add a pregame party at Ford Field as well. Don’t delay, contact us today, so you don’t miss this great opportunity to be part of the action as your Zips play in Detroit!

The UA chartered buses will depart promptly at 6:30 am from the JAR on Saturday, December 2 and return on the same day. You can park in any surrounding lot except for Lot 2 next to the JAR.

All trip participants will be required to show their valid ID upon loading on the bus. In addition, you must must provide a cell phone number that will be used during the trip. Most importantly, get decked out in your Zips gear and show your Akron Pride at Ford Field!

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns please contact the Zips Athletics office at tickets@uakron.edu or call or text 888-99-AKRON.

5:30 am
     JAR doors open for bus travel check-in
5:45 – 6:15 am
     Check-in in JAR lobby (Bring your ID)
6:15 – 6:30 am
     Buses load and depart from JAR on Carroll Street
10:00 am (approx.)
     Arrival in Detroit, MI (Ford Field)
10:30 am
     Doors to Ford Field open
     Pregame Party in Hall of Legends opens
12:00 pm
     Kickoff - 2017 Marathon MAC Football Championship Game
3:30 pm (approx.)
     Check-in at the buses at the conclusion of the game
     (Same location where you departed from your bus)
4:00 pm (approx.)
     Bus departs Detroit (Ford Field) to Akron (JAR)
     30 min. after the conclusion of the game
7:30 pm (approx.)
     Buses arrives on UA Main Campus, JAR, 373 Carroll Street.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

Has anyone received info regarding their tickets yet? The rep told me I would receive all kinds of info, but I haven't gotten any emails yet. Hopefully he didn't write it down wrong!

@LZIp - I called Monday and they said that they'd be emailing with info but I haven't received anything yet.

The rep stated that they would have their allotment of tickets and then the seating assignments based on Z-Fund points by Thursday and would then have the tickets at InfoCision.

I told them I would not be able to pick them up on campus as I live out of state and they told me that any tickets not picked up would be available at the Ford Field Will-Call on Saturday morning.

• Like 1

http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=479 - Toledo Rockets board. They have a very annoying habit to starting a new thread for every news article and every thought that occurs to them, instead of a single game thread for an opponent. I think that discourages conversation and makes it difficult to find which thread you're supposed to post in.

8 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=479 - Toledo Rockets board. They have a very annoying habit to starting a new thread for every news article and every thought that occurs to them, instead of a single game thread for an opponent. I think that discourages conversation and makes it difficult to find which thread you're supposed to post in.

Sounds like bobcatattack as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

"Akron is, no matter how you look at it, not a “great” football team. A win Saturday pushes the imagination to conjure up what exactly a great Akron team might be capable of."

I like that observation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

"Akron is, no matter how you look at it, not a “great” football team. A win Saturday pushes the imagination to conjure up what exactly a great Akron team might be capable of."

I like that observation.

I think this article articulated what has befuddled pretty much everyone, all year. At some point, people, including Zips fans may have to come to terms with the idea that the team and coaching staff was more talented than anyone realized.

19 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I think this article articulated what has befuddled pretty much everyone, all year. At some point, people, including Zips fans may have to come to terms with the idea that the team and coaching staff was more talented than anyone realized.

27 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

A win Saturday pushes the imagination to conjure up what exactly a great Akron team might be capable of.

You know, our defense is really young in that we'll return a lot of key starters on that side of the ball. The Zips' ability to win some games people discounted them is a direct result of this defense really holding up their end of the bargain. Sure, as fans we want to see 40+ points by a prolific offense because it's exciting but I would think going into next year the defense will be one of the better units in the MAC - '85 Bears!!

Offensively, it really hurt us to lose Ball early and our running game wasn't nearly as dynamic as everyone expected it to be with him carrying the load but the other guys have stepped in admirably and effectively by committee.

I think we've found some young guys to contribute on offense too and going into next year, I'm very excited about the makeup of this team. I really think they can make some serious noise next year if we get a few pieces figured out on offense and some of the young guys can step up. OL is probably the position groups where we lose the most starters without having seen some of the younger guys and what they can do. WR I would have said coming into the year would be a challenge for next year, but we've seen some young guys get playing time and play well with limited opportunities.

I can't imagine any 2018 OL guys would be ready to play as true freshmen, but we did have some 2017 OL guys that looked impressive.

Can it just be #ZipsGameDay already??

Edited by CDMac
  • Like 1