MAC Championship—Rockets vs Zips @ Ford Field

LZIp

6 minutes ago, CDMac said:

I can't imagine any 2018 OL guys would be ready to play as true freshmen, but we did have some 2017 OL guys that looked impressive.

Can it just be #ZipsGameDay already??

Brandon Council, who is a R-Fr has done a really nice job and Kyle Ritz, who probably leads the OL will be back. I think Richie Kallay and Hunter Corne also show some promise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zipsoutsider said:

Brandon Council, who is a R-Fr has done a really nice job 

Oh geeze, my eyes are worse than I thought. I thought Council was a senior... DUH me!

I better go back and look at that roster again... I thought we were losing 4 of the 5 to graduation. 

Just put me on ignore :P

I agree, I think Council has been outstanding!

In that case, maybe the OL isn't as much of a "rebuild" as I was thinking. They'll still have to get that chemistry working as a unit but definite upside.

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Hustlebelt finally decided to rank us above teams we have beat.

2017 MAC Football Power Rankings: End of Regular Season

"Terry Bowden has done an outstanding job rebuilding this program since he took over."

I agree. I was really down on Coach Bowden earlier in the season, but it's pretty special seeing how this team has gelled, battled through adversity and injuries to significant players and, most importantly, how bright the future looks for this young team!

• Like 1

I think our defense needs to show us one more thing.  Can they contain an offense that can do a lot of things well?

12 years ago, we all sat here in the same position.  An underdog against a team that could score on the ground and through the air.  That night, they lit us up, but our offense was on fire that night, and was able to keep pace.  

We'll need performances like we had against OU on the offensive side of the ball once again, unless this game takes a very unexpected course.  

Edited by skip-zip

Nice chance to basically free tickets if you spend $50 on Zips gear. 

• Like 1

Some nice analysis...not the last stuff we often see from drive-by (or couch) reporters.

MAC Championship Game Preview and Prediction: Akron vs. Toledo

"... 10 different Zips have intercepted at least one pass this season and they no doubt would love to add to their total on Saturday...."

"While the regular-season matchup between Toledo and Akron might have appeared one-sided, it was a first-quarter eruption that put the Rockets ahead 21-0 13 minutes into the game and Toledo was off to the races. From that point on, however, the Rockets only outscored the Zips by six points over the final three quarters, so Akron to its credit kept pace with Toledo’s potent offense the rest of the way."

Bowden did not put it quite this plainly, but he has mentioned that the fact te game got away from them so early skewed the picture. I would be surprised if the same thing happened, again.

I finally see a money line on the game. Akron is getting ELEVEN to one. If anybody thinks Akron can win, you won't see odds like this often. 

MARATHON MAC FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TELECONFERENCE

Toledo Head Coach Jason Candle,  RB Terry Swanson, and  QB Logan Woodside

Terry Bowden "the best thing this team does is win"..."this team is special, I'm honored to coach them, and honored to be around them"

Ulysees Gilbert III  (talking about Kent game) "I just wanted to get our seniors two more games" (talking about Toledo) "I need to be disciplined, because they run a lot of RPOs, look at the lineman's head to see if it's run or pass"  (talking about Akron recruiting) "I heard about how good of linebacker coach coach Amato was"

A.J. Coney (talking about Kent game) "there was joy around the campus, not just team" (talking about your year) "I love my role" (talking about the transition at QB) "Kato won two state championships...he has been thrown into the fire" (talking about Toledo) "we need to play better" 

The Akron Athletic Dept. seems to be acting as if there was some kind of overwhelming demand for tix from Akron fans. There will be tons of TU fans at the game.They apparently still don't understand that only the diehards will go to Detroit. The rest will sit on their asses and watch a few minutes on TV. I remember in 2005, there were more people at the Motor City Bowl than at the MAC Championship game. The front runners will stay home. The AD needs to get its head out of their behinds when it comes to 'markerting' this program.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

The Akron Athletic Dept. seems to be acting as if there was some kind of overwhelming demand for tix from Akron fans. There will be tons of TU fans at the game.They apparently still don't understand that only the diehards will go to Detroit. The rest will sit on their asses and watch a few minutes on TV. I remember in 2005, there were more people at the Motor City Bowl than at the MAC Championship game. The front runners will stay home. The AD needs to get its head out of their behinds when it comes to 'markerting' this program.

Who cares??? They should be marketing it, no matter what the interest is.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Who cares??? They should be marketing it, no matter what the interest is.

Yup.

Akron vs. Toledo football: Willoughby South grad Kyle Ritz and Zips have shot at redemption in MAC title game

"When I committed, I came here not wanting to lose to Kent," said Ritz, who's grown into a 6-foot-5, 305-pound frame. "I also wanted to win a MAC title. To finish that, it would be huge. People want winners, and we want to change people's views of Akron football." 

""We're playing with a chip," he said. "We were picked pretty low (the MAC East) in the preseason, but we didn't believe that, and we want to keep defying the odds. We believe we're a different team since the last time we played (Toledo)."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

When is it?

It's today. I don't see any indication that it will be broadcast live, but that doesn't mean it is not. 

3:00-3:30 pm       Detroit Lions President, Rod Wood & MAC Commissioner, Dr. Jon Steinbrecher

3:30-4:00 pm       Toledo (West Division Champion) Press Conference

Toledo Head Coach Jason Candle; QB Logan Woodside; RB Terry Swanson

4:15-4:45 pm       Akron (East Division Champion) Press Conference

Akron Head Coach Terry Bowden; WR A.J. Coney; LB Ulysees Gilbert

• Like 2

This was actually my thought, too.

Edited by zipsoutsider