MAC Championship—Rockets vs Zips @ Ford Field

LZIp

Sooo... I was able to get off work last minute. What is the best way to get tickets? I called the ticket office in hopes of the off chance they would be able to help but no one answered so I left a message. In the mean time anyone have a bead on tickets?

Nothing on ticketmaster and only a couple options on stubhub.

Well, it’s almost go time.

Is this the biggest game in Zips history?  Obviously, a win would be an incredible shot in the arm for the program and that is definitely #1 on my wish list.  But if a win isn’t in the cards, I am hoping against hope the Zips can at least keep it respectable.  I hope they execute a well-conceived game plan keep mistakes to a minimum and look as competent as possible.  Looking ill-prepared, undisciplined and unworthy will not benefit the team going forward.

Please put it all together Zips!  We want an early Christmas present!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AKSportsFan said:

Sooo... I was able to get off work last minute. What is the best way to get tickets? I called the ticket office in hopes of the off chance they would be able to help but no one answered so I left a message. In the mean time anyone have a bead on tickets?

I'd just head to Detroit and buy the $20 tickets at the venue. Can't remember which section is the 'Akron section' but the box office people ought to be able to help with that. Huge stadium = plenty of tix available including in or near the Akron fans. Go Zips!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

I'd just head to Detroit and buy the $20 tickets at the venue. Can't remember which section is the 'Akron section' but the box office people ought to be able to help with that. Huge stadium = plenty of tix available including in or near the Akron fans. Go Zips!

I ended up just going to the Ford Field Page and got great seats on the 'Akron Side'. I highly recommend it to anyone still looking for tickets. Now for a hotel...

Edited by AKSportsFan

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Am I ?????? I'm starting to enjoy (be entertained)??????? @datRo23. ?⚡️????⚡️????⚡️

He could end up being a one man marketing machine. 

With the Heisman more than likely NEVER being awarded to an Akron player, maybe he can market a new Hiesman Award like Jackie Moon marketed the Flint Michigan Mega Bowl?

2 hours ago, AKSportsFan said:

You'll be able to get them at the stadium.  $20.

From the presser last night. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 6.43.09 AM.png

You guys have given up 600 yards of offense to these guys the last two times you've faced them. How do you somehow figure out how to stop these guys?  Coach Bowden: "They don't have any left, they've used up all their yardage. And we weren't the only team that gave up 600 yards to Toledo. They're an outstanding football team. You can't take their offense away. You've got to somehow find a way to play your best football and to lower that amount. And we know that Ohio lowered that amount, we know that Eastern Michigan lowered that amount, and one or two other teams might have lowered it some. I've said it all week that we got behind 21 points the first 12 minutes and after that we're trying to play catch-up with the most prolific team in the conference. That's not the game that we probably have a chance to win. So we've got to come out fast and play our best football in the first -- I know how these guys are going to play in the third and fourth quarter. We know how we're going to play in the end. We've got to come out fast and make sure we play our best football at the beginning, then they'll slow down."

Can you talk about Kato's play the last three weeks, and also, is he going to be your starter tomorrow? Coach Bowden: "We're not going to -- we've got two. Tommy Woodson made a mistake, we suspended him for a couple of games. He's eligible to play. He's ready to play. We could use two, we could use one, we could either. I don't think it's going to change the style of offense that we run. One's a little more agile running. The other is probably a little bit more experienced in getting rid of the football than the other. You know, they both played a lot of good football games, but unlike last year when we lost our first and second quarterback, we had to put a wide receiver at quarterback and we lost our last three games, maybe four games. But this year because of Kato being able to step in, it allowed us -- but he has played a little bit like a freshman. He'll take two steps forward, then he'll just -- first game he had a couple days to get ready as a starter and played a little bit apprehensive and then the second game he just relaxed and played football, four touchdown passes, 58 percent, no interceptions, no sacks against Ohio and had a very, very good day. I thought he was the best quarterback on the field that day. Last week -- I think last week -- I'll be honest with you, I think all of our guys because there was so much -- I was more tense last week than against Ohio. There was so much to lose. You didn't beat your rival. Six games may not get you into the bowl game. You're not going to get into the conference championship game and you could feel a little more tension. I felt a little more tension and a little more pressure, but I thought -- but Kato played very well. So every -- because he is a red-shirt freshman, every single play he plays he gets better. He gets more of a feel. But we have a chance to use both of our guys. Tommy Woodson knows that if he's called upon just to step in there and take a rep away or take a series away or to start the game, how we feel it's being played, I don't do that very often but I have done it before. I've had years where you had to have two guys really ready to play and you have to feel like who's throwing strikes and who's hitting the edges and get a feel for that."

What is it like playing for Coach Bowden? 

AJ Coney: "He's a great coach. Like I transferred from Weber State and when I was there there wasn't like a family as it was when I got here. So I could tell like that leadership, it came from the top. The leadership we have like as a captain and all that, it starts at the top. So it's been a pleasure playing for him." 

Ulysees Gilbert: "Like he said, it's been a pleasure. I came from high school. I didn't transfer or anything. Coming as a freshman, it was like a family atmosphere. A lot of guys are from Florida. A lot of guys are from different places and they just took me in. And for kids to do that, it has to come from the head coach. It was just a great opportunity to be coached by Coach Bowden, just a legendary coach, and I'm just honored to even be able to play for a Bowden and to be around the group of guys I was and I just know it came from him being the coach and then just trickled down."

I was just wondering, does this perception that you're huge underdogs bother you in the least? 

AJ Coney: "It does not actually because -- like I didn't even really know too much of how much we were underdogs or even that we were underdogs until everyone that's been talking to us has been pointing it out. We just go out every week and we have a motto on our team that's like 1 and 0. We don't think about anything else, the past or the future, none of that matters. Just matters -- like we've got to play on Saturday, we're going to have to play. Somebody's going to have to win. Somebody's going to have to lose. We don't think we're underdogs. We just go out and do what we've got to do. "

Ulysees Gilbert: "Like he said, we don't think about being underdogs. When you start to think about that kind of stuff and go into politics you overthink things and when you overthink things, you start to mess up in a game. So it's more like you just -- you just -- you don't try to pay attention to it. I mean it's just another game. We're just going to go out there and have fun with our brothers and when you have fun everything else just becomes easier. So the big underdog thing, I mean, at the same time that puts more pressure on them. We just out here playing football."

• Like 2