MAC Championship—Rockets vs Zips @ Ford Field

LZIp

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Any news on Alvin Davis? He was helped off the field & wasn't putting any weight on his ankle.

He seems to have a little bit of "Paul Pierce" in him?

Coming off the field you'd have thought he had a serious injury. But after a 10 minute break and a re-taping, he was doing sprints up and down the sidelines trying to convince the staff he could return to the game. 

I'm sure the ankle feels bad today, but I have to believe he's good to go for the 19th. Just my gut feeling. 

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

I think the loss of the big guy in the backfield really hurt. Ball was a real upgrade to the run game which statistically was pretty bad for the season. His presence would have helped Nelson or Woodson or whoever was at QB. It would have also helped a somewhat inconsistent O-line by giving defenses something they had to really respect. Now Bowden has to find a real threat at RB. And,he needs to shore up the O-line among other things. Hopefully,they will indeed have upgrades at WR. If he can find somebody,someway to 'coach up' Nelson,there should be improvement there. I am just not convinced that Milwee is the guy to 'coach up'  your QB's.

And,YES there will be expectations. Finally! Lets enjoy that!

Oh, I'm not saying that we wouldn't have been better.  I'm just saying that looking back at what we won and lost during conference play, those injuries would not have changed how we finished (with the exception of the Miami game).  We still would have been East Champs, outright.  

But again, I'm sure every team in the division would have been better if they didn't lose any key players to injury too.  It happens to everyone.  

On your other points:

- I hope Sands ends up being the breakaway back we need.

- I hope Milwee gets replaced (not holding my breath)

- Yes, the expectations will be nice.  I'm just warning about what it will do to the biggest Bowden detractors.  

5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Oh, I'm not saying that we wouldn't have been better.  I'm just saying that looking back at what we won and lost during conference play, those injuries would not have changed how we finished (with the exception of the Miami game).  We still would have been East Champs, outright.  

But again, I'm sure every team in the division would have been better if they didn't lose any key players to injury too.  It happens to everyone.  

On your other points:

- I hope Sands ends up being the breakaway back we need.

- I hope Milwee gets replaced (not holding my breath)

- Yes, the expectations will be nice.  I'm just warning about what it will do to the biggest Bowden detractors.  

Coaches and teams either embrace expectations and get motivated or coaches and teams shrink from the 'pressure'. Right now we know the coaches and teams in the MAC that improve with the expectation of getting better. So far I haven't seen that from this regime. If the coaching staff is 'scared' the players will be scared. 2018 is the critical year for this regime. I want to see if Bowden/Amato can coach like their reps depended on it. The first thing we will see or not see is if Bowden is willing to make some obvious changes to make this program beter. I am talking about coaches and position players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow...was that amazing to watch.  The Rockets, like the commentators referred to, did not look like they wanted to be there.  Appy did.  Impressive shutdown of Woodside.  So, which is more embarrassing, a team picked 4th in the MAC East, who got drilled in their Championship game, losing big to FAU, or a vaunted MAC Champion, 11-2, getting drilled 34-0 against a team that just came up to FBS 5 seasons ago?  Not maligning Toledo, they were/are a very good team, but this may have been more embarrassing than losing badly when you came in 22+ point underdogs to begin with?  At least we scored....

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

No but this, in my opinion, adds to the case against Bowden.

:rofl:

Zips don't make it to MACH Championship, FIRE BOWDEN!  Zips make it to MAC Championship for the first tim in 12 years, FIRE BOWDEN!  

Y'all are starting to sound like a broken record.

37 minutes ago, Balsy said:

:rofl:

Zips don't make it to MACH Championship, FIRE BOWDEN!  Zips make it to MAC Championship for the first tim in 12 years, FIRE BOWDEN!  

Y'all are starting to sound like a broken record.

Thread about an extension for Bowden... A post that didn't include the word or a variation of the word "fire"... Not seeing where you got that from.

I thought Toledo was supposed to be head and shoulders above any team that FAU played? So if they are, and we got blown out by both, then Toledo got blown out by App State, where does that put Akron and the rest of the MAC?

4 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Thread about an extension for Bowden... A post that didn't include the word or a variation of the word "fire"... Not seeing where you got that from.

I thought Toledo was supposed to be head and shoulders above any team that FAU played? So if they are, and we got blown out by both, then Toledo got blown out by App State, where does that put Akron and the rest of the MAC?

How did I know that would be your response?

Don't play stupid lilroodude.  If you don't extend the coach's contract, what happens to the coach?  (they don't come back...aka FIRED).  Coach Paul Haynes was fired after Kent State didn't renew his contract.

A notch against extending his contract, is a notch for firing him.  Don't be stupid.  You anti-bowden people are becoming unbearable.

6 hours ago, Balsy said:

How did I know that would be your response?

Don't play stupid lilroodude.  If you don't extend the coach's contract, what happens to the coach?  (they don't come back...aka FIRED).  Coach Paul Haynes was fired after Kent State didn't renew his contract.

A notch against extending his contract, is a notch for firing him.  Don't be stupid.  You anti-bowden people are becoming unbearable.

A vote for no extension right now is a vote to let him coach the final year of his contract and go from there.

7 hours ago, lilroodude said:

A vote for no extension right now is a vote to let him coach the final year of his contract and go from there.

Which is, by extension of the logical progression of that idea, is to fire him. 

This entire discussion was done in the context that 2018 was the final year on his contract/