Game 4—UT Chattannoga

clarkwgriswold

The Choo-Choos of UT Chattanooga head into the JAR Tuesday night to face the Zips.  The Mocs are 3-3 having beaten Hiwasee, Alabama State and Tennessee Wesleyan with losses to Wyoming, Jacksonville State and UAB.  Their head coach is a familiar name, Lamont Paris, who many will remember as a name mentioned for the Zips job last year.  Their leading scorer is Makinde London, a 6-10 junior forward who started his college career at Xavier.

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Didn't want to start a new thread, but thought someone should mention BUGS was taken down 88-83 last night to... wait for it... Abilene Christian :rofl:

I am from Painesville, home of the mighty Lake Erie College (enrollment ~1,000) Storm.  The Storm (3-3, GLIAC) took BG to overtime at the Stroh before falling by 3.

Though it's early, the MAC is currently 16th of 32 teams in RPI.  RPI forecast has the league forecasted to finish 10th between the MWC and WCC, which would be fantastic (and 2 spots ahead of the A-10).  The Zips should be favored for the next 5 non-conference games leading into the tournament matchup with USC.

As for this game, the Mocs at 1-3 overall are in the bottom 3rd or RPI.  I'm hoping for a double digit win here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Didn't want to start a new thread, but thought someone should mention BUGS was taken down 88-83 last night to... wait for it... Abilene Christian :rofl:

It also needs to be noted that Can't State has dropped 3 in a row to SE Louisiana, Valpo, and Loyola Chicago. :rofl:

By the way, BGSU was 2-4 pts behind Akron in the MAC East pre-season poll, FWIW.

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

It's damn good news every time they lose. I hope they lose every game they play, and lose to us by 100.

Well then I guess you don't care about SOS, RPI and all the other stuff that comes in to play when post season selections/seedings are made.  My bad :thumb:

I posted above about the BUGS loss but, actually, I'm with @a-zip in regards to the MAC & OOC schedules.  At least once a week I check up on how all the MAC schools are doing & am always hoping for them to win.  I'll do the same with football come bowl season.  I just thought I'd get a comical dig in on BUGS. Now K.ent on the other hand?  I hope they lose every game. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know we are talking about different sports here, but don't tell me you wouldn't have rather faced Kent with stakes on the line for both teams last Tuesday. I'm glad we won and glad we are where we are, but a competitive Kent makes it more fun.

Look no further than OU and why some consider them a bigger rival than Kent anymore.

Edited by LZIp

5 hours ago, a-zip said:

Well then I guess you don't care about SOS, RPI and all the other stuff that comes in to play when post season selections/seedings are made.  My bad :thumb:

Because Kent being good has helped us in that regard before? You think Wichita needed anyone else to be good in the MVC to become a power? Gonzaga didn't need anyone. We sure as hell don't need Kent. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Because Kent being good has helped us in that regard before? You think Wichita needed anyone else to be good in the MVC to become a power? Gonzaga didn't need anyone. We sure as hell don't need Kent. 

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Spot on post. Gonzaga and Wichita State became nationally respected powerhouses by winning games that truly matter in the NCAA tournament. Then they scheduled quality opponents in the OOC portion of their respective schedules, and won a majority of those games, too. 

I don't care a lick if a directional Michigan school, or Can't, or O-Who loses every single game. I worry about Akron, and Akron only. The MAC as a conference blows, thus so much discussion over the years of getting out of it. 

The MAC didn't lose to Gonzaga in '09, Notre Dame in '11, and VCU in '13; we did. 

Just about the only times I have ever rooted for a MAC school was Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl, and in the NCAA soccer tournament this year. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

The WCC and MVC have been leaps and bounds better than the MAC over the last 2 decades. We don't need Kent to be good per say, but a better MAC as a whole would certainly help with recruiting, raising fan interest, providing more quality match-ups, potential at-large opportunities, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The WCC and MVC have been leaps and bounds better than the MAC over the last 2 decades. We don't need Kent to be good per say, but a better MAC as a whole would certainly help with recruiting, raising fan interest, providing more quality match-ups, potential at-large opportunities, etc. 

Kreed5120 wins the prize for first using the dreaded "at large" in 2017-2018 basketball thread.:rolleyes:

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

We don't need Kent to be good per say, but a better MAC as a whole would certainly help with recruiting, raising fan interest, providing more quality match-ups, potential at-large opportunities, etc. 

That's why I stated above that the MAC raising its profile does not mean that you have to hope that Kent becomes massively successful.