Game 4—UT Chattannoga

clarkwgriswold

Saw some things I liked, and some I didn't tonight. Defense was very good in the first half, rotation was nice, crashed the boards.. second half seemed like we were a half step behind getting back. Lot of 3 on 2 fastbreaks that led to some fouls. Not sure if that's a depth thing and not much left in the tank but that needs addressed. 

Offensively a lot more movement than I'm used to seeing from a Zips team. A lot of cuts to the basket that we didn't recognize and make the pass for an easy basket, but that will get fixed as they gel. Utomi, man. I haven't seen another MAC game yet but I'm pretty sure no one has the talent of Utomi, Ivey and Duvivier. If the 4-8 guys can continue to develop we'll be a force in the conference, per usual. Little worried about our inside game, but I'm sure some Warriors fans were thinking that a few years ago. If we can use our speed and athleticism to impose our game and make teams adapt instead of playing someone else's game, they'll be alright.

Good and bad tonight.

Glad to see Ivey get into the flow of the game.  If he gets out on the break and gets a couple of shots to go, it completely opens up his game.  I am very pleased with the improved free throw shooting.  It is becoming more and more apparent that Salyes is our best option as a big man.  I was also very happy to see a zone dropped in unexpectedly.  The 1-3-1 with two minutes left threw a curve UTC was not expecting.  Good to see Kostelac get some minutes as we'll need big man minutes as the season wears on.  As I said a couple of weeks ago, Utomi may lead the MAC in scoring.  With our limited post play, we need him and others on the boards as they were tonight.

Interior defense was really iffy tonight.  40 points in the paint are too many.  Also, the defense was out of position too often when trying to jump into passing lanes.  Parrish gave up too many in that fashion tonight.

All in all, more god than bad.  Nice start so far to the Groce era.

13 steals!  That's a change.   Listening to Groce on the way home...he's pushing that diet and fitness.  I think they have a nutritionist on speed dial they called call when they are reaching for a pizza slice.  Also, I think being fit and caring about that gives them loads of confidence.   Tonight's team at the end reminded me of the old Ohio U team...whacking at the ball and getting steals.  That was an exciting game.   I think the team needed something close and tough.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Man if Utomi can keep developing on that inside game and banging like that, I'm not sure who in the MAC is going to slow him down, let alone stop him.

I'm not saying KD held players back, but it seemed like there was never a breakout star during his era. Yeah, guys like Zeke we're fun to watch. But nobody was that 20+ consistent scoring threat. Hopefully Utomi can be that guy!

• Like 2

We played 3 centers tonight, Poke, Sales and Kostelac.  I think that Sales will soon be the starter because Poke just looks like he is struggling.   He just does not have the big body on defense to defend and gets pushed around too much to be a good rebounder.  I like his effort but he just seems like he does not have instinctively basketball moves to defend.  He had a great block tonight.   I was surprised to see Kostelac get so much time because he only played a few minutes the first 3 games.  He took one jump hook that was off target.  However, he is a big body.  If he could develop a post game it would be great.  He knows how to box out and defend.  

Jimond had his best game tonight.  I think he needs to stay away from the 3 ball.  I never thought he was a great 3 ball shooter.  It is so nice that we were taking short jump shots.  Every shot does not have to be a 3.  This team is very physical compared to the typical KD team.  If you drive the middle you will have guys jumping at you.  Only saw one uncontested layup.  With the KD team you would always see the penetration off  the high screen.  Not happening with this team.  Very disciplined on defense.  

Utomi hit a clutch 3 at the end of the game.  Tenn threw the ball away when they had a chance to close the gap.  Looking forward to the Marshall game.  Go Zips!!!