Game 4—UT Chattannoga

clarkwgriswold

ABJ: Zips hold on for victory over Mocs

Nothing in this article you wouldn't know if you had been at last night's game. But there are two great photo's of Sayles' posterizing 2nd-half dunk :rock:

For years... and I mean decades... until reading this thread, I had thought "Mocs" was short for Moccasins.  Mocking Birds, eh? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Zips hold on for victory over Mocs....there are two great photo's of Sayles' posterizing 2nd-half dunk :rock:

Nice photos (six) from Phil Masturzo. I'm probably wrong, but I don't remember the BJ sending a photographer this early in the season. ??

5a1e34b8b531b.jpg

photo by Phil Masturzo

Like others have said, I liked Ivey's game last night. That's what we need from him going forward. Take it to the hole when there is an opening and let the jump shots come to you. We need make some mistakes that lead me to think we aren't a very good team right now, albeit winning. Was it Parrish who had a dumb foul towards the end of the game?? Anyways, hopefully those types of mistakes are just a sign of youth and we'll continue to work those kinks out.

Utomi...........sheesh. We are 4 games into his sophomore season, and I haven't been a fan near as long as some of you, but I think he's the best all around player I've seen in the program. If he can continue to score like he has been, I think we can hang with anyone on our schedule. Then again, his off nights could be ugly because it seems we are really only getting more than a bucket here and there out of Utomi, Ivey, Duvivier, Sayles, and sometimes Parrish. The only consistent one seems like its been Utomi.

Edited by LZIp

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Then again, his off nights could be ugly because it seems we are really only getting more than a bucket here and there out of Utomi, Ivey, Duvivier, Sayles, and sometimes Parrish. The only consistent one seems like its been Utomi.

As I've commented before, I keep waiting to see where that true "scorer" will come from, to compliment Utomi.   I think it might end up being Parrish.  He seems to have that ability and makeup, and is getting the minutes.  We'll see if he starts to take more opportunities in the coming games.

But with Patton in the starting lineup, I'm wondering if the coaches see him as having that potential?  But for a starter, his minutes are still low, and his turnovers and fouls last night in limited action were a bit troubling.  

We'll see where this goes after after a few more games.   

Last night was just what the doctor ordered in my eyes. So far this season, we've had a come from behind win, a wire-to-wire win, a difficult road loss, and a win where we had a double digit lead slip away, but still held on for a tight victory. 

Talk about getting these young guys experience in multiple scenarios. 

I can't believe Utomi didn't play more last year. The guy is a pure scorer and all around player. He does it all from defense, to driving to the basket, to jump shots (especially beyond the arc). I think he will be the MAC POY, and will put us in a position to greatly exceed expectations and predictions. 

Sayles is going to be a stud. He looks so comfortable no matter where he is on the court, and he knows how to finish. A 6'9" 225 lbs freshman with athleticism and poise; I love it. 

This was Ivey's best game of the season, and he needs to watch, re-watch, replay the tape in his sleep, wake up, and re-watch yet again the replay of this game to see how he let the game come to him. 

Parrish had his worst game of the season, but that's ok. He's still a contributor and hit a huge 3 from the corner. 

Patton was quiet but fundamentally sound.

Kostelac had a nice game. I think he's starting to get up to speed a bit more. He's definitely more athletic than most freshman big man we've had, it's just a matter of him catching up to DI basketball speed and developing. What I really like is the team's game plan doesn't change when he's in because he can run pretty well. 

Duvivier is the perfect veteran leader for this team. 

Cotton plays fundamentally sound defense, and I love it. His offensive game isn't quite there yet, but he'll be just fine. 

Again, congrats to Lamont Paris for landing this coaching gig with UT Chattanooga. He's going to be good for that program, and I hope we see them on the schedule in future years. Paris is nothing but a class act. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1

Agree with everything here.  I think it was Kostelac who had the really touchy foul at the end after UTC inbounded.  I love the 2 point jump shots.  When a team is making those pull up and shoot 2 pointers, you know they are playing well.  Was a bit disappointed with the missed front end of one and ones at the end, but they weren't critical.  Only having 2 fouls coming into the final minute bit UTC.  I, too, thought this game was awesome for fans and players because it was tense, scrappy (Scrappy the Mockingbird in their mascot), physical, fast-paced.   Parrish was looking a little winded.  Ivey forgot he had to call the time out not the coach.  I saw Groce order Kostelac across to run over and set a screen and he did.  You can tell how Groce is taking care of Jimond...keeping him calm and treating like a leader.   Ivey did the post game with French.  If I were opposing team and sensed Malcolm was getting hot I would immediately call time out.  Malcolm needs a rhythm.  Groce wants that ball down the court fast.  Love it.  Fun to watch .

Edited by NWAkron

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Zips hold on for victory over Mocs

Nothing in this article you wouldn't know if you had been at last night's game. But there are two great photo's of Sayles' posterizing 2nd-half dunk :rock:

For years... and I mean decades... until reading this thread, I had thought "Mocs" was short for Moccasins.  Mocking Birds, eh? :lol:

According to Wikipedia it is short for Moccasins.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga_Mocs

4 minutes ago, GJGood said:

According to Wikipedia it is short for Moccasins.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga_Mocs

The term "Moc" is short for "Mockingbird." Mockingbirds are fiercely territorial creatures which protect their homes with courage, determination and skill. Those attributes reflect the intellect, spirit and character of UTC student-athletes and alumni. A Moc is a champion on the playing surface, in the classroom and, most importantly, in life. 

http://www.gomocs.com/sports/2015/4/22/GEN_2014010154.aspx

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already or not because I haven't read every post, but we are winning games pretty much the opposite of the way we used to. We actually have a higher free throw percentage than our opponents, we seem to out-rebound our opponents and when some one has the hot hand, coach Groce actually lets them dominate. The change in philosophy is very refreshing!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Nice photos (six) from Phil Masturzo. I'm probably wrong, but I don't remember the BJ sending a photographer this early in the season. ??

5a1e34b8b531b.jpg

photo by Phil Masturzo

A split second after that snap shot Sayles got smacked right in the face by that UTC defender. Should have been a foul and maybe even a flagrant 1.

37 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I actually really like the gray uniforms. Probably because they actually have some gold on them. Now if only there was some gold on the navy and whites...maybe next year.

I really HATED the all black with the Z.  And we always seemed to lose when we wore them.  These gray ones are modern and have our colors.  Thumbs up.

• Like 1

I guess I didn't mind the colors but I am still not a fan of the script Akron.

I was waiting to see how this team would respond when pushed in a tight game. I was happy with the response last night. I still expect a pretty up and down season though. For me the goal this year is simply to make a national postseason tournament.

• 1 year later...

Since we have the UTC pipeline (and one of my best friends works at UTC), I keep an eye on what the Mockingbids and Lamont Paris are doing.   He was 10-23 (3-15) last year.  He's 10-10 (5-2) so far this year.   Watched the end of their game with Citadel today.   It was close but they won.  Made some clutch shots and free throws.   College of Wooster grad and former Akron asst as you all know.

16 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Since we have the UTC pipeline (and one of my best friends works at UTC), I keep an eye on what the Mockingbids and Lamont Paris are doing.   He was 10-23 (3-15) last year.  He's 10-10 (5-2) so far this year.   Watched the end of their game with Citadel today.   It was close but they won.  Made some clutch shots and free throws.   College of Wooster grad and former Akron asst as you all know.

And one of the nicest human beings you will ever meet. Glad to hear he's making the turnaround!

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

And one of the nicest human beings you will ever meet. Glad to hear he's making the turnaround!

My cousin who works at UTC said the same thing.  He may have been what we needed.   In a few years, Zips may not be the attractive landing point for a coach that we were two years ago.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

My cousin who works at UTC said the same thing.  He may have been what we needed.   In a few years, Zips may not be the attractive landing point for a coach that we were two years ago.

The dude went 10-23 last year and is .500 this year. What exactly has he done to make it seem like he was what we needed? I also see no reason we couldn't poach him if it shows to be the case.

Edited by LZIp