Elite 8 - Friday night Dec. 1 - Akron at Louisville

Someone pick me up off the ground.  I died after the second redhead save.  Then...wow.  Outstand soccer match and both teams went after it, didn’t play pack ‘em in...and the refs let ‘em play the last 15 minutes plus ot....wow....philadelphia.  HERE WE COME!  Fear the Roo Dammit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SBZipfan said:

Great win for the Zips!

I admit that after the 2nd PK save by the Louisville goalie, I started to think that maybe it wasn't to be ... so glad the team was able to come out on top in the end.

On to the College Cup!

Dude, I was in knots.  Cards fans celebrating all about me.

As I said on here prior to the game, we are the possession team and UL struggles with that. They are forced to pack-it-in defensively and counter attack. What I did not expect was the effect that field size and turf would have on our ability to attack. The field was narrow making it more difficult to spread UL out and benefit from our control of the ball. UL played compact and stout defense. The turf led to a lot of slipping, taking away our technical and speed advantage. Rather than the crowd and travel, these were really UL's home-field advantage. Without them (or rather, with the game at UA), I think we win 2-0 in regulation.

I have no idea how Cordeiro didn't score one of his 3-4 chances. Towards the end of the first half, it looked like the ball came across too fast or he was out of stride to get anything on it. Literally, any contact with the ball in that situation would have put it in. Other than 15 minutes in the first half and 5 minutes in overtime, UL was not dangerous. Even their best chances were not real threats to score; unfortunately, the same could be said for all of ours except Cordiero's near touch at the end of the first half and his one-on-one near the end of regulation.

UL's goalie was solid...as was ours. Moutinho, De Vera, and Gainford were also particularly strong for us. Harter and Holthusen disappeared for large portions of the game. I woulda liked to have seen more of Egbo and Kahsay to change the dynamic up top. It was clear UL was tired, mentally and physically, but our offense was missing that spark to punish them for it. Both Egbo and Kahsay are proven players, capable of scoring. I wish Embick wasn't so conservative with their time, especially after the stagnation around 75'+ and at times during OT.

I was impressed by our patience and discipline, but equally frustrated by our reluctance to be more aggressive in attacking. Given that we had relatively few opportunities, I think the balance between possession and being more attack minded was unfavorable. We have to have more urgency in the future. Getting to PK's is generally a victory for the other team as it gives them a 50-50 opportunity to advance in spite of a discrepancy in talent, technical ability, or overall play. It's the electoral college or gerrymandering of sports. Most of the time, we looked complacent enough to be the team needing PK's to advance.

Going into PK's, I had a bad feeling. How many times have we been eliminated from the NCAAT on PK's?...I can think of at least four...Maryland, 2005ish, UVA 2009, and more recently by Ohio State and Stanford. It's a terrible way to end the season, particularly when we are clearly the better team and the opponent is packing-it--in and hoping to get to PK's as their best chance to advance.

In spite of the history and hatred on here for Lolla, he is pretty diplomatic and seems indifferent about playing us. He's proven to me that he is a classy competitor. Lolla was dressed as the quintessential urban metrosexual...looked like he was ready to go out for NYE dinner in NYC. I don't know why, but I found that interesting and funny.

See everyone in Philly! If you'd like to meet in person and sit together during the game, PM me.

Edited by UAZipster0305

On 11/27/2017 at 6:44 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

No time for 'Woe is me. If we just had the 4 seed.' The Zips' seeding in this tournament was fair. Our Zips can do this, but they have to want it more than Louisville. Given the way the Zips looked at the end of regulation v Wisconsin, I'm not sure that is the case. It's time to see if Jared, staff, and team can do something that Caleb Porter, staff, and team could not ... get to the College Cup without having a top 4 seed. Others have done it, but they wanted it more than their opponent and found the way to grind it out. Hopefully, these Zips will do the same and stop looking to the referees when they get a little bump. Man up. Hard nose soccer gets it done in this tournament.

Go Zips!!!

Your post is ridiculous. I think it is very clear to everyone that both players, coaches and staff were well worthy of their win on PK's this past weekend and for you to question their "wanting it more" is out of character. Get behind this team - don't question their effort. Their smiles on their faces Saturday night reassured me they want to win it as much as we want them to win it. Belana played out of his mind in midfield. Cannot ever question his desire. 

I would like to know when this team has "looked to referees after a bump"? Could maybe question that in the past with Nagbe and Richie Laryea but I do not feel this team is as soft as in the past. 

Bringing up Embick and Porter is same context is irrelevant. Porters Akron days are over. Embick is out of his shadow now. He has done EVERYTHING  Porter did her except win that title. My hotel is booked for Philly until Monday and I expect this team to take the title home. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Your post is ridiculous. I think it is very clear to everyone that both players, coaches and staff were well worthy of their win on PK's this past weekend and for you to question their "wanting it more" is out of character. Get behind this team - don't question their effort. Their smiles on their faces Saturday night reassured me they want to win it as much as we want them to win it. Belana played out of his mind in midfield. Cannot ever question his desire. 

I would like to know when this team has "looked to referees after a bump"? Could maybe question that in the past with Nagbe and Richie Laryea but I do not feel this team is as soft as in the past. 

Bringing up Embick and Porter is same context is irrelevant. Porters Akron days are over. Embick is out of his shadow now. He has done EVERYTHING  Porter did her except win that title. My hotel is booked for Philly until Monday and I expect this team to take the title home. 

These Zips and Coach Embick and staff are awesome. My post was over the top in response to the remarks about the 5 seed v the 4 seed.  As far as looking to the referees about a bump, take a look at our forwards some time. I attend most every match. It happens at times. My challenge was "man up; it's the NCAA Tourney. You're not going to get easy calls and often they won't be fair". As far as the remark about Jared/Caleb...Friday night Jared did something Caleb didn't...he is taking the Zips to the College Cup without having  all home games in the NCAA Tourney through the Elite 8! Jared's coaching and development of this team this season has been nothing less than stellar. The team that advanced to the College Cup on Friday at Louisville is not the same team that lost to UVU and Denver in August. Their development has been pure pleasure to watch. I'm sorry if I offended you with what I wrote as a challenge to them. I love this team, its players, and its coaches. I'm a season ticket holder and UA Alum who has followed them on the road as well as at home all season and for numerous years past. I proudly and loudly supported them at Louisville and will be in Philadelphia to do the same. Hotel booked for semi-final and Championship matches! Go Zips!!!

Edited by Zip_ME87

2 hours ago, YipaZip said:

Welcome aboard newbie!  We are glad to have your passion for our Zips team and followers.  However, you are out of place to ever question the loyalty and confidence board members like Zip-ME87 place in our team.  His post was an effort to motivate the team to perform beyond their highest effort of this season -- and I might well believe it succeeded!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, YipaZip said:

Your posting is pointed and succinct.  I like your sentence structure.  I love your fervor.  You have a distinct voice and it is certainly welcome here.  Return often.

But you need not ever doubt the devotion of Zip_ME87 to Zips Soccer.  He does not need me vouching for him, but I will anyway.

Perhaps he did not articulate precisely (this once), but you can always assume he is pulling for the Zips Soccer.  No bout a doubt it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our freshmen Center Backs are the backbone of this team, to the surprise of everyone except maybe our coaches.  These two are very different type players who compliment each other uncannily well.  Moutinho is unorthodox and daring.  Strachan is fundamental and rock steady.  They are ying and yang.  There is currently no better tandem in NCAA.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, YipaZip said:

I too am glad to have new voices here, but you've posted twice...once to rip me about a humorous post (at least I tried it to be) about Jared's shirt selecton at an earlier match and now ME87s post that was made a week before the match....you come on and question him after the match????  Maybe come on the forum a little more, read up on our comments and don't get all "attack doggy" on us, please?

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 10:39 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

For those traveling to Louisville, we are being joined by the goal scorer from that significant victory vs Louisville.

Zips Men's Soccer and University of Akron Alumnus, Scott Caldwell, and his father plan to be in attendance Friday night.

I never get tired of seeing this...

Edited by Zip_ME87

I found it interesting that one the commentators for the Louisville-Akron game was Bob Valvano, brother of NC State Men's Basketball 1983 National Championship coach and founder of the V Foundation, Jim Valvano. The game was played days after I watched the beautiful, moving, and entertaining, 30 For 30: Survive and Advance, which chronicles the story of the 1983 NC State team and the amazing person Jim Valvano was. I recommend it to all ZNO faithful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Valvano

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Valvano

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982–83_NC_State_Wolfpack_men's_basketball_team

• Like 1