Zips Dominate Pool

ZipsVoice

Lots going on in Zips sports, with the Football program's winning the MAC East, Men's soccer going to the Elite 8, and men's and women's basketball starting up.  Easy to overlook our 4 time defending MAC Champion swimmers and divers.  The women went to Cleveland for the Magnus Cup and dominated, with Maddy Myers cleaning house in the 100 back, 200 IM, 50 breast and the 100 IM, where she is now the fastest in the nation NCAA.  Paloma Marrero, Ellie Nebraska, Sadie Fazekas, Paulina Nogaj, Brooke Lamoureux, all winners.  Relays dominated.  Carly Krail won both 1 and 3 meter dives.  I know all eyes will be on Cub Cadet field Friday eveing and Ford Field at noon on Saturday and the JAR that afternnon, but this weekend the Zippys host their own Zippy Invitational for three days/nights Friday thru Sunday, and these women deserve some attention.  Stop by Ocacek if you get a chance, you'll be amazed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, this season began and I thought maybe Coach Peresie's Zips were gonna be a little off the past few seasons.  Four MAC championships in a row...maybe a letdown coming.  This year's Zippy Invitational proved me waaay wrong.  I know most Zip fans were fixating on Louisville and Detroit and Huntington and even the JAR this weekend.  Too bad, 'cause you missed some stellar swimming.  Friday - New meet record for Zips in the 200 free relay (Sadie Fazekas, Susan Franz, Morgan Waggoner, Maddy Myers), then Paloma Marrero wins the 200 IM and the 400 Medley Relay team sets a new meet and new pool record (Myers, Marrero, Paulina Nogaj and Fazekas).  Myers Fazekas and Franz go 2 thru 4 in the 50 free.  Not a bad start.  Saturday - new meet and pool record in the 200 Medley Relay (Myers, Marrero, Fazekas and Franz), then Jackie Pash gets a new meet and pool record in the 400 IM.  Nogaj takes the 100 fly with a new meet and pool record.  Fazekas gets "just" a meet record in the 200 free, then Marrero and Paula Garcia go 1-2 in the 100 breast.  Myers gets a meet and pool record in the 100 back and the 800 free relay team sets a new pool and meet record (Pash, Garcia, Nogaj and Marrero).  Maybe a tired team on Sunday?  Meet and Pool record for Marrero in the 200 breast, Nogaj gets a meet record n the 200 fly and the Zips go 1-4 with Mackenzie Vargas, Jessica Bonezzi and Alisa Tsypin 2nd thru 4th.  And they cap off the meet with a new pool and meet record in the 400 free relay (Fazekas, Waggoner, Ellie Nebraska and Franz).

Dominance.  You'd think things would level off in the 5th year of Coach B's reign here, but records keep falling like the temperature is about to do in December.  And the team is so deep too.  Gotta favor them to take MAC Title #5 in a row.....

Edited by ZipsVoice
Fat fingers

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
17 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Congrats to Paulina Nogales for being named MAC Swimmer of the Week!  She is STRONG, deserving, taking on leadership role after Paloma Marrera graduated.  She’ll be in NCAAs in March, I believe...

Please correct the spelling of her name.  It is NOGAJ.  Pronunciation is no-guy