2018 Zips in Pro Leagues - Domestic and International

I was looking to see if LA Football Club would be broadcasting their games on any TV channels available to me here in Hawai'i.  I've watched LA Galaxy for >20 years, and many Chivas USA games were available until they fell into disrepute (!).  This is quite disconcerting to an old guy like me!  Not only do you have to pay $35 a month, but...How in the world do you watch "YouTubeTV" if you wanted to, anyhow?   Sad for me and Joao!  :(

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-lafc-youtube-20180131-story.html

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

"A big thing is people need to spread more positivity man.  Like holding a door open for someone or buying someone a coffee.  Or if you go to McDonalds leave an extra $10 so someone might get a free meal because of that.  If we pass along positivity and don't let things take you down and you don't let injuries or jobs get you down, that will ultimately lead to spreading more happiness positivity and joy.  And that's contagious.  If I see someone having a good day I want to have a good day"  -- Zarek Valentin"

THIS is why Z-Man is my favorite Zip!!

• Like 1

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/890839?referrer_id=2333971

The visitors took the lead in the 60th minute as left back Joao Moutinho moved forward into the attacking third and fired a low shot that tucked just inside the right post.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/24/los-angeles-football-club-gearing-up-for-final-preseason-game-against-sacramento-republic/

Rookie defenders Joao Moutinho (first pick) and Tristan Blackmon (third) have more than held their own in camp.

“Both have done really well,” Bradley said. “What I like is that they show every day, they compete, they try to play (soccer) and they’re not afraid and on the back foot.

• Like 1

https://www.lafc.com/post/2018/02/25/4-takeaways-lafcs-1-0-win-sacramento

With the start of the MLS season a week away, LAFC secured its first win of the preseason courtesy of a goal from João Moutinho. The Black & Gold now turns its attention to the Sounders, as it travels to Seattle for the first competitive match in Club history on March 4.

Here are four takeaways from LAFC’s 1-0 win over Sacramento Republic FC:

João’s Nets His First

Since being selected with the No. 1 overall pick by LAFC in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, defender João Moutinho has had a nearly seamless transition to the next level. In each of LAFC’s previous three preseason games, Moutinho has shown poise in possession, a great understanding of the game, and the ability to keep up with the accelerated pace of MLS play versus the college game. Against Sacramento, he proved he can add to the score line, too.

Identifying a large swath of space some 35 yards from the Republic goal, Moutinho raced onto a lateral pass from Carlos Vela and made straight for the penalty area. As the Sacramento defenders continued to backpedal, Mountinho kept his wits about him, coolly slotting a low shot into the side netting. The game’s only goal served to show the rookie has no problem recognizing opportunities when they are given.

And even more importantly, he has the skills to take advantage.

Zips in MLS on TV next weekend:

Saturday, March 3rd

1 pm ET TorontoFC v Crew SC (Wil Trapp), SPCSPRT (Spectrum Sports, I think for those with TWC/Spectrum)

Sunday, March 4th

5 pm ET, Sounders v LAFC (Joao Moutinho), ESPN

7:30 pm ET, Sporting KC v NYCFC (Saad Abdul-Salaam, Jon Lewis), FS1

10 pm ET Galaxy (Perry Kitchen, Nate Shultz?) v Timbers (Zarek Valentin), FS1

Edited by Zip_ME87

Joao Moutinho poised for breakout rookie season with LAFC

Soccer by Ives

EDIT:

..."I knew that America was the land of opportunity and coming here was going to be good for me," Moutinho said. "I definitely wanted to go pro some day, but I know it's a risk. It's always better to have a plan B if a soccer career doesn't work out. I needed to make a change and Akron gave me that chance."

The Lisbon native didn't know much about the American college soccer landscape, but it didn't take him long to figure out he had made a good decision.

"After a few games I noticed that the teams didn't really try to play the ball on the ground," Moutinho said. "They would kick it up there and try to get it by strength. So I was really happy that I went to Akron, because that's not the way we play. We tried to pass it around, tried to get to the final third with combinations. I definitely went to the right school."...

Edited by Zip_ME87

2 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Hey there Zip_ME87, 

Are you hearing any scuttlebutt on the Crew Stadium vs. Austin thingy from your contacts with the Trapps?  Curious what's happening there....

I haven't asked, but I don't think they know any more than we do.

https://fansided.com/2018/02/28/10-potential-breakout-players-for-the-2018-mls-season/

Jonathan Lewis is #6 on this list of potential breakout players

They also have Adam at #10 on their list of breakout players.....However, sadly, this reporter has not done any research as the Union will pay a huge amount of money for a foreign player to play the position that Adam plays

http://www.thereporteronline.com/sports/20180301/union-finally-seals-deal-with-dockal

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TennZip said:

[Joao Moutinho] ... The Portuguese defender is far and away the best soccer player in the rookie class, the task then becomes being consistent enough to stick.

57 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Damn, that passes me off!  Zarek is the last Zip left in Portland, and he's languishing on the bench!  There's no question Ben can play at MLS level.  He had a fine season last year.  Now he has to fight his way back up, which from his position could be difficult.

You can consider me now semi-officially an LAFC fan!   :D

Edited by Z.I.P.

I have a question. When the Crew moves to Texas, will they still have territorial rights over Ohio?

Right now that only affects Wil, who is signed through 2020 anyway. But could future prospects be territorial picks by a franchise 1300 miles away?

3 hours ago, Spin said:

I have a question. When the Crew moves to Texas, will they still have territorial rights over Ohio?

Right now that only affects Wil, who is signed through 2020 anyway. But could future prospects be territorial picks by a franchise 1300 miles away?

If you are referring to Home Grown rights, that has nothing to do with geographical location. HG refers to developing a player in the team's development system. However, I don't understand all of the intricacies of when and how long the player had to be in an MLS club's development system in order for that team to claim HG rights.

Edit: My guess is the Crew will be able to claim HG rights to Colin Biros if they so choose even if they are in Texas if/when he decides to go pro.

Edited by Zip_ME87