Freshman Joao Moutinho - Hermann Trophy semifinalist

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

Is he going pro after this season?

Chances of that seem to have increased with this recognition. The only way for him to enter MLS draft as an underclassman is with a Generation Adidas signing, I believe.

Edited by Zip_ME87

23 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

I've heard he was an unbelievable player on the fast track to the big leagues before his car accident. 

Sounds like another Steve Zakuani story. I don't recall what Steve's injury was, but I remember reading that Caleb found him in England, and he had had some injury which held him back through moving up through the development system over there. I'll have to do some research on Joao. I wouldn't expect our SID or the Akron BJ  to provide any backstory.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Sounds like another Steve Zakuani story. I don't recall what Steve's injury was, but I remember reading that Caleb found him in England, and he had had some injury which held him back through moving up through the development system over there. I'll have to do some research on Joao. I wouldn't expect our SID or the Akron BJ  to provide any backstory.

I like the abbreviation "Akron BJ" because that newspaper sure does suck.

38 minutes ago, AyYo said:

I like the abbreviation "Akron BJ" because that newspaper sure does suck.

There was purpose in my use of it.  ?

Edited by Zip_ME87

9 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Zakuani

2 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Thanks but that doesn’t have the story about his injury as a youth before coming to Akron. 

At the age of nine, Zakuani attracted interest from West Ham United's youth program. He later tried out for the youth team of Queens Park Rangers, and in 1997, he joined the Arsenal Academy. Zakuani became cocky and brash while not focusing on schoolwork and was released. His off-the-field issues culminated in serious injuries when he was involved in a crash while riding on a moped that one of his friends had stolen. Zakuani was unable to play for 18 months. After losing interest in soccer and renewing his efforts in school, his teacher and mentor Paul Goodison took him to watch motivational speaker and evangelist Myles Munroe. This inspired Zakuani to renew his commitment to becoming a professional player and, although unsuccessful, he tried out for the senior teams of Queens Park Rangers, Wigan Athletic, AZ Alkmaar, and Real Valladolid.[1]

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

At the age of nine, Zakuani attracted interest from West Ham United's youth program. He later tried out for the youth team of Queens Park Rangers, and in 1997, he joined the Arsenal Academy. Zakuani became cocky and brash while not focusing on schoolwork and was released. His off-the-field issues culminated in serious injuries when he was involved in a crash while riding on a moped that one of his friends had stolen. Zakuani was unable to play for 18 months. After losing interest in soccer and renewing his efforts in school, his teacher and mentor Paul Goodison took him to watch motivational speaker and evangelist Myles Munroe. This inspired Zakuani to renew his commitment to becoming a professional player and, although unsuccessful, he tried out for the senior teams of Queens Park Rangers, Wigan Athletic, AZ Alkmaar, and Real Valladolid.[1]

Thanks. my bad. Didn’t read the right section. I remembered it being some type of vehicle accident. 

3 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

I would love to learn the juicy details surrounding the Grand Theft Moped perpetration.

I guess in the past I never heard what type of vehicle and always thought it was a car accident. A stolen moped...humorous.