Game 6—IPFW Mastodons

clarkwgriswold

Most importantly, Mastodons is a fantastic team name.  We can only hope they're big and slow.

The Mastodons come to the JAR at 5-3, with wins over UIC, Delaware State, Defiance, Detrot Mercy and UI Kokomo and losses to Oakland, East Tennessee State and Kentucky.  6-1 senior guard, Purdue transfer, Bryson Scott leads the Mastodons at 22.1 ppg.  6-5 junior guard John Konchar averages 14 ppg and 9.8 rebounds.

Scouting The Mastodons -- Fort Wayne enters the game with a three-game winning streak and a 6-3 overall record. The Mastodons ended a two-game losing skid against Kentucky (86-67) and ETSU (83-73) with a trio of wins over Detroit Mercy (91-82), IUKokomo (99-63), and SIUE (86-71). Fort Wayne. averages 83.7 points per outing on 45.0 percent shooting from the floor and a 36.6 percent effort from beyond the 3-point arc, draining 10.8 triples a game. 

The 'Dons have three players scoring in double figures led by Bryson Scott with 23.1 points per game on 46.9 percent shooting from the field and 31.6 percent rate from beyond the 3-point with a second-best 18 made 3-pointers. He is the team leader in free throws made (56) and percentage (.836) while adding 46 rebounds, 31 assists, and 18 steals. John Konchar nearly averages a double-double with 13.8 points and a team-high 9.8 rebounds per game. He shoots 47.4 percent from the floor and 42.5 percent from deep with 17 triples, while grabbing a team-best 88 rebounds.. Kason Harrell adds 12.6 points per game to the mix. In addition, the Mastodons have buried 97 triples as a team with six players clocking double-digit made 3-point buckets.

Defensively, Fort Wayne limits its opponents to 72.3 points per game on 42.9 percent shooting from the floor and 31.4 percent from 3-point range, allowing only 6.7 long distance strikes per night. The Mastodons have caused 161 turnovers (17.9 to/g) with 72 steals (8.0 stl/g), and boasts a 5.2 advantage on the glass, outrebounding their opponents 353-306.

45 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Excitement is building.

After a 22 point loss, on a Wednesday night, against an unfamiliar opponent?  Do you know something that we don't?

Those t-shirts will be gone by 6:10 pm, and you won't see them in the arena.  The students will make a rare JAR appearance to swipe them up, and take them back to their dorm rooms.  

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

After a 22 point loss, on a Wednesday night, against an unfamiliar opponent?  Do you know something that we don't?

Those t-shirts will be gone by 6:10 pm, and you won't see them in the arena.  The students will make a rare JAR appearance to swipe them up, and take them back to their dorm rooms.  

Sarcasm Skip.  On a 30 degree windy Wednesday night against an unfamiliar opponent, they may have some of those 500 white t-shirts left over.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

On a 30 degree windy Wednesday night against an unfamiliar opponent, they may have some of those 500 white t-shirts left over.

Unbelievable.  I was still thinking that the White Out must have been a joke.  But I guess not.  Why even attempt to waste that idea on a day, opponent, and time of the season like this?

Yes, there might be less than 500 in the arena, so you might THINK that shirts will be left over.  But, you're not counting all of the people I have witnessed walking through the gates at 6pm, grabbing shirts, and walking back out the door.   I'm there an hour early for many of the games.  I've seen it.  

They should hold those shirts until 6:45.  It might help.  

57 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Unbelievable.  I was still thinking that the White Out must have been a joke.  But I guess not.  Why even attempt to waste that idea on a day, opponent, and time of the season like this?

Yes, there might be less than 500 in the arena, so you might THINK that shirts will be left over.  But, you're not counting all of the people I have witnessed walking through the gates at 6pm, grabbing shirts, and walking back out the door.   I'm there an hour early for many of the games.  I've seen it.  

They should hold those shirts until 6:45.  It might help.  

Have them save an Extra Portly for old Clarky.