Game 6—IPFW Mastodons

clarkwgriswold

We missed 16 damn free throws. So much for my early season enthusiasm about the free throw shooting.  Awful perimeter defense tonight too.  League play will be painful if that keeps up.

Nice night for Poke.  Good to see him get some reward for all his hard work.  I think his career points doubled tonight.

Man Poke looked good in the pick and roll tonight and defending the rim. 

I love Parrish's game and the way he rebounds.  

Need more composer from our Sr point gaurd. 

Cotton looked like he belonged tonight. 

Thought Groce did a good job with timeouts to calm his young team down. 

Nice win for the Zips! IPFW can really shoot the rock. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice night for Poke.  Good to see him get some reward for all his hard work.  I think his career points doubled tonight.

You would be just about right.  He had 23 coming into tonight.

What might surprise you is that he's actually 6th on the team in scoring, and probably will move up a spot or two after tonight. 

1.  What's everyone's take on the strength of our out of conference schedule so far?

2.  I really enjoy watching this team.  There's always action.  It's just a completely different vibe than years past where there was always a predictable lull midway through either half.

3.  I get a good laugh every time Groce screams at Parrish for not getting back down the court after he makes a big (or any) basket.

4.  What impressed me tonight is that the Zips were able to make those defensive stops when things really got dicey.

5.  I noticed the FT shooting start to tank at the end of the last home game (I think) when Utomi and possibly Cotton clanked a few as the game came to a close. It hasn't recovered.  Sayles air balled one of his tonight.  You didn't see him back on the court after that.

6.  Lots of turnovers but that has to be a product of the fast pace.  I would say 3 of them were after we stole the ball and then they stole it right back.

7.  Ivey really impressed. 

8.  Macolm for all his missed FTs tonight does stuff our former guards never did.  He drives right into the lane and is willing to get knocked to the floor.  He just bulldozes in there.  And Cotton making those 3s gives us another weapon.

9.  Some of FWs 3s were DJ Cooper style.  But Utomi's three pointers are a thing of beauty.

Poke was good around the basket and showed his offense has improved some.  He range has increased from point blank range dunks to 3 feet.  His free throw shooting has improved.

I like how Groce jumps a kid but then takes a minute to give direction.  He'll also yank a kid, give him hell, then get him back in.  I like the short memory.  His assistants are also well engaged in the process.  

Still not sure how that Smith kid ended up on the floor.  He's not in the yearbook or on the online roster.  I think maybe he won a student raffle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Poke-mon has an amazing ability to get open underneath the hoop.  

It's one of the first things I noticed about him last year.  What he does so well is that he gets to open space near the basket because he can move so much quicker than most defenders that are occupying that area.  

36 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You would be just about right.  He had 23 coming into tonight.

What might surprise you is that he's actually 6th on the team in scoring, and probably will move up a spot or two after tonight. 

There's no way he had 23 career points before tonight

• Haha 1

I thought that Fort Wayne played very good basketball.  They moved the ball well, were good shooters, and played good defense.   We were great on the offensive boards.  Everyone on this team is athletic, can jump and is strong.  It lead to a lot of offensive rebounds and 2nd point shots.  Poke had a career game.  I heard him on the post game, (his first radio interview) and he indicated that his teammates were looking for him and gave him some great passes.  The Zips did a great job of penetrating and dishing.  We also had some great baseline movement without the ball.  I am very impressed with this team and the coaching.  I think we had 11 steals.  I cannot remember our team having that many steals against a solid team.  The played the 1-3-1 zone well and it lead to several turnovers.  Never thought the team would play this well this early.  Looking forward the the next game Saturday.  Go Zips!!

• Like 1

Poke has an amazing FG %. Of course, that happens when the only shots you take are dunks. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I assume the MAC teams will be watching video and will make it a point to box him out. He is turning into a monster underneath, but that's what happens when you can jump over the scoreboard.

Great game, hope he has many many happy reruns.

I didn't watch the beat-down at Marshall, but I liked the progress tonight (except for the FT shooting...they lacked confidence in themselves, ugh!).

Each player is going to grow at different rates and in spurts, especially with 5 freshmen rotating in and out. Cotton looks far more comfortable running the offense/breaks and it's nice to see that he can hit some shots. I'm not surprised at all that Parrish is in the starting line-up (he's going to be really good), but I was surprised that Patton was almost a non-factor tonight. Poke had a great night and flashed some athleticism. The next step for all of our bigs is for them to extend their game further away from the basket. A lot of it is strength and conditioning at this point so they can guard their man out on an island and be able to set proper picks up top without fouling offensively. The bigs also need to develop a go-to shot away from the rim. It doesn't have to be a 3-point shot, although that is ideal. A reliable mid-range game from the free-throw line around to the short corner is also very effective at pulling opponent bigs away from the hoop and opening up lanes for our guards to drive. There is a lot more pick and pop game to develop as well.

The defense tonight showed signs that they are getting it. The intensity will ramp up more and more in time, but they are understanding their roles and getting scrappy. I also like seeing them jumping the passing lanes for steals.

And yes, Groce does not like to see his players jogging back on defense EVER, especially posing after a made 3-pointer. 

Go Zips!!